1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.goal.com

Gulf Cup Preview:
12/6/2004 7:13:00 PM
The seventeenth Gulf Cup will kick-off in Qatar’s capital city, Doha, on December 10th. Eight teams from the Persian Gulf area will battle it out for regional supremacy. The competition began in 1970 and is usually held every two years, though this tournament comes only a year after the last one, in an attempt to reschedule the competition to start after the World Cup. After the Christmas Eve final is over, the next Gulf Cup will again resume its bi-annual status. Goal.com Asia correspondent John Duerden offers this guide to the chances of the eight competing teams…
Group 1

Iraq

It is the Iraqis’ first Gulf Cup appearance since 1990 which has expanded the competition to eight teams. The Iraq side of the eighties was a team to be reckoned with, reaching the 1986 World Cup finals and winning the Gulf Cup in 1979, 1984 and again in 1988. New coach Adnan Hamd will need to harness his young team’s energy. Dynamic striking duo, Younis Mahmoudan and Emad Mohammed will be hoping to extend a few flashes of promise into something more consistent.

Oman

Oman had a pretty poor record in the Gulf Cup until the late nineties when results started to improve. Milan Maccala’s improving side boast one of the best goalkeepers in Asia, Al Habsi, who won the top ‘keeper award in the last competition as well as in the Norwegian league where he plies his trade between the sticks with SFK Lyn. The Omanis will be glad that they don’t have to face Japan for a change and subsequently will be looking to mount a serious challenge this time, especially as coach Maccala has the experience of leading Kuwait to two Gulf Cups.

United Arab Emirates

The UAE used to be one of the best teams in Asia, as was demonstrated by their appearance in Italia ’90. Those days seem a long time ago as the country has slipped to become one of the more mediocre continental sides. Last place in 2002 was terrible by any standards and Roy Hodgson’s inability to improve on that by more than one place in January 2004 cost the Englishman his job. After missing out on the World and Asian Cups, the Gulf Cup is a chance to end the year on a high but Aad De Mos’s side will do well to reach the semi-finals. Now could be the time for the Dutchman to put his faith in midfield prodigy, Ismail Matar.

Qatar

Bosnian Dzemaluddin Musovic has the expectations of the 700,000 people on his shoulders, small by international standards but the hosts have a good standing in the region. The title was won in 1992 and the last two competitions have brought a third place and a runners-up spot. However, 2004 has been a turbulent year for the Qataris with Phillipe Troussier being sacked after one game of a dismal Asian Cup and the team never getting anywhere near the next stage of World Cup qualifying.

The Q-League may be attracting some famous if ageing stars but the crowds that flock into Doha’s stadium will be hoping to see some of their own become heroes.

Group 2

Yemen

Although the country is not actually a Gulf state, Yemen will be participating in their second Gulf Cup and will be desperate to improve on their first one which consisted of one point and eighteen goals conceded in six games. Despite finishing bottom of Group five in World Cup qualifying, progress seems to have been made with the recruitment of Algerian coach, Rabeh Sadaan. Points were taken off all three of their fellow group members, the most notable performance being a 3-1 victory over the UAE in Sana’a in September. However, the last four of the Gulf Cup will be out of reach for the Yemenis.

Bahrain

Second place in last January’s Gulf Cup served as a springboard for an excellent year for the tiny Gulf state. It is a measure of the progress made in recent years, especially during the eighteen month reign of Srecko Juricic, that to go out in the semi-finals of the Asian Cup was seen as a failure. That performance was followed by first place in their World Cup qualifying group. Star striker A’laa Hubeil is on the short list for Asia’s Player of the Year and he will certainly win it if he emulates team-mate Talal Youssouf’s performance as the top scorer in the last Gulf Cup. This could be Bahrain’s year.

Saudi Arabia

The defending champions will be looking to win three in a row and while they have the pedigree, they are not infallible. A nightmare performance in the Asian Cup will have given the other teams hope. That wrong was put to right with ruthless efficiency in the World Cup qualifiers with six wins out of six and one conceded. New coach, Argentine Gabriel Calderon will take the reins for this competition and with qualifying for the World Cup starting again in February he will want his team to get into the winning habit.

Kuwait

Out of the sixteen Gulf Cups played since its inception twenty-four years ago, Kuwait has won nine of them, an amazing record by any standard. But standards seemed to have slipped since the last victory in 1998 especially when considering that the Gulf Cup Kings only finished above bottom in January 2004 because of the inclusion of new boys Yemen. Despite a similarly poor Asian Cup, the year has improved since then with the surprise advancement to the next round of World Cup qualifying. Skipper Bashar Abdullah will be hoping to join a long list of compatriots who have lifted the cup but his team will do well to finish above the Saudis or Bahrain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'm saudi ...
so the first match will be between us ,,
it's the greatest in the whole round ...

good luck for all ..

Thanks .​

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
This tournament is the most overhyped in the world! It's always hyped and when it commences you just can not help but change the channel or falling asleep!

Gonna be boring as usual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pooh said:
This tournament is the most overhyped in the world! It's always hyped and when it commences you just can not help but change the channel or falling asleep!

Gonna be boring as usual.[/QUOTE

Hey Pooh if you don't like it,just don't post here :wallbang:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes everyone has the right to say what he wants but if he is not going to say

something construcive why bother? to bring the tournament down!!

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Snell said:
Yes everyone has the right to say what he wants but if he is not going to say

something construcive why bother? to bring the tournament down!!

The tournament bringing itself down! There is no need for me to do that as its useless for anybody to big up such lousy tournament!

Just for your information dude, by registering to these forums I have earned the right to say whatever I want as long as it dose not contain insults or racist comments, which means that I am not going to wait for somebody like you to tell me where to post and where to not!

Gulf Cup is boring and overhyped and this is actually not my opinion alone, this is what so many people think of such lousy cup! Gulf media tends to big up and make all kinds of fuss of this tournament for whatever purposes, marketing, bigging up their NT's but the fact is that: It sucks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hehe do you think anyone care about you? :howler:

But I just meant out of courtesy if you don't have anything constructive to say,you better not to say anything at all but may be I was exepcting too much of someone like you. :rollani:

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Hehe do you think anyone care about you?

Splinded. Then feck off and mind your fecking business.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fuk off?

Why should I? It is our cup,and this is its thread

it is you who should not be there if you don't like it as much as you say.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Right....in Lebanon we have a saying "Khalleena s7aab" So calm it down you two! :shades: :cap:

Who watched the 1st two games. I seriously cant believe how Iraq underperformed...against a very underrated Omani side. :wth: Was a good game though. Iraq's #10 Younis was particularly impressive, it was just a shame he had to resort to diving antics toward the end of the match.

I couldn't catch Qatar-UAE which ended 2-2. Anyone have comments on the opening game?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Snell said:
Fuk off?

Why should I? It is our cup,and this is its thread

it is you who should not be there if you don't like it as much as you say.

Bla bla bla, dude, you gotta revise your useless life!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pooh said:
Just for your information dude, by registering to these forums I have earned the right to say whatever I want as long as it dose not contain insults or racist comments, which means that I am not going to wait for somebody like you to tell me where to post and where to not!
Pooh said:
Hehe do you think anyone care about you?
Splinded. Then feck off and mind your fecking business.
Well done pooh. You just kicked yourself in the face and earned your own right to leave.

Your opinion was welcomed as everyone's entitled to state their opinion. That's not something special though as the saying goes: "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one."

As for the Gulf Cup, there's no doubt that the standard of football is below that of the European stages. That doesn't take away the excitement though because the rivalries are intense between these teams. This is like the rivalries between university teams, highschool teams or even neighborhood teams.

What I find important though, is to support the effort to improve the Gulf Cup. The fans must do their part. If we just say that it "sucks, " turn away and then expect things to change, then we're being naive. If you're not from any participating country or from another Arab country, then you're not obliged to help improve it.

Anyhow, If you find it borring, that's fine. This probably means that you have nothing to do with these NTs. I think snell made a valid point that your post wasn't constructive and there was completely no argument made. It was ONLY a matter of opinion (which, again, you're fully entitled to). If you would like to add something of an argument why nobody else should watch the gulf cup, then you're more than welcome and i'm all ears (or eyes).

As for the opening games, I watched most of Qatar-UAE. While, again, the footballing standard was very low, I was impressed by the Stadium (English style) and the camera and production job (like instant replays, multiple angles and the main camera angle) that they've done to make it look more appealing to the fans. Nonetheless, it was very exciting. Watching the Qatar players fight to the end for a draw then a win was great.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Majed said:
Well done pooh. You just kicked yourself in the face and earned your own right to leave.

Your opinion was welcomed as everyone's entitled to state their opinion. That's not something special though as the saying goes: "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one."

As for the Gulf Cup, there's no doubt that the standard of football is below that of the European stages. That doesn't take away the excitement though because the rivalries are intense between these teams. This is like the rivalries between university teams, highschool teams or even neighborhood teams.

What I find important though, is to support the effort to improve the Gulf Cup. The fans must do their part. If we just say that it "sucks, " turn away and then expect things to change, then we're being naive. If you're not from any participating country or from another Arab country, then you're not obliged to help improve it.

Anyhow, If you find it borring, that's fine. This probably means that you have nothing to do with these NTs. I think snell made a valid point that your post wasn't constructive and there was completely no argument made. It was ONLY a matter of opinion (which, again, you're fully entitled to). If you would like to add something of an argument why nobody else should watch the gulf cup, then you're more than welcome and i'm all ears (or eyes).

As for the opening games, I watched most of Qatar-UAE. While, again, the footballing standard was very low, I was impressed by the Stadium (English style) and the camera and production job (like instant replays, multiple angles and the main camera angle) that they've done to make it look more appealing to the fans. Nonetheless, it was very exciting. Watching the Qatar players fight to the end for a draw then a win was great.

You are such an arse! 1st of all I again have the right to say whatever I want and whenever I fancy to do so. This is a right I will always stick to especially if it bothers and itch your arses so very much like that. You or Snell or any other air heads in here can not stop me or anybody else from posting wherever they like and this thread makes no difference to me.

Back to my 1st post, I was very much shocked with the amount of media hype about this tournament! It was simply over all measures for such a lousy cup! Al-Jazirra deprived us from Watching Barca game tonight and I am expecting them to do the same tomorrow for RM match just to broadcast the Kuwait Vs Saudi Arabia matche and because the tournament in Qatar! This is absured. However, I just statedan opinion of the hype about the tournament and thought that others have noticed the same but I found that no-good for anything Snell coming here and telling 1- NOT TO POST 2- WHO CARES ABOUT YOU?! I find myself in the defensive and already have the right to respond to such nonesense.

You want to imporve the cup? Start inviting teams out of the Gulf area or maybe out of the Arabic area, teams like Nigeria, Cameroun, Argentina, Brazil etc etc. How is that? Better off cancel the whole thing I say.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Look I'm not taking sides here, but I had the same thing in mind as Pooh prior to the start of the tournament. However, the media previews, the hype, the excitement all proved to be worth it: the games have been of a good standard, with all teams playing their hearts out.

In addition to the good media promotion for the Gulf Cup, there is another factor which is adding to the excitement of this year's edition: the 2 group -> knockout/semis/final game format. This is definitely more appealing than the crappy league format they used to play the tournament in.

So far Qatar-UAE, Iraq-Oman, Yemen-Bahrain and Kuwait-Saudi have been action-packed games full of surprises. I honestly can't wait to see what'll happen in the semis! :drool:

Pooh, just try to keep an open mind, take a look at the games (yeah I know u'd rather watch Barca ;) ) because the Gulf teams are trying real hard both physically on the pitch and of course needless to say...financially :) For example, just look at how much $ Qatar have spent trying to improve their football infrastructure, and just nearly missed out on qualifying for the 2nd phase of the Asian WC Quals. :(

Finally.........Forza UAE :D

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys any one can say or write what ever he wants to! , We are talking here about gulf cup, in our countries we love it, if somebody does Not. It’s his opinion! But will love it forever, we went to the world cup, we won Asia cup, we made a history out of this tournament! It’s our world cup in the Arabian Gulf :)

But still every body can say what ever they want about it :)

It’s that easy

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KUWAIT warmed up for a possible tenth Gulf Cup title win with a convincing 2-1 victory over Asian giants Saudi Arabia in a group B clash at the Al Rayyan Stadium yesterday.
The nine-time champions rallied from the initial shock of being a goal down to produce an attacking display that often had the Saudi defence in tatters with only the towering presence of the veteran goalkeeper, Mohammed al-Dayaea, proving to be the saving grace.
But for Al-Dayaea’s experience in the goal, the Saudis would have ended up losers by an even larger margin as Kuwait produced the kind of form they displayed in qualifying for the second stage of the World Cup qualifiers from Asia.
Yet Al-Dayaea conceded two goals, a tribute to the Kuwaitis’ enterprise up front rather than any shortcomings on the part of the goalkeeper who has for long served his country’s cause with distinction.
Saudi Arabia, who had cockily announced a few days ago that they would go back home with the 17th Gulf Cup secure in their grasp, looked like having had the full measure of the Kuwaitis in the first half but ran out of steam later to cede the advantage.
Mesaed Al-Enzi was Kuwait’s star of the evening, scoring off a free-kick to help his team equalise and then setting up a brilliant goal for Bader al-Mutawa for the winner.
The match started at a cracking pace and Kuwait were soon in business when a powerful al-Enzi free kick from 30 yards out brought out the best in Al Dayaea, who flew to his left to thwart what could have been a brilliant sixth-minute goal.
Although a bit rattled by the early onslaught, Saudi Arabia rallied their forces with confidence and set about the task of breaking down the Kuwaiti defence.
They succeeded in their endeavour in the 13th minute when Yasser al-Qahtani, their star striker, received a long cross from the far right to tap the volley in with the outside of his right foot with the Kuwaiti defenders nowhere in the picture.
The Saudis, who are looking for a hat-trick in the tournament, having won it in 2002 and 2003-04, were presented with a wonderful opportunity to increase their lead when Ibrahim Soweidi was brought down by al-Enzi and the referee pointed to the dreaded spot.
However, Mohammed Shalloub blasted the ball into the crosspiece much to his team’s dismay and, to make matters worse, Kuwait were up and away on the break.
But al-Enzi, with just the goalkeeper in front of him, sent the ball flying wide.
Saudi Arabia had another chance to score immediately afterwards, but Hamad al-Montashari’s powerful header was stopped by the Kuwaiti goalkeeper Shahab Ahmed.
A few minutes before the interval, Saudi Arabia lost Mohammed Noor to a red card after the defender launched into an argument with the referee following a booking.
The second session was even more furiously contested even though it was error-ridden and littered with several fouls with Kuwait’s Khalid Shemmari bringing down al-Qahtani to become the second player to be expelled from the match.
Kuwait, who were probing the Saudi defence for the equaliser, had to wait till as late as the 75th minute when al-Enzi got the breakthrough, aided by a little dose of luck.
A powerful free kick saw the ball go under the legs of a leaping defender, wrongfooting al-Dayaea and sparking celebrations in the Kuwaiti camp.
Sensing that a draw would not serve their cause the Saudis went on an all-out attack but without any success.
In fact, they actually paid dearly for neglecting their backline when, in the 86th minute, al-Enzi floated the ball from near the centre for the unmarked Bader al-Mutawa, who lobbed it over al-Dayaea.
However, the Saudi goalkeeper was quick to rush back and, in a desperate attempt to clear the danger, kicked the ball into the underside of the bar.
Al-Mutawa’s second shot was also saved by al-Dayaea, but the Kuwaiti made good of his third attempt, finding the net easily from three yards to put his team in the lead.
Hosts Qatar will play Iraq while Oman meet the United Arab Emirates tomorrow after today’s rest day

1 - 20 of 95 Posts