Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uefa has just confirmed that the CL final next year will be held in Atatürk Olympiyat :)

I hope they will fix the wind problem before the final. They have been talking about making some wind shields.

Istanbul and Lisbon get final nod
Thursday, 05 February 2004
The Atatürk Olympic stadium in Istanbul and the José Alvalade stadium in Lisbon will stage the 2005 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup finals respectively. The UEFA administration's recommendations were approved by UEFA's Executive Committee at its meeting in Nyon, Switzerland today.

Prestigious final
The Atatürk stadium in the Turkish city will host next year's final of European club football's most prestigious competition after a rigorous assessment procedure involving a number of top-class European stadiums that had been put forward as candidates.

Fully qualified
UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson said: "We have been looking into security matters based on the events of last autumn and we are being given all the necessary guarantees. They [Turkey] have qualified in all requirements, and it is also time to bring finals to other venues."

Final 'first'
The Atatürk stadium holds 80,000 spectators and will be hosting its first UEFA club competition final. UEFA's recommendation was made on the basis of assessments that included studies of airport and hotel facilities, supporter segregation factors, hospitality, media facilities and partner interest. This year's Champions League final is being staged at the Arena AufSchalke in Gelsenkirchen, Germany on 26 May.

Previous host
The José Alvalade stadium in Lisbon has a 50,000 capacity. It is one of the newly built stadiums that will host matches in this summer's UEFA EURO 2004™ finals.

Excellent facilities
The Lisbon venue, a modern stadium with excellent all-round facilities, was approved as the UEFA Cup final venue for next year following a detailed evaluation of the stadium infrastructures, as well as other logistical, commercial and media factors. The Ullevi stadium in Gothenburg, Sweden will host this year's UEFA Cup final on 19 May.

Work recognised
Mr Olsson added: "The choice of Lisbon is recognition for the work done in Portugal by the clubs, association and government in investing in the infrastructure of Portuguese football, which will now have the best facilities in Europe. It is quite a few years since we brought a club final to Portugal, and the stadium is excellent."

Turkish pride
In a separate announcement, it was confirmed that Turkey will stage the fifth UEFA-CAF Meridian Cup in 2005. The competition, which began in 1997, has previously been played in Portugal, South Africa, Italy and Egypt.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
This is great news....:)

Too bad it isnt a football stadium but still very impressive. I hope they fix the surroundings and the wind problems until then.

This was great great news....

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Great news for my Turksish friends
After missing out on Euro 2004
this event might start a new beginning
in Turkey Football.
:)

·
Administrator
24,843 Posts
see how uefa doesnt hate turkey;) :D

impressive pics btw:cool:

ps: btw the uefa cup final will take place in our sanitarium accomodations accross the street:tongue:

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
The english can fukk off, how does it concern them anyways no english team is going to the finals....not this year and not next!

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
:thumbsup:

Should we make it their, please help with tickets;)

Anyway I'm happy for Istambul

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
inacio said:
see how uefa doesnt hate turkey;) :D

it`s UEFAs way to say "we are sorry"! thank you UEFA... appoligies accepted ! :D

·
Administrator
24,843 Posts
Tolga said:

So still, F. you UEFA! :D
im on the way to reporting that coment to uefa offices:tongue:
hopefully still in time to get the final for ourselves:D :tongue:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
inacio said:
im on the way to reporting that coment to uefa offices:tongue:
hopefully still in time to get the final for ourselves:D :tongue:
Ana, you aren`t greedy, are you? :D

I would be happy with only one of them:

- EURO2004
- UEFA-cup final

:rollani:

·
Administrator
24,843 Posts
Esperar said:
Ana, you aren`t greedy, are you? :D

I would be happy with only one of them:

- EURO2004
- UEFA-cup final

:rollani:
not greedy, just helpful:tongue:

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Manny said:
Click the link to read what out english friends think about this:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2108327#post2108327

The Sinner Ronald Monk guy hates everything about Turkey. He is easily the most annyoing guy I've ever met on the internet. :mad:
Yea he is one of the lifeless english there who spend their whole time on the net posting stuff about others. The problem with that site is that there is also a lot of redneck Americans who dont know anything about Turkey or the Middle East and put their anti Muslim sentiments forward anytime.

·
*the drum drum*
42,532 Posts
Keep us updated on your progress, Ana :D

And also tell that Johansson guy that the 2007 final should be held at the Sükrü Saracoglu stadium...
Then I'll withdraw my comment :D

·
Administrator
24,843 Posts
Tolga said:

And also tell that Johansson guy that the 2007 final should be held at the Sükrü Saracoglu stadium...
excelent idea:D

we will wanna play the final in a friendly stadium:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts