Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been invited to the Peace Cup tournament to promote world peace. It's held every two years, previous winners being Lyon (2007), Tottenham (2005) and PSV (2003). This year Spain is hosting it. The groups were drawn yesterday.

Fixtures:

July 25: Lyon - Fener
July 27: Lyon - Porto
July 29: Fener - Porto

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
sounds like a nice preseason plan. Lets see if we make any good transfers and this is would be good to gel the team for next season

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, we're in the group of death for sure but it should be a nice opportunity to get back in shape... We lose so many points at the start of each season due to lack of match fitness so this should help.

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
good point. Yea im not expecting us to win :D. How does it work, winner of each group goes to a knock out stage or something?

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, check the schedule pic.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
I kind of like that FB is in the group of death. Gives them some useful matches to guage how the 09/10 season might go...
This is a nice move. :)

Problem is FB tend to have so many people arrive late into camp, or only complete the big transfers right to the last moment that they typically don't play in matches like this.
Hopefully the board does some serious thinking about their ways, and one of the changes is to have all players signed and in camp to take place in this tournament and have a squad ready for week one.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Also, if Fenerbahce somehow manages to qualify for Europe, when would the UEFA Cup (or whatever they're calling it now) qualifying rounds begin? Would they conflict with this tourney?

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
FB will squeak into the Europa League one way or another (via league or cup), it's Galatasaray that have it all to do to qualify

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
We've been invited to the Peace Cup tournament to promote world peace.
:googly: A project to spread Unification Church worldwide.
Also, if Fenerbahce somehow manages to qualify for Europe, when would the UEFA Cup (or whatever they're calling it now) qualifying rounds begin? Would they conflict with this tourney?
Other participants (Lyon, R.Madrid, Juventus, Sevilla, Porto, Celtic) are pretty much sure of joining CL directly or from the play-off round (Aug.1:cool:. Aston Villa, if finished 5th, go to EL play-off Aug.20-.
Fener will have to win the league or the cup (or qualify to Europe as cup winners) to participate. Qualifying rounds for TSL 2nd (CL) and 3rd-4th (EL) are July 28-Aug.6.

Fenerbahçe says “yes” to the Peace Cup
03/04/2009 – The team coached by Luis Aragonés confirms as the 11th participant in the tournament.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
:howler:

We are only invited specifically because of Aragones and Guiza. Anyways, I don't have a problem with that. We need to make 10 new signings that are all willing to fight for first place in the team. Hopefully we do sign warriors next season and show the world what we got. Wishful thinking though :(

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Fener will have to win the league or the cup (or qualify to Europe as cup winners) to participate. Qualifying rounds for TSL 2nd (CL) and 3rd-4th (EL) are July 28-Aug.6.
Once Ankaraspor looses to Besiktas, the european spot via Turkish cup will have to be given to a team that doesn't finish in the top four of the league. So Fenerbahce, Sivas and Besiktas won't get it, they will have to give that slot to the 5th placed team... That's what I assumed anyway, am I right?

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Well one thing i can bet my nuts on is that our transfers wont be made till the last week of the deadline so this whole preseason camp thing is such a waste of time!
Yes that another thing that I assumed. It looks like either Aragones will cut our players holidays short or we play our youths.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Hopefully we'll actually make transfers before the last minute so they can actually gel with the team :groan:

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Also with the way things are going, it looks like Aragones will stay. I hope he manages to put together a stronger team next season, he should know his priorities by now.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Ive always said no matter how much that goat annoys me, theres no point of chopping and changing managers every other season, other managers are human too and will have to go through the same stages as Aragones....So hopefully he knows the weaknesses of the team, but more importantly they should start negotiations from now so the new players can arrive on time to camp and start mixing with the team

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That's what I assumed anyway, am I right?
If Turkish Cup winners qualify for CL (N1-N2), runners-up will go to Europe as CW (higher pecking order than N3,N4).

What if both cup finalists qualify to CL? I don't know if there's a play-off between losing semifinalists or N3-N4-N5 will go to Europe in this order.

Placements and number of qualifying rounds:
Access List 09/10

IMO, this is another "diffuser" from the press department of Fenerbahce.
Pointless to announce now, but there was a need to.
P.S. Am I missing something? SOCCER in Andalucia in scorching Jul-Aug??

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If Turkish Cup winners qualify for CL (N1-N2), runners-up will go to Europe as CW (higher pecking order than N3,N4).

What if both cup finalists qualify to CL? I don't know if there's a play-off between losing semifinalists or N3-N4-N5 will go to Europe in this order.
Hmm, I think N3-N4-N5 all go to Europe if that were to happen.

·
*the drum drum*
43,421 Posts
If the cup winner already secures a spot for Europe through their league performance, the extra qualification spot goes back to the next best team in the league.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.