Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would Serie A benefit from going back to consisting of 18 teams? What do you believe are the cons and pros of such a move?

Pros

- There is no denying that teams in Serie A lack squad depth, especially those who participate in european competitions suffer.

- It would make the league more competitive. Some teams are just not good enough for Serie A,

19/20, Brescia and SPAL were punching bags
18/19, Frosinone and Chievo had no business being in Serie A
17/18, Verona and Benevento conceeeded 1000 goals each
etc.

- Best period of Serie A had 18 clubs

·
1st Tier Poster
50,216 Posts
yes it would be good

I wonder what would be the best way to go about it? relegate 5 teams and promote 3 teams from Serie B? Relegate 4 and promote 2? Relegate 3 as usual and promote only 1? Or some kind of promotion/relegation playoffs between 16th and 17th Serie A teams and 2nd and 3rd Serie B teams?

·
Registered
46,430 Posts
The first season I followed, back in 1982/83, had just 16 clubs. No Milan, no Lazio, no Atalanta, no Bologna. A few clubs such as Ascoli, Avellino, Catanzaro, Cesena and Pisa were in serie A instead. It was a cool season, probably one of the best I remember.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Andy, playoff between 17th/16th in Serie A and 2nd to 7th in Serie B would be the best solution. Then they should flush the two extra teams out of B, C and D too. Divisions in tier 5 have inconsistent number of teams anyway. Some have 16, while others have 18.

@toni, don't you feel 18 teams Serie A would be better? Its evident that even the top teams don't have the squad depth necessary to compete in continental competitions and 20 teams Serie A. With 4 fewer matches, the teams in continental competitions will get a chance to catch a breather.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even in EPL Liverpool and Man Utd have apparently proposed an 18 team EPL. They want to push two teams out of the top 4 tiers of the English league system. They also want only 1 team to directly be relegated from EPL. The remaining two will play play offs against Championship teams. They also want to remove the league cup.

The top EPL teams have more than sufficient squad depth to compete in several competitions. At least compared to teams in our league.

·
Registered
46,430 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely in favor of a 18-club serie A. Not that it would necessarily be a serie A without Crotone and Benevento!
I would not be in favor of relegation playoffs involving serie A second to last and third to last vs serie B second and third, no matter whether three direct relegations could mean glorious clubs going to serie B more easily. Like I said, I have wonderful memories of 1982/83, a 16-club serie A, when Lazio, Milan, Atalanta and Bologna were in serie B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts