Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
title typo, anyway....

Much like you all, I was absolutely crushed after the loss yesterday. I was inconsolable for the rest of the day, I am still trying to find my appetite, and the reality is just beginning to set in.

That being said, I think back to Euro 1996. We went from a team of virtual unknowns and were able to turn heads across the world with our efforts before being knocked out by Germany in the quarterfinals. We rode that momentum into France 1998 and were able to pull off what was the impossible.

Fast forward to today. After the dust has settled, I'm beginning to see incredible (almost eerie) comparisons that I can make between the situation the NT of 2008 is currently in compared with the 1996 NT.

I can't stress this enough, WE ARE ONLY GOING TO GET BETTER! Most of our guys are in their early to mid 20's and are still showing signs of development. Couple that with the lucrative offers from big name clubs that we are sure to see over the course of this summer for our young stars and veterans, and our guys are going to be playing world class soccer for world class clubs. 2010 could bring a Croatian NT ABSOLUTELY STACKED with 'big club' players.

Big club experience entails attention (bandwagoners), which means the Croatian NT is gonna lose their favored 'underdog' status for coming tournaments. I think we cannot be considered darkhorses anymore after an effort like we had in the tournament.

Just a thought i had this morning while brushing my teeth. I had to get it out there and i'm sure alot of you guys are thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
to early to start think about this..this loss will linger with me all summer..

·
Registered
89 Posts
to early to start think about this..this loss will linger with me all summer..
I agree. I don't even want to watch the rest of the tournament. No disrespect to Turkey, but we fully deserved to go to the semis. This is just a bad dream. How could they have had that defensive lapse when the game was virtually over?

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Well said NYCroat86! I agree man, its eerily similair to 96-98, the difference being this time that we are still a young team thats only going to get younger and we are getting Eduardo back!!!!! :eek: in 98 it was our final swan song!

ZA AFRIKU SPREMNI:lick:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
i agree...have to look at the plus side! This team is only going to get stronger the core of our team is all young and the replacements coming arent looking bad at all. Things can only go up from here!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I too can see the light at the end of the tunnel but I'm still in the tunnel and not ready to discuss the light...

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
i agree..we have a very good young team but who knows if they will ever be in this position again..we could have won euros but i guess it just was not our destiny..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i agree..we have a very good young team but who knows if they will ever be in this position again..we could have won euros but i guess it just was not our destiny..
this may sound crazy, but i think it is harder to win the euros than the world cup. every team in the euros has a legit shot to win it if the right things fall into place. only in the world cup can you be grouped with world soccer powers like iraq, togo, and korea...:rollani:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
this may sound crazy, but i think it is harder to win the euros than the world cup. every team in the euros has a legit shot to win it if the right things fall into place. only in the world cup can you be grouped with world soccer powers like iraq, togo, and korea...:rollani:
Many different teams have won the EURO's only two teams (France and Germany) have multiple titles. In the World cup only Brazil, Italy, Uruguay, Germany, Argentina, France and England have won the WC. The latter two won only when they hosted. The last team to break this pattern of teams: Brazil, Italy, Uruguay and Germany + host countires was Argentina back in 1978. We are fighting a lot of history to win the WC but that being said it would make it an ENORMOUS achievement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
who knows if they will ever be in this position again
The same was said after the exit from Euro96 (can't remember for sure) and WC98 and look where we are now :smileani:

·
Registered
69,350 Posts
at the Euros momentum helps a lot too, as we are seeing with some of these sides. In the World Cup I believe you have almost a week in between group matches, while at Euros it;s four days and after that it could be three days. It's kind of like the NHL playoffs, if you can get hot at the right time, any team can win, while in the World Cup it's too spread out

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
at the Euros momentum helps a lot too, as we are seeing with some of these sides. In the World Cup I believe you have almost a week in between group matches, while at Euros it;s four days and after that it could be three days. It's kind of like the NHL playoffs, if you can get hot at the right time, any team can win, while in the World Cup it's too spread out
Yep, and is it a coincidence that every nation that rested players (as group winners) in the last group game went out in the quarters?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
must be that resting players make them lose the rythm of the competition, all the NTs that rested players in the third match are out and played really a bad game in the QF, in particular on the fit side

1 - 20 of 21 Posts