Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No thread about this yet?

Well, overall I'm REALLY happy that Reese Witherspoon wins Best Actress. I really love her and I think that she really deserves this award. I watched Walk the Line and I thought that her performace was superb: Her singing, southern accent, playing the autoharp, etc. She really potrayed June Carter Cash superbly. Her speech after she got the award was so humble and beautiful, unlike certain people....

I'm also really happy that brokeback didn't win Best Picture. I never watched both Crash and brokeback but a lot of my friends who watched Crash said that it's a really good movie.

I watched Capote and I thought Hoffman deserves the award, although I was rooting for Joaquin Phoenix.

What do you guys think?

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
That oscars svck, whatever who wins :tongue: , I really don't enjoy them, BUT always at least for two minutes I try to catch the rack of scarlett johansson, not much more, this year I lost it, any pic avaible? thanxs in advance.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I thought Crash may be a darkhrose to take the title and good to see it had success. Quite a shock it is.

Scarlett was not at this year's Oscar's wasn't she? Still you could probably see her at the after parties :D

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Shindig said:
Hollywood films are generally sentimental crap, anyway. Give me on that gives out a bad message and doesn't end happily, please.

Have you seen any of the movies nominated this year?
This was a very non-typical Oscar year, and even if I think Crash is just.... well, much too 'manufactured' and copy-cat like to win, I still rather enjoyed watching it for the acting performances.

Big plus for me was Philippe Seymore Hoffmann getting best actor, as he's just fantastic, and has been under the radar as regards main stream recognition forever. Hopefully the award to Witherspoon (after a great performance) means that she will leave the daft comedies and continue doing meaningful work.

I have yet to see Syriana, but I had hoped there'd be something for Goodnight and Goodluck. But perhaps I'm just coloured by politics and branch specific interest. Clooney is kinda cool, and he's been involved in many good things lately, so it's decent that he gets one.

Raquel Weisch got the best supporting actress... she did very well in The Constant Gardener, but her part was a pretty small one. Surprised that there wasn't someone else for this one.

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
I'm shaking my head at Crash's win...it had to be the worst movie I saw this past year, and I've seen several of the ones up for best picture (and some that should have been but weren't, like Syriana, Walk The Line, hell, even Charlie and the Chocolate Factory should have been in line before Crash). In the wake of Do The Right Thing, saying the concept is trite would be a nice way of putting it; and the dialogue was so artificial! "You don't know what it's like to be Black!" "You Mexicans are trailor trash!" "I'm Captain Obvious and I travel the galaxy aboard the Starship 'Duh!'" Any of the other four I would have been down with seeing win, but not that steamin pile of... Anyway, I just wonder who Paul Haggis slept with to bag that one.

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Glen said:
Big plus for me was Philippe Seymore Hoffmann getting best actor, as he's just fantastic, and has been under the radar as regards main stream recognition forever.
I got just a bit bleary-eyed hearing his speech, the way he thanked his mother. :proud: I've been a fan of his since (believe it or not) Boogie Nights, and Capote was just awesome!

Best speech was George Clooney's; as usual, his dry wit stole the show.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
One liner of the show IMHO was after the clip devoted to Hollywood taking a stand towards major issues: "Even since, all these problems have been solved" :howler: :howler: :howler:
Even good old Jack Nicholson laughed :tongue:

P.S. Usually I never watch the Oscar Awards, yesterday was an exeption :)

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Diavolo said:
One liner of the show IMHO was after the clip devoted to Hollywood taking a stand towards major issues: "Even since, all these problems have been solved" :howler: :howler: :howler:
Even good old Jack Nicholson laughed :tongue:
Yeah, that was a good one. :D

Anyone else notice how old Jack looked? Even his voice is getting that vibrato. It was also rather sad to see how much age has caught up with Lauren Becall as well. :(

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Phoenix said:
Yeah, that was a good one. :D

Anyone else notice how old Jack looked? Even his voice is getting that vibrato. It was also rather sad to see how much age has caught up with Lauren Becall as well. :(
Having said that I missed the last hour cause I was tired and becomming bored to death, I'm certainly pissed off that Jack was not put on earlier on, the show now that you told me :frustrat:
Anyway, Jack is #1 no matter how he looks or talks :stuckup:
He'll eventually look and talk younger when seated at a Laker match with his new loved one ;)

P.S. Agreed on Clooney being a cool cat :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Munich got ripped off.
Should've deserved at least 1 oscar.

·
Registered
23,873 Posts
Didn't we have any movies where the main actor had a mental illness this year? Obviously the easiest way to get an Oscar, but since we missed that it had to go to someone playing a homosexual. the again, reading the political forum some seems to think that is the same.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Phoenix said:
I'm shaking my head at Crash's win...it had to be the worst movie I saw this past year, and I've seen several of the ones up for best picture (and some that should have been but weren't, like Syriana, Walk The Line, hell, even Charlie and the Chocolate Factory should have been in line before Crash). In the wake of Do The Right Thing, saying the concept is trite would be a nice way of putting it; and the dialogue was so artificial! "You don't know what it's like to be Black!" "You Mexicans are trailor trash!" "I'm Captain Obvious and I travel the galaxy aboard the Starship 'Duh!'" Any of the other four I would have been down with seeing win, but not that steamin pile of... Anyway, I just wonder who Paul Haggis slept with to bag that one.
Finally, somebody who agrees with me. In a category that has seen both "Ordinary People" and "The English Patient"--which both sucked like that new Dyson vacuum cleaner do-- win, this was new low. But I did win ten bucks predicting it.
Best part was when the 3-6 Mafia won for the wonderfully titled "Its Hard Out Here For a Pimp". Usually you cannot play the "Thank Jesus Drinking Game" at the Oscars (although you can get pretty ****ed up watching the Soul Train Music Awards--or die watching the Spirit Awards), but at least I got one drink out of the 4 hours.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I liked Crash. It was bit pretentious, but it was very well shot.

Brokeback Mountain was just an average love story. If the people involved were not gay, noone would consider it for an Oscar, even though Ang Lee of course did a great job directing it.

Whoever likes Phillip Seymour Hoffman should check his performance in "Flawless", playing a cross-dresser music teacher opposite De Nero. Amazing - that was an Oscar performance. And of course, his little roles in every Paul Thomas Anderson movie are always a delight. Fantastic actor.

Something should have been in there for Goodnight, and good Luck. Clooney is increasingly going up and up in my estimation.

·
Administrator
52,461 Posts
I watched it for the host alone(and was amused by Clooney and Nickelson), Jon Stewart. Who was the most perfect host evah. They got my attention, if they bring him back for next year.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
vandeper said:
Crash was garbage! I'm not at all surprised it won!
Best movie i saw last year was probably "The Interpreter".

that is why you will never be a movie critic.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How can they give the Best Original "Song" to a "song" called "It's Hard To Be A Pimp" or whatever it's called??! You know, if black people ever expect to make progress then they NEED to detach themselves from this bullsh_t. I had to mute my TV until that insufferable "song" was done.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Phoenix said:
I got just a bit bleary-eyed hearing his speech, the way he thanked his mother. :proud: I've been a fan of his since (believe it or not) Boogie Nights, and Capote was just awesome!
Speech? What speech?

The man mumbled incoherently for a half-hour before they dragged him off the stage. :howler:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts