Xtratime Community banner

761 - 773 of 773 Posts

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Yeah, from player of the season in 11/12 he became a nobody again in the season after. Eventhough he had several better options than NEC in the 11/12 season.

Luckily we already had RKC at home. :yess:

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
Afonso Alves back at Heerenveen :D

as a trialist though to see how much is left in the tank

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Defending in every league (really just football in general) is getting worse the Bundesliga only has a slightly better defense record than the eredivise (after 10 games 296 goals have been conceded in the Bundesliga, 338 have been conceded in Eredivise after 11 games (with exception of 1 match which was postponed...)

Just need to say this too... Just cause a player doesn't make it in England doesn't make him a bad player/leagues he is good in bad because he plays good there (Gervinho is a current example I can think of)

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #766
Alves had that one good game against Man U.

Dunno what happened afterwards. Laziness?
even in Qatar, he's only had one good season http://nl.soccerway.com/players/afonso-alves-martins/2300/

Someone like Asamoah Gyan meanwhile is taking every game there seriously :D he's got an awesome goalscoring rate in the Middle East

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I agree with Ultan, defending is getting worse everywhere, don't know if it is because strikers are more crafty and midfielders more creative or the rules these days don't help defenders. You can hardly go near anyone these days without running the risk of giving away free kicks or penalties.
I think that there is a distinct lack of organisational ability with regard to defenders these days and it is easier to carve out more chances than it used to be.

It will be interesting to see the Alves experiment, Middlesboro must surely have seen more in him than just the game where he scored 7 and there have been plenty of other Brazilians before and after him who hae tried and failed in England too. Sometimes leagues don't suit certain players, doesn't make them bad ones though.

·
FINOALLAFINE
9,248 Posts
Alves had that one good game against Man U.

Dunno what happened afterwards. Laziness?
even in Qatar, he's only had one good season http://nl.soccerway.com/players/afonso-alves-martins/2300/

Someone like Asamoah Gyan meanwhile is taking every game there seriously :D he's got an awesome goalscoring rate in the Middle East
His goalscoring record at Boro wasnt bad at first, he scored 6 in 14 appearances, then scored 7 in 33 appearances. Obviously not what they were hoping for, but it was never going to be easy adapting to the Prem and living in Middsbrough!

Regarding playing in MiddleEast, he's scored 46 in 67 games and been shipped around between 3 clubs in Al-Sadd, Al-Rayyan and Al-Gharafa so not had any consistency. He might be useful back up to Finbogasson, never know

·
FINOALLAFINE
9,248 Posts
Defending in every league (really just football in general) is getting worse the Bundesliga only has a slightly better defense record than the eredivise (after 10 games 296 goals have been conceded in the Bundesliga, 338 have been conceded in Eredivise after 11 games (with exception of 1 match which was postponed...)

Just need to say this too... Just cause a player doesn't make it in England doesn't make him a bad player/leagues he is good in bad because he plays good there (Gervinho is a current example I can think of)
yep this is true. It can be very tough to adapt in England, but doesnt make a player a poor player. Works the same the other way as well, Henry didnt settle in Italy at Juve, then came to England and shone. Some leagues and styles of play suit different players, and the Manager/Coach's relationship with a player is also very important. Look at Zlatan, went to Barca and was outstanding for first 6 months, then Guardiola suddenly didnt like him and relationship deteriorated and Zlatan's form suffered as a consequence which lead to him leaving after just a year. Since leaving he's proven to be the best striker in the world behind Messi and Ronaldo.

Also right about defending being poorer across the board. Only have to look at the top teams in Europe at moment - likes of Bayern, Barca, Real, Man Utd, Juve, Man City all got very average defences...you dont see too many clean sheets from these sides. Bayern conceded two at home to Hertha last wknd, Real have kept 2 clean sheets all season, Man Utd's current back 4 are Rafael, Evra, Evans, and Jones - obviously Vidic and Rio are first choice but they are aging and error prone nowadays)! I also think there are less quality robust defensive midfielders around (but perhaps more quality attacking midfielders) which has also contributed to teams not being so good defensively

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
With so many goals being conceded in the Bundesliga, that could also be interpreted as a lot of goals being scored! But in the Eredivisie we know that whilst there is a lot of very good attacking talent in the country, the defences are known to be poor and leaky at times. But the same may be said of the Bundesliga? I don't know, I haven't watched enough of it to comment...

As for Alves, I'm fully aware not making it in England doesn't mean the player is a bad player! I thought his record away from the Netherlands was poor wherever he went?
I never meant to say that a player that doesn't make it in England is a bad player.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
With so many goals being conceded in the Bundesliga, that could also be interpreted as a lot of goals being scored! But in the Eredivisie we know that whilst there is a lot of very good attacking talent in the country, the defences are known to be poor and leaky at times. But the same may be said of the Bundesliga? I don't know, I haven't watched enough of it to comment...

As for Alves, I'm fully aware not making it in England doesn't mean the player is a bad player! I thought his record away from the Netherlands was poor wherever he went?
I never meant to say that a player that doesn't make it in England is a bad player.
I do watch plenty of Bundesliga also and whilst the standard of attacking play is a level above that of the Eredivisie definitely, the defending can be equally as comical as in the Netherlands, some goals are certainly not earnt but rather presented as we often see in the Eredivisie, but like in the Netherlands, high scoring football leads to entertaining games and that is why the Bundesliga draws some high attendances.

As for Alves, i totally understand your reasoning on him and i feel the same way. I think that the problem for him was that 7 goal game against Heracles i think, it got him major headlines and whilst nobody expects that output every week, your standards are higher and you are in the public eye a lot more, then came the big money move to England and everyone expects a goal machine and when it doesn't happen the UK press start to label you a flop and question the transfer fee, language and everything else and basically don't give you a chance.
Football is all about opinions but sadly when it is that of the press and media, mud can stick and it can be tougher for a foreign player to make it in the UK, never mind his ability.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
Afonso Alves might not turn up afterall :D

Said yesterday that he didn't have a good feeling. Today he didn't turn up at training.

Either he doesn't like having to come on trial or he has an offer somewhere else. If he has a new offer in the Gulf, then by yeah, understandable.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #773
Afonso didn't turn up in the end :doh:

NEC have meanwhile signed the hardworking Hans Mulder on an 18 month contract.

NAC meanwhile didn't offer their Saudi trialist a contract.

761 - 773 of 773 Posts