Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... Im not sure if there is a word out there that can really explain to the fullest extent on what happened this season. If there were two words id say that could describe how this season went, I would say it was definitely exasperating and engrossing. These two words clustered in some sort of fucked up emotional roller-coaster for 320 days.

So what happened this year? What made this season such a battle for the club and the fans? Oh and we can talk about the football eventually too...

Things started off promising in the pre-season. Domestic transfers were promising and the team itself was fresh off a high from winning a very emotional championship capping off an unbeaten run since winter to win the league. Many tipped Fenerbahce's squad to do well even on the European stage after seeing a few transfers get completed.

On the 7th of June, things didn't seem so bright anymore. Just a week after having an interview on LigTV speaking of Fenerbahce's high ambitions with his right hand man Sekip Mosturoglu, Aziz Yildirim was detained for allegations of match fixing, along with countless other board members and players from across the SuperLig spectrum. Houses and club headquarters were raided, and in some instances board members were essentially hunted down to bring into custody. So began the trial that shook Turkish football up. Without getting into detail on the trial itself (as we've all basically beaten that to a bloody pulp as it is) the general consensus across Turkey and football fans alike was that of dismay.

No matter how you shake it, this was real and it was happening in Turkey. Being the primary player in this trial, Fenerbahce was accosted from all ends and corners in Turkey. This included printed media, tv show pundits, players, managers, government officials to board members, past and present.

Things looked bleak, 100+ page reports, tape recordings, images, and testimony from over 50 people - fingers pointed to many clubs including Fenerbahce.

At home, things took a turn for the worst. An exodus of key players including Mamadou Niang, Andre Santos, Diego Lugano, Emmanuel Emenike severely weakened our squad with rumours of other players on the hunt for different options. To add insult to injury, the TFF had withdrawn Fenerbahce from Champions League competition as UEFA was pushing for a quick settlement on Turkey's representation in the prestigious tournament. A decision made with haste in hindsight, but nevertheless a decision that effected morale even more - not to mention more lost potential revenue for a club that was tipped to be ailing at one point.

With a the board crippled in personnel, the squad depleted of talent, what was left of the core was Alex, Gokhan, Volkan, Emre, and Aykut Kocaman. When the fans, players, and board members accepted the reality of the situation, many banded together for one cause: Fenerbahce. Fans flooded Feneriums, started marches on the streets of Istanbul, attended all pre-season training sessions lock stock and barrel. Captain Alex and Aykut Kocaman arguably took the team in their own hands and sailed the ship from thereon. Rumors of an economic crisis hitting the club with the stock hitting a 52 week low was quickly quashed with a massive effort from the fans to keep the clubs books from going into the red. Running without a president in Turkey can be challenging, clubs are essentially run by the top dog and their henchmen, with the majority of the aforementioned in jail - Fenerbahce was floating under the steam of a collective; another first in Turkey.

The season starts and Fenerbahce get out the gate with favourable results, albeit with poor football, reminiscent of what happened at the start of the season before when Aykut first took over. However, the growing sentiment in Turkey was disillusion for the football itself, many were fixated on everything that marred the league.

Fenerbahce finished the halfway point 4 points behind leaders and eventual champions Galatasaray. With form dropping in the last 5 weeks, Galatasaray's eventual strong play took charge of the league and didn't look back. The regular season ends with a 9 point gap which eventually was halved as a prequel to the play-off. Stringing strong performances together, Fenerbahce, the players and fans banded together once more to relive the aura of last seasons run to bring the point gap to 1 for the final match in Kadikoy. Despite playing well, it wasn't meant to be.

Yet, it is in my opinion that we can look at this group and its fans (outside of some of the violence that has gone on) and be completely proud of this club. Fans in the past have touted that Fenerbahce is not just a sports club, a title many fans boast in Turkey. But we can say now, without a shadow of a doubt that we truly are not just a sports club; this season is undeniable proof of that. A champion was crowned on Saturday. Though, in my eyes Fenerbahce pushing it's fiercest rival down to the wire in its worst season in its 105 year history is still something to be absolutely proud of.

We still have a cup final to go, in terms of its meaning on a footballing standpoint its not the biggest thing Turkey has to offer. But it would mean something for the fans and the clubs history to be finally rid of this Turkish Cup curse and put an end to our drought after such an emotional season.

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
Though, in my eyes Fenerbahce pushing it's fiercest rival down to the wire in its worst season in its 105 year history is still something to be absolutely proud of.
This is the thing that I am really proud of. We were still the only team seriously challenging them at the end of this exhausting season. :thumbsup:

·
*the drum drum*
42,489 Posts
I was largely disappointed with a lot of things this season, but all things considered there is no need to reach any negative conclusions based on this season.

There were a few positives though, which I hope are signs of things to come. Amongst them, individuals like Sow, Ziegler, Stoch, Mert, Bekir, and other matters such as the team's ability to win matches without Alex etc.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think a lot of people (including those who only read here and never post) that there is a lot of confidence lost after Saturday's game. Just wanted to remind people of where we are at considering all the circumstances.

It was important to re-iterate that its really important to win the cup as per the end of the post.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
They tried their best in such a hard season and they really have passions to this team. I'm proud of them!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
That is actually one thing that disappointed me, until the playoffs began.

The team showed great spirit of the pitch but on it they were often in cruise control.
Sometimes passion made some of them lose their mind. Volkan and Emre are two examples. Now I think Serdar's joining them, too...:doh:
When the hell will Volkan and Serdar shave the ***ing beard? :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts