Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
14th Championship Thrown Away

My first season as an Inter supporter was the year Sampdoria beat us to the championship. The season when Inter’s Captain of the day, Lothar Matthaus, got carried off the field of play on a stretcher with a knee injury. He took the easy way out and never returned to play another game for us and Jurgen Klinsmann was booed by our own fans because he had only scored nine or so goals. At the end of the season he was sold to Monaco. As for Brehme, I do not recall the circumstances in which he departed or to which club he went. In the intervening years our regular starters were players like Walter Zenga, Bergomi, Angelo Orlando, and Nicola Berti. Our supposed star players were Darko Pancev, Jim Jonk, and Dennis Bergkamp who all failed miserably The only real player that we possessed was Ruben Sosa and although I have had many disappointments as an Inter supporter, nothing compares to last night and our loss to Lazio.

The simple truth of the matter is that we wasted our chances for this championship weeks ago. Against Chievo, we conceded a last minute goal and Atalanta beat us at home. The loss of points in these matches made our brilliant efforts against Milan, Roma and Juventus count for nothing. There was also the match against Venezia in which Maniero took a dive and robbed us of two points and the last minute equaliser that Parma got, denying us our first victory in Parma since that team were promoted to Serie A. And as for last night’s match we simply played terribly. Our players thought that Lazio were simply going to give us the three points and they relied too much on that single factor as opposed to their own skills. I thought the goals we scored were quite special but when we conceded just before half time I had a terrible feeling things were not going to go our way. I have seen replays of Gresko’s terrible mistake and I feel sickened. I have never seen him play a positive and confident game and I simply dislike him. He is not good enough to be wearing an Inter shirt. As for the second half, the result speaks for itself.

First and foremost Inter must now look for a decent left back. Gresko is useless and Georgatos is not much better. I used to think quite highly of Georgatos but every time he played in either the UEFA Cup or the championship, we conceded goals. Also, I am surprised at Cuper’s decision to play Conceicao as opposed to Seedorf. The former player was useless last night and should be sold. Inter should look to play Seedorf regularly or else purchase a new right sided winger.

There are a few positives though…
Firstly, Vieri scored 22 goals in 24 matches. We missed his services for ten matches. I am not sure how many points we dropped without him but next season, if he is fit he might make things a little easier for us. Also, the same can be said for Ronaldo who contributed to our push for the championship. Without his goals in the last few weeks we would not have been able to fight to the last day. Not that it was much of a fight. Also, we were without Recoba until the new year due to his passport ban and his helping Uruguay qualify for the World Cup against Australia. If we replace Grekso, as well as purchase a decent right sided winger, a backup defender and possibly one more striker of greater quality than Kallon and Ventola then we will have a complete squad. And if Vieri, Ronaldo and Recoba all take the field on the first day of next season and can remain fit and healthy then I am optimistic about next season.

And lastly guys, do not forget the determination and strength that our beloved black and blues will gain from the anger and bitterness of wasting the chance of a 14th championship.

FORZA INTERNAZIONALE!

·
Registered
79 Posts
We threw away the championship on the last game. It is so painful for me that I don't know how long it will take me to recover from the dissapointment and despair. I was so convinced we would win this scudetto and to see us get trashed by Lazio like that was what I least expected to happen. I thought Inter would beat Lazio and finally win the scudetto after 13 long years of waiting and look what actually happened:(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts