Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst friends growing up followed the likes of Milan, Juve, Inter, Lazio and Roma little old me always followed Fiorentina in the Italian League. Unfortunately when the team folded and was reborn under its alternate name in the lower leagues I lost touch as the English media didnt cover that division.

My questions are how have Fiorentina been doing this season as a whole

and

How and why did they manage to get their name back to Fiorentina when I'd heard that due to that club folding it would never be allowed

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
In two words, our season has been utter sh!te

The name as i understand was bought off the old "company". Technically, in the eyes of the Italian law/buisness what not, we are a new club born in 2002.

As for low coverage, pfffft! im in Australia, there's the net!

·
Registered
904 Posts
As part of the Bankrupsy procedings, all of the old club Fiorentina's assets were sold off in auction in order to raise as much money as the courts could in order to pay off as much of the debt as possible. Part of those assets were the name "Fiorentina", the teams colors (which I always thought was ridiculous that we weren't allowed to wear the color purple until we bought that right), and even our old trophies. So we're still the new club that formed a couple of years ago, be we own the right to the name Fiorentina now, as well as the items of the old Fiorentina's history.

We started off in the 4th division (Serie C2), and finished in the top spot in our first year to win promotion to the 3rd division (Serie C1). However, due to a bunch of issues in Italian soccer we played the next year in the 2nd division (Serie B) rather than 3rd (Serie C1) and in that season just managed to squeek into the last promotion spot to play in Serie A. As stated above, or Serie A campaign has been pretty poor and we're currently second from the bottom in the table. We have some good players, but not enough to fill all positions, and have no depth at all. Throw in some unfortunate injuries to some of those good players and the fact that the team was all new to each other at the start of the season and our campaign has been a struggle from the get go (though it actually was only recently that we fell into the relegation zone). With 4 matches left, 3 of them are against teams that we're battling relegation with, so we can still make it out if we play well from now on. We've shown well against teams at the top of the table (though not well enough to win), but have played like utter crap against the middle and lower teams in the league (which doesn't give us much hope with these next few relegation dogfights we have to finish the season with).

Next match is against Chievo (the flying donkey's) who, if we win, we'll jump over in the league table (and out of the relegation zone), but if we loose, will have a very difficult gap to climb out of for survival this season (though not impossible).

Watch the match this Sunday and Cheer on the Viola!!!!!!

chris...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts