Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The year 2004 will be remembered as the year the Roma we knew was uprooted and replanted. We've shared our multiple disappointments on the field and off, suffered with poor results and multiple coaches. Let's take a look back at some of the memorable moments.
Roma started the year after gaining 36 pre-Christmas points in 2003 - one of the greatest runs of results in Serie A history. In a sign of what was to come in 2004, though, La Roma stumbled against Milan in January in both Coppa Italia & Serie A. Still, we went on to defeat Juve 4-0 in a spectacular fashion, fulfilling many of our dreams and setting the stage for a solid 2nd place final showing in May behind Milan, who ended up setting a record for total points.
The waves of trouble pretty much started as soon as the ball stopped. We all know about our summer of discontent - we've been through it so many times - Capello's sudden traitorous departure, Emerson claimed depression and left for Juve :nono: and the skinny bright shining black piece of sh*t on the side of the road also left for the despised zebras.
We replaced Capello w/ Prandelli and went on an insane summer tour around the world. Prandelli dropped out due to an ill wife, Voeller took over a completely unorganized and riotous Roma and left after three matches and Del Neri took over. Samuel, our rock, had to be sold to Real Madrid to temporarily pay off debts.
We acquired Mexes through a controversial aquisition, Ferrari, Mido, Perrotta. We've witnessed an incredible number of Roma youth players take their place on the pitch and establish themselves. I'm thinking primarily of DeRossi in 2004, but Aquilani is also gaining valuable experience, so is Corvia.
Our tifosi shamed themselves multiple times in 2004, opening our eyes to the painful situation growing in the crowds at Olimpico. Who could ever forget our disappointment and shame regarding the Frisk incident, the cancelled derby, etc. Additionally, it sucked seeing Cassano's two-month tantrum, which disrupted the club and made it difficult for us to find serenity. Totti spit during the summer certainly hurt our image a lot, too.
We were soundly eliminated from the CL after several disgraceful performances and only 1 point gained. Chivu, Tommasi and other injuries have virtually crippled the club.
Heading into 2005, however, La Roma has reminded us why we all adore them. Del Neri's attack seems to be clicking, and we got 6 valuable points to put us at 23 points the last few weeks. Seriously, who could ever forget Totti's performance yesterday in breaking the club's scoring record? Cassano also bags two and Vinny, too. :angel:
I'm not saying we've come full circle, but we're finding some promise again in our play after a six-month nightmare. There are so many question marks with this club, but as we head into the holiday season and New Year, we all still have a lot to be thankful for in La Roma.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
4-0, it's like every Romanista's wet dream. It pretty much made my year and I think we had to pay back through a sensationally disorganized pre-season with no real object. I think the spitting incident was made to create balance too. Not to mention the row of managers and Cassano's drop in intelligence. It all led to a disastrous start of the season. So bad, we had to acheive something positive before the end of 2004. We have a new top scoring legend and Cassano was given back his intelligence. I blame the second part of 2004 on 4-0, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Juve merda :shades:

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
It's a shame we've missed out on the CL, and again we seem to be hitting form just a moment too late, but that's life i guess. We certainly have looked much better over the past month, mostly thanks to our magnificent tridente. If we can keep these three togheter for another year or two at least, i think we'll have the foundations for one of the best attacks the world has ever seen.

Merry Christmas, my red and yellow brethren:)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
THe year of 2004 the year of the rebirth of Montella. De Rossi earning a place in Italy's side. Ferrari finding some good form as well as Dellas becoming the man in the middle. Cufre a lion, Perrota blue collar and workman like bulling his way to score his first ever goal for Cagliari. So mush work needs to be done but Roma is capable of it.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Great resume,Primo.For me,everything was fine until June when the 3 stooges left..All our problems have stemmed from there.Be it the merry-go-round of managers,the lack of defensive play,it basically took away stability from our club.I still maintain our club lacks professionalism in every area.Take for example,the web site,there is no English version,and for a top club that is not on.Its the same with the shirt makers/sponsors.If Totti wants to win Ballon D'Or,you stand a better chance with Nike or Adidas.It seems too many people who work at Trigoria get the job not through ability but because they know someone who works there,and in some way this penalises ROMA.As for how things have gone,I am pleased at our standing all things considered.I would never have imagined being so close to CL spot about a month ago.That is the good point since the summer.I am still left hurting with our CL expoits though and that I will blame on Capello and Emerson.As for Zebina,he was the first to move there even though he was on the verge of signing for Milan.Maybe,Capello pointed him in that direction.Also with Chivu out for so long we have basically played with a new defence since the summer.I really miss Chivu.He was instrumental for us last year.Having witnessed Totti become the highest goalscorer for ROMA was the best part of the year.Anyway,there have been more lows than highs this year,and it only served to fire my passion for ROMA even more.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
ROMA 10 said:
Take for example,the web site,there is no English version,and for a top club that is not on.
I must be the only one not even remotely disturbed by this. At a certain point I just feel as though: you want information on something? Fine, get off your ass and get it. Don't expect everything to be handed to you. Learn italian if it's really that great a need for information on the official site (that information is usually completely uninteresting anyway, for real insight you'll want sources less biased than people who will try to sugarcoat everything).

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At a certain point I just feel as though: you want information on something? Fine, get off your ass and get it. Don't expect everything to be handed to you. >>

It's a good attitude to have toward certain matters, but certainly not business. The fact is, it is Roma that requires fans for its survival and livelihood, not the other way around. It is therefore incumbent on the club and its owners to make the club available to all, or at least make some efforts to reach out to the greater world.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Primo said:
At a certain point I just feel as though: you want information on something? Fine, get off your ass and get it. Don't expect everything to be handed to you. >>

It's a good attitude to have toward certain matters, but certainly not business. The fact is, it is Roma that requires fans for its survival and livelihood, not the other way around. It is therefore incumbent on the club and its owners to make the club available to all, or at least make some efforts to reach out to the greater world.
Totally agree,Primo.I for one do understand Italian and this does not bother me.Yet,a friend of mine who started to show interest in Serie A and AS ROMA was annoyed at how the information was not easily available.I for one have emailed AS ROMA about this,sadly to no avail.What really saddens me and Primo touched on it,is the message it sends out.The market place has become a smaller place thanks to the internet,yet AS ROMA are giving out a signal to potential fans that you can follow us if you like,yet we do not need you.Certainly,they should look after any potential fans' needs,they could be the difference that take ROMA to another level.I for one would welcome fans from Asia and Australia and would do everything to cater to their needs to make them feel welcome.Its called good business management.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Then I guess I'm not thinking big enough. Because I honestly do not see the future of AS Roma being placed in the hands of some random fans in Australia or Asia. Yeah, so they'd bring up the income slightly by buying a few products, but it's like a drop in the ocean. I can fully see why ASR feels as though it is more worthwhile to concentrate on the fans in Rome, and not selling out, Real Madrid style.

And this asian market we hear so much about. Man United - arguably one of the three biggest and wellknown clubs in the entire world - declared a couple of years ago that out of all their revenue during a fiscal year, a whooping one percent (yes, that's 1%) came from the 'golden' asian market, aka the home of counterfeits.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Funny: "you want information on something? Fine, get off your ass and get it. Don't expect everything to be handed to you. Learn italian if it's really that great a need for information on the official site"

It's learning a language, not heating a frozen pizza. :D

However, learning Italian is an object for me. Just after finishing school :shades:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts