Xtratime Community banner

Which team will be our toughest opponent?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the draw was made - Brasil's group-stage opponents in the 2010 World Cup will be North Korea, Ivory Coast and Portugal (in that order). Winning the first game is an obligation. Winning the second game will be a great challenge. Hopefully we'll be already qualified when we play the third game, and hopefully Portugal will make it too (and then they'll have my support against Spain).

So let's talk about these opponents. First of all, I want to know which of these three teams you consider the toughest challenge. Will North Korea manage to pull a historical upset against us? Will our defense be able to contain Drogba, or will it be "a fvcking disgrace"? Who will win in the Kaka vs Cristiano Ronaldo duel?

A team that wants to be champion doesn't pick opponents - but knowing our opponents is always wise. ;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found some informations about these three opponents.

The only teams that will participate in the 2010 WC that North Korea faced in the last few years were other Asian NTs. Their best credential is their campaign in the Asian qualifiers - in 16 matches, 9 victories, 5 ties and only two defeats. Along the way they eliminated more familiar teams such as Saudi Arabia and Iran. Manager Kim Jong-Hun varies between the 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 systems, always closed in defense and looking for counters. North Korea's best player is attacking-midfielder Hong Yong-Jo, who plays for russian club FC Rostov. This player can be used in midfield or upfront depending on the formation, and he's the team's main offensive engine. Striker Jung Tae-Se, from japanese club Kawazaki Frontale, is North Korea's target man.

Here's what Sergio Farias, manager of south-korean club Pohang Steelers, current champ of the Asian Champions' League, has to say about North Korea:

"The North Korean NT plays mostly on counterattacks. They're well organized defensively and most of their games are decided by single-goal differences. For a team that bases their gameplan on defending, their two forwards (Hong Yong-Jo e Jung Tae-Se) have performed pretty well. Their manager doesn't have experience outside of Asia, as most of their players, and that may create problems for their preparation. They're a team unlikely to cause upsets in the World Cup. If they manage to qualify from the first stage it will be a great success."

(I'll finish this later, now I'm going out for a friday-night beer)

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Before the draw started I told my girl "I am happy with any team as long as we don't get Brasil"...err...pois. :rollani:

Anyway, looking at it now a few hours after the draw I tend to agree with what Liedson said to a Portuguese radio station when asked about what did he think of facing Brasil in the group stage: "é melhor agora do que no mata-mata" [it's better to face them now than in the knockout stages].

I don't think that even the best of the current Portugal NT could beat Brazil in the knockout stages but the fact we will face you already after having played two games in this group, will make it less dramatic. This of course if we do what should be expected from a side that should at least target to reach the last 16.

The trouble for us is that, if we finish second in this group, as I believe will happen, we'll almost certainly get Spain in the Round of 16, which means we have little chances of going further than that, and that is the real black spot of this draw for us.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before the draw started I told my girl "I am happy with any team as long as we don't get Brasil"...err...pois. :rollani:
I was telling my girlfriend the same thing when they began drawing pot 4. We both well and truly jinxed it, my friend. :groan:

The trouble for us is that, if we finish second in this group, as I believe will happen, we'll almost certainly get Spain in the Round of 16, which means we have little chances of going further than that, and that is the real black spot of this draw for us.
"Little chances"? They'd be favorites, sure, but "little chances" is a bit too much IMO. Have faith! Carpe diem! Vamos botar agua no feijão! :D

It's not like Spain, or any other team in this WC, is unbeatable.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I don't want to underestimate, but why exactly is Ivory Coast rated so highly?

A few quality players does not make a world class team. I mean since they really emerged, they have played 2 African Nations Cups where they finished 2nd and 4th in Africa, which isn't exactly the greatest of results.

Brasil and Portugal have the advantage of watching them in January when they go to the African Nations Cup in Angola, lets see how well they go there. I respect their quality, but I'm not exactly running to the toilet at the prospect of playing them. I think it's just the Anglo media wanting one of the Latin teams to miss out so they hype Ivory Coast and start making predictions like they'll dump Portugal out or top the group ahead of Brasil. We'll see.

·
Registered
564 Posts
well i hate tough groups not because i am afraid, but i think tough groups bring up bad luck.. well i am sure we will finish first and Cote d'ivoire we be second.. btw i know the Korean team very well.. they r the weakest team in the history of world cup u will see that... and as pun said i agree that cote d'ivoire is not that strong team but Portugal is not strong also..

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I dont agree that Ivory Coast is not a strong team.
I would say that they are one of the most potential African teams
especially during the latest years. This will be the toughest opponent.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
"Little chances"? They'd be favorites, sure, but "little chances" is a bit too much IMO. Have faith! Carpe diem! Vamos botar agua no feijão! :D

It's not like Spain, or any other team in this WC, is unbeatable.
That's right! We just need to apply on Xavi the same treatment we gave to Pelé in 66 and the problem is solved. :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think Ivory coast is the toughest challenge...because like most african teams, they are strong physically and fitness, Dideir Drogba can be a real pain for defenses. Im not sure if Gilberto silva will be able to handle them.

I think if Dunga can always revert back to his defensive box in the midfield if Portugal turn on the their style. So im not worried about portugal.

umm I think north Korea would be a good start match for Brasil...I hope North Korea try there best and get a goal so Dunga and the squad can realise they are not in for an easy ride later on.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Only to think about the diver/cheater Drog(b)a makes me sick. He is a verytough opponent by himsel;. And they have also yaya Torre, and other good players. I hope the juizes odfthe WC do not fall for Drogba tricks like those of the Premiere league.

The comentator on Sky News called this group the group of death. Death for whom?

I hope Drogba and Co. do not push us to the second place in the group, than we will have Spain in the 1/8

I still think (hope and believe) that we can handle them, se Deus quiser

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I like this group, the country with the most trophies vs the best team in Africa, a Korean team that we nothing of and Portugal.

Make no mistake, this is the weakest Portugal since in 10+ years, the best perhaps being the cocky 2002 team that lead the world qualifying in scoring and got booted in the first round along with the other two tournament favs Argentina and France. I think this team will fight and have just as good as chance to come out of the group.

I can't see Brazil not advance as Dunga can easily bring in muscle to shut down any finesse player.

Can't wait until June 25th, good luck

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
1 Portugal
2 - Côte D'Ivorie

(non)Interesting trivia:

Did you know that you can't (shouldn't) translate Cotê D'Ivorie to other languages? The government there made a request to the International Community back in 1985 to stop the translations. At official meetings/events, etc, you can only call the country by the original name in French. :)

Our country should do the same.

I hate "Brésil" with passion. I don't mind Brazil with 'Z' but the French version sucks hairy balls.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Our country should do the same.

I hate "Brésil" with passion. I don't mind Brazil with 'Z' but the French version sucks hairy balls.
Did you know that Brazil was the official spelling until the reform approved by the Academia Brasileira de Letras in 1931?

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
(non)Interesting trivia:

Did you know that you can't (shouldn't) translate Cotê D'Ivorie to other languages? The government there made a request to the International Community back in 1985 to stop the translations. At official meetings/events, etc, you can only call the country by the original name in French. :)
Wow, I had no idea. I'll probably keep translating their name, but that's interesting to know. :D

Yeah, it really does. What's the problem with using the letter "a"?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
You guys need only to win against Ivory Coast and there you go, a fixed draw with Portugal and both teams will qualify.

North Korea will get massacred in this group, it is a miracle for them to reach such stage, Ivory Coast is the only threat that might screw your chances up but again one win against Ivory coast and there you go, fix a goaless draw against Portugal and both teams will qualify.

I smell Germany Vs Austria 1982 all over again in this group!

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
You guys need only to win against Ivory Coast and there you go, a fixed draw with Portugal and both teams will qualify.

North Korea will get massacred in this group, it is a miracle for them to reach such stage, Ivory Coast is the only threat that might screw your chances up but again one win against Ivory coast and there you go, fix a goaless draw against Portugal and both teams will qualify.

I smell Germany Vs Austria 1982 all over again in this group!
I don't think Portugal and Brasil will even need to revert to those Germanic scum tactics of 82 in order to qualify and I can explain why.

Here's the most probable results of the first two rounds and the respective standings:

Round 1:
Côte d'Ivoire D-D Portugal
Brazil W-L North Korea

Round 2:
Brazil W-L Côte d'Ivoire
Portugal W-L North Korea

1 BRA 2G 6P
2 POR 2G 4P
3 CIV 2G 1P
4 NKO 2G 0P

If this realistic scenario happens, Portugal will only need a draw against an already qualified Brasil to go through and even a small margin defeat can take us through to the next stage. The thing is that Spain will more than probably win Group H and Portugal will want to avoid facing them, which means we should play to win the last game and the group.

The one thing that will probably happen is that Brasil will rest most of their first team players but that's far from being a "fix" as that happened in inumerous World Cups and Euros, in the final group stage round.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Yeah but if portugal and Ivory Coast reach the third game with equal points?

Like:
Brazil 6
Portugal 6
Ivory coast 6
N. Korea 0

Which is a possible scenario?

Oh well, then it is going to be a do or die for Brazil and Portugal.

I withdraw what I said about the fix.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts