Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Argentina coach Carlos Bilardo, a man famous for his ruthless approach and gamesmanship, was in the middle of a row on Wednesday involving a bottle of water, Brazil and the 1990 World Cup.

Bilardo appeared to imply in an interview with a Buenos Aires magazine that Argentina offered Brazil's players a bottle of water which had been drugged with a tranquilliser as the South American rivals met in a 1990 World Cup tie.

"I'm not saying it didn't happen," the controversial coach known as Big Nose told the magazine Veintitres.

However, as Brazilians, believing that Bilardo had confirmed what they had long suspected, were calling for action to be taken, the coach later denied the episode in an interview with Brazil's Estado News Agency.

"Not this again," he was quoted as saying.

"I don't know anything about it," added Bilardo, who led Argentina to World Cup victory in 1986. "These magazines always put what they want."

"Since then, I've spoken to Falcao, Casagrande, Junior, Dunga, (Carlos Alberto) Parreira, (Luiz Felipe) Scolari .. and nobody said anything about it."

The incident ranks alongside Argentina's 6-0 win over Peru, which took them to the 1978 World Cup final on goal difference at Brazil's expense, as one of the great controversies in the tournament's history.

Brazil were dominating the second round match, which was played in stifling heat, when an Argentine player went down injured in the second half and the team doctors and physiotherapists came on to the pitch.

The Argentine players took advantage to drink some water and some of their opponents, including leftback Blanco, came over to share some.

Argentina, who went on to reach the final, sneaked a late breakaway goal to win 1-0. Two days afterwards, Branco said that he had felt dizzy after drinking the water.

Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) general secretary Marco Antonio Teixeira said: "This is an extremely serious fact .. we're preparing a dossier."

Brazil's current coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said he found the story difficult to believe but said the incident should be investigated.

"It's something that needs to be better looked into," he told reporters. "I find it difficult to believe that a coach of Bilardo's standing (should be involved)."

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
im not so sure about that story. one thing im sure about is that whether it happened or not, it didn't impact the game. brazil played quite well in that game. brazil lost because of the missed opportunities

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- The Brazilian Soccer Confederation said it will ask FIFA to investigate the possibility that its players were drugged by their Argentine rivals during a game at the 1990 World Cup following a magazine interview in which Carlos Bilardo appeared to suggest the incident may have occurred.

The story was widely publicized in Brazilian media after Bilardo, the coach of Argentina in 1990, was asked by a reporter from Argentine magazine Veintitres if his team offered Brazilian players bottles of water laced with tranquilizers during their second-round match.

Bilardo said he wasn't aware of the doping, but then added: "I'm not saying it didn't happen. I don't know, I don't know."

The interview made headlines all over Brazilian newspapers, causing an outburst of complaints against the Argentine rivals.

Argentina won the match 1-0 and went on to the final, where it lost to Germany in the tournament played in Italy.

On Thursday, Bilardo tried to downplay the interpretation of his comments, telling the Argentine daily Clarin his remarks were taken out of context.

"What a scandal, and it's all based on something I never said," he said. "I never put anything in anybody's water bottle."

Still, the Brazilian confederation said it will prepare a dossier to ask FIFA to "thoroughly investigate" the allegations, a spokesman said Thursday.

"We expect a harsh punishment by FIFA if someone is found guilty," Marco Antonio Teixeira, the confederation's secretary-general, told o Estado de S. Paulo newspaper.

Sebastiao Lazaroni, then the Brazilian coach, also called for punishment: "It's a shame, FIFA needs to set an example with this case," he told a local radio station.

Defender Branco, now a coordinator of Brazil's younger squads, at the time complained about feeling dizzy after drinking water offered by the Argentines.

"I talked about the possibility at the time, but nobody gave much attention," he told the Lance sports daily. "I could've been caught on a doping test and my career would've been jeopardized."

Clarin, the Argentine daily, said in a small story Thursday that the Brazilians inaccurately cited Bilardo's quote. It took to a creative headline on the magazine article: "I (almost) confess that I have used trickery."

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
This ridiculous, FIFA should take a position ASAP. If it's true, then it's a truly disgraceful act, but why would tehy tell us in the first place?

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
They didn't 'tell' us, Maradona mentioned the story in an interview, laughing his ass off about how smart they were to do it to us... he actually takes pride in being dishonest, respecting the opponents and rules clearly was never part of Diego's priorities.

So the whole thing was only brought back to light because one of the people involved in promoting that sham didn't think it was something he needed to hide, and decided to brag about how he got away with it. :wth:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts