Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting from 2006/07 season, Divizia A will go back to the 18 team system, with Divizia B having two groups of 18 and Divizia C having six groups of 18.

FRF decided for this today, and will involve next season relegating just 2 teams from the top tier and promoting 4 from Divizia B- the 3 group winners and the winner of a mini-tournament involving the 3 second placed teams.

From 2006/07 the bottom 4 of Divizia A will relegate and the top 2 of each Divizia B group will promote. 8 teams will relegate from Divizia B and 8 teams will promote from Divizia C; the 6 group winners and the top two of a playoff group involving the 2nd placed teams.

This is one very ****ed up system; as is the one existing already actually. :nono:
There should be just one group for the top two tiers at least; below that it doesn't matter too much, but 6 groups of 18 is just silly.

I'd be interested to see what you all think about this.

·
International
9,682 Posts
It's a bit too early to put 18 teams in Divizia A. They should have waited for at least 2 more years.

As for Divizia B & C, this new system is much better but still crap. They should've turned Divizia B in a single series of 18 teams. I'm sure that by turning it into a single series the teams in it could work out toghether and sell the TV rights to a media company. With 2 series of questionable quality, this is nearly impossible.

Divizia C should've had two series, like Divizia B is planned to have, the western series and the easterns series, but only for a couple of years, as a transitional system to a single C division.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there is enough money in the system to support 18 teams. If you look at Scotland for example you'll see a league with only 12 teams but one that has high standards (off the pitch) and very good conditions for it's clubs which coudn't happen is the league had 18 or even 16 teams. They with a small league also have regular competitors in European competitions which is something we have just started to blossom in for the last two years and could be held back under a more financially-spread 18 team system.

I struggle to understand any advantages the FRF/LPF see to adding 2 teams to the league. They are giving themselves bigger money burdens than they already have, of course lowering avarage standards and creating a less competitive league, probably leaving several ambition-less teams not too far into the season by a growing gap between the top few and the rest. The FRF are rushing, they need to slow down a bit if they want a European-level system.

First make the standards high for the 16 or even 12 teams and then add if it is necessary which at this moment it isn't. There aren't teams in Divizia B at present too good for it; they can stay there. A smaller, 12 system for A and B would make it easier to keep high standards and also increase competitivness. If you have a system like the Swiss idea for example there are many other advantages. 12 teams in A and B playing 22 rounds home-away in the first half of the season July- December. In the second half the top 8 of A play-off 14 rounds home-away to determine the champion- the bottom 4 play-out with the top 4 of B to determine who plays next season in A and who plays in B- top 4 of the 8 go in A, bottom 4 go in B. It's similar for C only there are 2 groups.

Yes, it's more complicated but: 1. teams always have something to play for; there is no cushion for the top few :- much more competitive league, 2. more rounds and games: 36 rounds instead of the 30/34 in the 16/18 team system, therfore more derbies (!!), four Steaua-Dinamos, Rapid-Steauas etc. 3. more money for the top tier every year and relegated teams also benefit from this money to build. More $$ from the FRF/LPF per team of course means our poor financial level gets better :- the Danciulescus, Maricas and Tamases STAY IN ROMANIA; more money is one; the high competition is another reason. Players from abroad will also come to Romania if there is money and competition. 4. On David's idea of TV money; this joint-league system makes it gold for broadcasters because there will always be good football all over the league system from A to C.
I'm sure there are more advantages. The disadvantages: The transgression season would be extreme and of course less teams/towns in the higher levels.

I think it would be too good for our football because the raw talent we have is excellent. It would have to last more than 10-15 seasons or so until some teams in B actually are too good for their league, but that's just dreaming at this stage. Less would surely be more for us now. If more doesn't become less then we're lucky IMO.

·
Registered
70,036 Posts
I don´t think more than 16 teams in the Romanian first division is good. But to see so many teams in Divizia B is even worse!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think Romania is capable of having 18 teams...

I believe that aslong as all its major cities around the country have a team in the competition we can have a good league...this means having at least one team from Oradea, Cluj, Bistrita, Timisoara, Craiova, Iasi, Brasov, Galati, Bacau, Braila, Constanta, Alba-Iulia, Resita, and ofcourse the main teams from Bucuresti and u can have urself a nice good competition with good crowd numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts