Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 817 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
South America looking at shorter qualifying for 2010

ASUNCION, Oct 20 (Reuters) -

South America is looking at alternatives to its present 10-nation, 18-match single group qualifying campaign for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"There is agreement that these qualifiers are costly and very long," said Nestor Benitez, press officer for the South American Football Confederation (CSF).

Poor economic conditions in the region and the constant complaints of European clubs over the number of times their South American internationals are called away on World Cup duty were reasons for a rethink, Benitez said.

One suggestion for an alternative system was two groups of five in a round-robin tournament with each team playing four matches and the top three in each going into a final group of six. These six best teams would play nine matches each in total. IMO Horrible alternative .... To HELL with European Pressure !!!! For that keep the present system.... :(

For the 2002 World Cup in Asia and the next tournament in Germany in 2006, South America has used a single round-robin group with each country playing 18 matches over two years.

The top four qualify for the finals and the fifth plays off against the winners of the Oceania region.

World Cup holders Brazil top the group just past the halfway stage with 20 points from 10 matches followed by Argentina on 19 points, Paraguay 16 and Ecuador, Chile and Venezuela all on 13.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
wcq format

i heard they're thinking about changing the round robin all versus all. i understnd it's very long and inconsistent, but i like it. everybody plays everybody, great for rivalries. opinions?

·
Registered
922 Posts
for me the best option is:
10 teams divided in 2 groups of five, the 2 firsts one in the groups qualify to the world cup and the best third qualified in the two groups goe to play against the Oceania champion

Let's talk more about it, its a very interesting topic

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very S I M P L E ... We need to have Copa America every four years, 6 months to a year prior to any given World Cup (not in groups but ALL against ALL once) ... Copa America with O N L Y The TEAMS from Conmebol and that Tournament back at the L E V E L it should be ........ WOULD then produce the S American NATIONS that would go the the up and coming World Cup ....

It doesnt require a rocket scientist to figure this s.h.i.t out ... Leoz...you stupid M O R O N ... Listen to the fans....If changes to the present qualifiers need to be in place...Use this...

MY SUGGESTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

colocolo de Chile !!!!!!!!!!!!
:cap:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I think the best (and only) solution is to keep the Quals as they are.The decision for a change has been taken but a re-thinking would not be bad.

South American nations play 18 games on the road for a WC.European nations play 10 games.BUT Europeans play 8 or 10 more games every two years on the road for a EURO Cup.

Summing up Europeans play 18 (or more) qualifying matches in 4 years.Just like South Americans do.What they did for WC'06 Quals,it's excellent for me.CONMEBOL started the marathon 1 year before UEFA did,in September 2003.Considering that Copa America is played every 4 years,there is NO problem in the calendar.The only problem is European clubs...

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im with Kostas in that the only Fair and Square competition for Conmebol is All against All, but the current format will be changed due to the pressure from Fifa and nothing we can do about that unfortunately. In that being the case and like I stated b4...Make Copa America the competition that yields the Nations that will go to a World Cup.

:cap:

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S.America undecided over future for World Cup qualifiers :nervous:

By Brian Homewood

ASUNCION, Dec 1 (Reuters)

- South America is undecided on the future of its World Cup qualifying competition after deciding to ditch the controversial league format that has infuriated European clubs.

South American Football Confederation (CSF) spokesman Nestor Benitez said various suggestions had been made, including using the Copa America as a qualifying competition or dividing the teams into groups of five.

"It's premature to talk about this when the teams are still fighting to qualify (for 2006), but it is a subject which will have to be dealt with and there are a number of ideas," Benitez told Reuters.

"Each country has the right to put forward a proposal."

Benitez announced in October that the CSF was likely to scrap the current system, which has been used for the last three World Cups.

Last month, FIFA president Sepp Blatter told reporters in Venezuela that soccer's governing body would no longer accept the system.

World champions Brazil have regularly criticised the format in which the teams play 18 matches each between September 2003 and October 2005.

"Where have you heard of a competition which lasts nearly two-and-a-half years?" said coach Carlos Alberto Parreira recently.

EUROPEAN PRESSURE :boxing:

Argentina lead the 2006 qualifying group with 22 points from 11 games, followed by Brazil with 20. Paraguay are third with 16 and only three points separates them and ninth-placed Venezuela.

The top four qualify directly for Germany and the fifth plays off against the winners of the Oceania region.

Benitez said the planned change was due to economic reasons and, to a lesser extent, pressure from European clubs, who have repeatedly complained about their South American players making regular transatlantic trips to play in the qualifiers.

They say the players returned tired, jaded and often injured.

South American national teams, meanwhile, have often accused European clubs of being uncooperative.

Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa -- who has since resigned -- launched a bitter attack on Spanish champions Valencia in September, accusing them of ignoring FIFA rules over the release of forward Pablo Aimar.

"The European interests cannot be ignored because the Europeans buy the best South American players with their capital, invest money and the reality is that their relationship with the confederation has caused problems," said Benitez.

"But the factor which worries the South Americans the most is money and the cost of everyone playing each other."

Benitez said television income had gone down while expenses had risen.

"The federations don't receive as much as they used to. There used to be money left over for them but today there isn't because they spend money on tickets, on accommodation, on bringing players over and sending them back."

"There's nothing left over for their team."

He added: "On the playing side it has been good because it has brought more competition and reduced the gap in standards."

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
South America could keep :D :D :D controversial qualifiers

By Brian Homewood

ASUNCION, Dec 3 (Reuters) -

South American football chiefs say they could vote to keep the continent's controversial World Cup qualifying system, despite opposition from European clubs and FIFA president Sepp Blatter. :dielaugh:

The possibility of keeping the current league system, in which the 10 nations play each other home and away in a marathon contest lasting almost two years, had previously been ruled out but now it appears to be back on the agenda.

Blatter said last month that world body FIFA would no longer accept it while the South American Football Confederation's (CSF) own spokesman Nestor Benitez repeated on Tuesday that it would not be used because it was no longer profitable.

But, after the CSF voted to delay a decision at their executive committee meeting on Thursday, the presidents of several national federations told Reuters that they did not agree and wanted to keep the league format.

"I don't think there are going to be changes, the qualifiers will stay as they are," said Chilean Football Federation (FCF) president Reinaldo Sanchez. "That's the way I see things."

In addition, a statement later appeared on the CSF's official website which read: "The general idea to continue with the league system prevailed."

World champions Brazil are the biggest opponents of the system, with coach Carlos Alberto Parreira saying he wants more time to play friendlies in Europe.

Parreira wants a return to the system used until the 1994 qualifiers, with the teams divided into groups and all the matches concentrated into a two-month period.

Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) president Ricardo Teixeira, who missed Thursday's meeting because he was at the World Futsal Championships in Taiwan, could find himself with a battle on his hands when he returns.

INACTIVE TEAMS

With so few nations, South America does not have a qualifying competition for the Copa America and fewer World Cup qualifiers could leave the smaller nations inactive for long periods.

"We believe that the league format is fairer and gives everyone the same chance," said Paraguay's Oscar Harrison.

"These qualifiers have not been so profitable but everyone thinks its fairer. It also allows us to have a permanent national team staff. If we played eight matches in two months, what would we do for the other three years?"

"We also think the economy will pick up. It was not easy to sell the television rights in 2003 but in 2007, I think things will be better."

Ecuador's Luis Chiriboga said he believed that FIFA and the European clubs could be persuaded to allow South America to keep the league format.

"Ecuador is in favour of the league format. It's the fairest system in a sporting sense, we'll have to look at ways of doing it without affecting the clubs who lend the services of their players," he said.

"President Blatter and the members of the FIFA executive committee are very receptive, open to ideas... If there's a consensus, I think we can get president Blatter's backing."

Chiriboga said that one possibility would be to spread the competition over three years, with six rounds of matches a year.

Matches would be played in pairs so that players would only have to travel three times from Europe every year.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Blatter should go phuck himself. All he cares about is money. He makes me sick.

All he is trying to do is screw south america. Hell I don't know how the phuck they didn't get a good deal for the TV right. In Toronto alone we must have hundreds of bars full of fans paying $15 ahead to watch the games.

There is no reason why they shouldn't make money out of these qaulifiers. Who the phuck is blatter to say he wont let us keep our system. It's our decision.

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sebastian50 said:
Blatter should go phuck himself. All he cares about is money. He makes me sick.

All he is trying to do is screw south america. Hell I don't know how the phuck they didn't get a good deal for the TV right. In Toronto alone we must have hundreds of bars full of fans paying $15 ahead to watch the games.

There is no reason why they shouldn't make money out of these qaulifiers. Who the phuck is blatter to say he wont let us keep our system. It's our decision.
All Blatter is doinn is echoing on UEFAS cries about our players having to be away from their european jobs so ofter and for so long....other than that he COULDNT care less about us ... I agree with U ... he can go play with himself and leave us alone. :shades:

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Things have quieted down in Fifalandia !!!! Blatter is a shrew fox ... waiting in the wings to counter attack again !!!! :(

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I truly hope they leave the Qualies alone !!!!

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soon enough Leoz and Blatter will probably come up with some other shennannigans !!!! :jester:

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
colocolo said:
Soon enough Leoz and Blatter will probably come up with some other shennannigans !!!! :jester:
Specially now after 2 complete rounds with barely 3-4 days apart !!! Just wait and see !!!! :nono:

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry.... en español for now ... english translation to follow...

Sudamérica quiere seguir con el "todos contra todos"

Pese a que también se presentó la opción de dos grupos, al final la mayoría se inclinó por seguir con el modelo, por motivos económicos. Uno de los ajustes que sufrirían las próximas clasificatorias sería que todas las fechas serían dobles, y se jugarían entre viernes y martes.

Great NEWS...ALL AGAINST ALL will stay...(Its the ONLY FAIR WAY to do things) I hope and pray they draw new fixtures....we dont need the ARg-Urug FIASCO one third time!!! :dielaugh:

·
Registered
933 Posts
I`m glad they decided to keep this format.

We in South America have to do what is the best for us. If the Europeans don`t like then they should stop signing South American players...

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed...but Leoz..please new fixtures..lazy bums...do some work everyonce in a while.

:)

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We should have the eliminatories somehow interlinked with Copa America...to make the oldest tournament in Fifa's history appealling again .. :cool:

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PMLF said:
I`m glad they decided to keep this format.

We in South America have to do what is the best for us. If the Europeans don`t like then they should stop signing South American players...
Just come up with a brand new fixture please...WE DONT NEED ARG-URUG IN THE LAST DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :howler:

1 - 20 of 817 Posts