Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
30,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Canaydin is stepping down after six or so years of holding the helm of president at Galatasaray. Here's how his reign racks up...

Milestones
2002 - Sacked Mircea Lucescu.
2002 - Brought Fatih Terim back to the club.
2002 - Suffered 6-0 defeat to arch rivals Fenerbahce.
2003 - Finished 2nd in Superlig.
2003 - Beat Juventus 2-0 in Champions League (One of rare good European results under his reign.)
2004 - Fatih Terim resigns as coach after bad spell.
2004 - Gheorghi Hagi hired as coach.
2004 - Finished 6th in the Superlig.
2005 - Finished 3rd in the Superlig.
2005 - Beat Fenerbahce 5-1 in Turkish Cup Final in our 100th year. Hagi left not long after.
2005 - Suffered Ribery fiasco.
2005 - Hired Eric Gerets.
2006 - Won Turkish Superlig title ...somehow.
2007 - Beat Liverpool 3-2 in Champions League.
2007 - Finished 3rd in Turkish Superlig.
2007 - Departed with Eric Gerets.
2007 - Hired Karl Heinz Feldkamp.
2007 - Suffered 5-1 defeat to Leverkusen in UEFA Cup.

Honours
Turkish Superlig (1) - 2006
Turkish Cup (1) - 2005

TransfersA
There have been quite a bit of transfers under Canaydin's reign, let's have a look...

Managers (4) - Fatih Terim (2002 - 2004), Gheorghi Hagi (2004 - 2005), Eric Gerets (2005 - 2007), Karl Heinz Feldkamp (2007 - Present)

Players (58) - Volkan Glatt (Duisberg II), Haim Revivo (Fenerbahce), Abel Xavier (Liverpool), Cihan Haspolatli (Kocaelispor), Suat Usta (PSV), Volkan Arslan (Kocaelispor), Ali Lukunku (Standard Liege), Klodian Duro (Gaziantepspor), Abdullah Ercan (Fenerbahce), Elvir Balic (Real Madrid), Emre Asik (Istanbulspor), Mehmet Polat (Gaziantepspor), Aykut Ercetin (Stuttgart), Hakan Unsal (Blackburn Rovers), Mohammed Sarr (AC Milan), Christian (Bordeaux), Hakan Sukur (Blackburn Rovers), Omer Erdogan (Diyarbakirspor), Frank de Boer (Barcelona), Orhan Ak (Kocaelispor), Cesar Prates (Sporting Lisbon), Florin Bratu (Rapid), Ovidiu Petre (Poli), Necati Ates (Adanaspor), Gabriel Tamas (Dinamo Bucharest), Stejpan Tomas (Fenerbahce), Flavio Conceicao (Real Madrid), Rigobert Song (Lens), Hakan Yakin (Stuttgart), Frank Ribery (FC Mets), Hasan Kabze (Dardanelspor), Fevzi Elmas (Dardanelspor), Alioum Saidou (Istanbulspor), Richard Kingston (Ankaraspor), Ragip Basdag (Sakaryaspor), Sasa Ilic (Partizan), Ayhan Yalcin (Istanbulspor), Marek Heinz (Gladbach), Emre Asik (Besiktas), Okan Buruk (Besiktas), Tolga Seyhan (Shahktar), Marcelo Carrusca (Estudiantes LP), Junichi Inamoto (West Brom), Mehmet Toapl (Dardanelspor), Ismael Bouzid (Kaiserslautern), Serkan Calik (RW Essen), Baris Ozbek (RW Essen), Servet Cetin (Sivasspor), Tobias Linderoth (FC Kobenhaven), Orkun Usak (Kayseri Erciyesspor), Lincoln (Schalke), Volkan Yaman (Antalyaspor), Shabani Nonda (AS Roma), Emre Gungor (Ankaragucu), Ahmed Barusso (AS Roma)

[Players in bold are still at the club]

So who will step into his shoes? Discuss...

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Who are the candidates? If there are any... I don't know what's going on.

·
*the drum drum*
42,895 Posts
I love how Canaydin is given so much shit for sacking Mircea Lucescu and bringing back Fatih Terim, it's so in tune with why so much is wrong at your club.

He was voted in on the premise that he would bring Fatih Terim back. Everyone stood up and applauded him and he went from fundamental nobody to front runner in the elections purely and simply on that.

If you asked ten fans at the time if they were in favour of bringing Terim back, nine would say "YES!" and only one would say "well let's give Lucescu credit where it's due".

Now if you ask the same ten fans, you'll get nine of this, "ABII!! didn't I tell you! Lucescu had to stay it was the biggest mistake of the club's history, ****ing Canaydin!!". And you get the lone fan just shrugging at the question.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
We are quick to point out his negatives, but also give credit where it is due. By that, I mean the Aslantepe project and his exemplary behaviour as chairman

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Şeytan;6165895 said:
He was voted in on the premise that he would bring Fatih Terim back. Everyone stood up and applauded him and he went from fundamental nobody to front runner in the elections purely and simply on that.

If you asked ten fans at the time if they were in favour of bringing Terim back, nine would say "YES!" and only one would say "well let's give Lucescu credit where it's due".
I KNOW that most of the GS fans wanted to keep Lucescu after we became champs and got to the quarterfinals of the CL. I dont know on what you're basing the 9 of the 10 GS fan thing, but its bullcrap. There were indeed a serious amount who wanted Terim back but most supported Lucescu, and I dont guess but I know that.

·
*the drum drum*
42,895 Posts
And here above is a prime example of one who was almost certainly one of those flip floppers I was mentioning ;)

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
I can remember those days as if it was yesterday, I have alot of GSfans around me and communicated with other GS fans at the inet at that time and believe me if I say that most of the GS-fans didnt want to see Lucescu leave. They werent pissed when Terim came as he was a legend but saying that 9 out of 10GSfans wanted Lucescu to be sacked so hard just to get Terim back isnt correct. Youre probably talking about those gloryhunters who became GS fans after GS won the uefa cup and worshipped Fatih Terim but you make an fool out of you're self saying that 9 out of 10 wanted Lucescu to be sacked. Neye gore dayanarak bunu soyliyorsun merak ediyorum.

Lucescu acchieved a succes in the CL Terim couldnt do in straight 4 years.

·
*the drum drum*
42,895 Posts
The overwhelming majority wanted Terim, there were various Internet and newspaper polls to prove it. Canaydin won the election almost completely on that promise alone.

·
Registered
30,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally I'm indifferent on the guy, he's done some good things and some not so good things... I just want change at the club and a chairman with MONEY or the know how to make MONEY!

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Şeytan;6167018 said:
The overwhelming majority wanted Terim, there were various Internet and newspaper polls to prove it. Canaydin won the election almost completely on that promise alone.
The promise was before we reached the quarter finals of CL and became champs. We had alot of gloryhunters and fanboys at that time who became GS-fans after we won the UEFA-cup and basicly wanted the coach back we got those victorys with but I remember that there were enough people who wanted to keep Lucescu(the older and wiser ones), 9 out of 10 isnt very logical man.

But this indeed was the mistake that made our debt grow(Terim spent ALOT of money without acchieving anything) and it got worse after that.. I really wonder wha would have happend if Lucescu stayed. These are one of those mistakes that can change everything.

But us blaiming Canaydin for everything isnt just this.. the man has no vision whatsoever.. its like he's cursed.. everything he does turnes out in a disaster.. Thanks to him we lost a player for NOTHING who's worth 40 millions right now, the funny thing is that he didnt even buy him but Ozturk as a present for GS.

Canaydin isnt a candidate for sure by the way. The only good thing he did in all these years is Aslantepe.

·
Honourable Mention, April Photo Contest 2008
19,147 Posts
all i know is that if adnan polat becomes president i might seriously stop watching our matches.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Adnan Ozturk joined with Polat...
Canaydin is not a bad guy, like GSoldier said... he just has no vision...
He gave the football stuff to Polat and Sezgin last year, and now we have players like Lincoln and Linderoth... Nonda as well... We stopped buying 35 year old washed up stars....

I think Polat will do just fine if he is going to be our new chairman...

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Adnan Polat is by far the most unprofessional acting board member in Turkey. That being said, rival team board members really aren't far off. In fact, all SuperLig teams have a degree of unprofessionalism which makes me sick to my stomach.

However, as I stated before, Adnan Polat is probably THE most unprofessional. I would be very disappointed if Galatasaray decided to vote for someone like that. I may not be a fan of Galatasaray, but even I know the value of having a president who is good PR and a class act for a big club.

An ideal chairman is not one who boasts remarks about his own club and then completely throws open insults at his rivals. Being a pest and getting under the skin of rival clubs is not a President role by any stretch of the imagination, that role is assigned to fans or probably a certain player on the pitch who is really good at pulling that sort of stuff off.

An ideal chairman is one who keeps the club at ground level when the going gets tough or the going gets good. An ideal chairman makes decisions that will ultimately affect positive growth of its sports branches, whilst analyzing the economic risks involved in big investments/expenditures. He is one who sets a clubs OWN standard, and doesn't devote time in trying to compete against other clubs materialistic and egotistical developments. Keeps things realistic. Allows staff to take care of their designated jobs. And above all, takes on the responsibility to hire accomplished, credible staff, that will provide proper consensus when making administrative decisions for respective sectors of the club.

Adnan Polat imo doesn't fit these criteria and would be detrimental to Galatasaray in the long run.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Its thanks to Polat we got players like Lincoln, Nonda and Linderoth. Its just that he needs to learn to shut his mouth, but then again, dont forget how you're president was in the beginning.

Uefa kupasi bir tesaduf
maclarin masa altinda kazanildigini ogrendim
vs vs

Not to forget how he ''suddendly stopped'' to overshadow our championsship and ''suddendly'' came back :dielaugh: Funny how fb fans(not only the ones here, on other forums and my fb friends in rl) say Polat wouldnt be a good chairman because he has no attitude and is a prick, that coming from the fans of a club with Aziz Yildirim as president.

Polat did make mistakes, sending Ilic off(he would do ALOT of goods in this team) and keeping Carrusca.. brining Feldkamp who hasnt trained a team for 10 years.. I hope he learns from this mistakes.

Polat and Ozturk in one team would be awesome. Maybe then we can be succesfull again in europe, thats all I want. Lig icin GS'in olusu yeter ama artik avrupanin 5ci sinif takimlarina karsi yenilmekten biktim.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I was going to write the same thing...

1 - 20 of 105 Posts