Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been 10 years now since the tragic death of one of the most legendary rock legends in the world - Kurt Cobain.

Being only about 11 years old. I remember the hype and the excitement the Grundge Era gave the youth. After the heavy metal days of the 80's and the new wave of the 90's, Nirvana and Kurt Cobain led a movement. An Underground movement that later became big. There headquarters, Seattle, Washington...and the bands were phenomenal......

From Dickless, to the smashing pumpkings, to the Malvins and so on....

Kurt Cobain was the engine the the grunge movements. 10 Years ago today, Kurt took his own life.... And the grundge movement died out.

But Kurt's memory of his awsome acts and his albums will always be remembered. As i am already 20 today, i see an 11 year old child still wearing a Nirvana t-shirt and i say the legacy will always go on.

I miss you Kurt :(
Rest In Peace.....

Febuary 20th, 1967 - April 5th, 1994

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
That'll be the dead grunge scene which is churning out Puddle Of Mudds & Godsmacks & Creeds then? Dead? I wish.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cam said:
That'll be the dead grunge scene which is churning out Puddle Of Mudds & Godsmacks & Creeds then? Dead? I wish.

Right direction....wrong genre...

Puddle Of Mudd came out of the alternative scene...
Godsmack came out of the Grundge scene..yea....but that is 10 years ahead...

so its hard to say...really hard......
but Nirvana's legacy carries only..

only problem is, if you have a grundge band in the U.S..not many companies would sign u a record deal!

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
Yeah I remeber hearing the news when Kurt killed himself. I was about 13 or 14 and Nirvana were just everything......

Dug out the old Nirvana CD 's the other day coz I hadn't listened to them in a long while - just thought I'd see what they sound like a few more years down the line.... so here's what I thought.

Bleach - very raw, some great lyrical moments , some good riffs and a great pop song in About a Girl ..... but not an album I particularly enjoy.

Nevermind - I hate this record for one simple fact - the production - its so glossy its just disgusting. There's some very good songs on there that would sound unbelievable with the production on In Utero, but its just f****king ruined by that AOR sheen.

In Utero - frankly an amazing, remarkable album. Pure emotion expressed through some astonishing lyrics and riffs. Easily their best album.

Still not music I enjoy much anymore simply because it reminds me of my early teens , which I think for most people was a crap time :)

But anyway respect to Kurt. He had GREAT taste in music, and his punk DIY attitude was commendable.

·
THE
13,983 Posts
Good Lord, 10 years already?
I was older than you and I was crying my eyes out. Seriously. Still listening old tapes, can't buy new CDs since they are not in the Nirvana spirit.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I was like seven or something :D my elder sister listened to Nirvana at the time. she didn't exactly weep when he killed himself though... I still have the entire freaking collection of Nirvana tapes in my room. IN UTERO is my fave album too. I actually like Kurt Cobain :), the same way I did when I was in kindergarten.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
10 years I remember that the day after i went iceskating for the first time. It strikes me how long that has been. Man I'm getting old :eek:

My favourite album is also In Utero, but Polly is my favourite song. I think it's remarkable how good this songs have passed the test of time. 10 years later and it still is as the first time you hear them.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I was 15 when Kurt died...remember the day!
Coming home from school and got the shocking news!

On the same day 2 years ago, Layne Staley beloved frontman of one of the best bands ever(Alice in Chains) overdosed in his house in Seattle.
A wonderfull singer, songwriter and painter.
Fighting a heavy drug addiction it must have been a relief for him.
You'll never be forgotten bro!
See you on the other side

"Like the coldest winter chill
Heaven beside you...hell within
And you think you have it still
Heaven inside you..."

(R.I.P Layne Staley 1967-2002)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I love Nevermind. It's a great album. Like In Utero too. I don't know what the big deal is about Kurt Cobain though. He was an ok person I suppose, but for someone to say that they miss Kurt is a bit sad. You didn't even know the man. You miss the music that he could have written maybe???? That would sound ok. Fúck all the nirvana bs. They were a great band, but I don't wanna get their songs rammed down my ears every April for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I had a ticket to go an see them on the In Utero tour, which was postponed after he OD'd in Rome. I was really looking forward to it. Then he killed himself and it got cancelled. :(

Actually i felt a bit pissed off that he shot himself before I got to see that tour :groan:

gOD said:
Man I'm getting old :eek:

tell me about it :(

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
He is the guy who introduced me to the rock music. ;)

I wonder what Kurt will think about Courtney Love right now. She is just insane these days. :eek:

There was a conspiracy that Love has something to do with Kurt's death. I watched TV, and some guys published book about that.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
The thing is that Nirvana didn't influence me at all. I didn't have a clue who they were, I mean when I was 9 I was listen to either 70s punk, 70s rock (Deep Purple & Led Zep for example) & then errrr... Brit-pop. I hadn't a clue who Nirvana were until I went to secondary school where lots of the kids there had their t-shirts. But I got into AIC & Soundgarden before Nirvana, & since then I thought they were just boring in comparison.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Yeah I can relate to that a bit Cam. I only listened to the unplugged thing around that time. I didn't know anything about Nevermind til I picked it up a few years ago. It's good, but it's not as good as people say. That Soundgarden album with Superunknown(I think) is just as good if not better.

The thing is Nirvana broke first and they got all the praise. I find it annoying to see little fúcks goin around in the Nirvana shirts actually. I don't know why I just do.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
il_principe said:
I was 15 when Kurt died...remember the day!
Coming home from school and got the shocking news!

On the same day 2 years ago, Layne Staley beloved frontman of one of the best bands ever(Alice in Chains) overdosed in his house in Seattle.
A wonderfull singer, songwriter and painter.
Fighting a heavy drug addiction it must have been a relief for him.
You'll never be forgotten bro!
See you on the other side

"Like the coldest winter chill
Heaven beside you...hell within
And you think you have it still
Heaven inside you..."

(R.I.P Layne Staley 1967-2002)
I don't know if he would be like U2's Bono or if he would be again living under a bridge, but what he did was great. I could have listen better albums, but anything so touching as Nirvana's ones.

Layne is also in my heart. I don't know if rock is dead, but rock doesn't have people like Cobain or Staley with credibility.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Koeman4 said:
rock doesn't have people like Cobain or Staley with credibility.
what is rock? certainly your argument holds ground if we refer solely to the mainstream. but if you look and see, then there are equally (if not to a greater extent) emotionally stirring musicians out there who happen to be "rock"-ish and who happen to have a great deal of "credibility" as well

·
Registered
522 Posts
yeah, if we wanna look beyond the mainstream, sure there are loads of artistes with credibility, but for mainstream rock, you can hardly argue the fact that kurt and his music totally CHANGED the direction of mainstream rock (and to a good extent, music itself).....

And the fact they were huge for, what, only 3 years before kurt blew himself, is still an amazing feat by anyone, in any genre of music... The impact kurt and his music had on such a huge scale, in such a short period of time, that is not something to be laughed at.....

I was 16 when he died...... Those of you who have never been touched deeply by any single musician/music won't understand it... To me, the first chords of "smells like teen spirit" changed my life......

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Suicide rate in 1994 dramatically increased. Why do people worship him? I suppose that every female was in love with Kurt Cobain while every male wanted to be him.

The Unplugged session ('where did you sleep last night'?) blows me away every time.

RIP

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Steph! said:

The Unplugged session ('where did you sleep last night'?) blows me away every time.
It's a fantastic interpretation by Cobain.
Written or at least firt put on "record" by a Blues Musician called Leadbelly.

To me Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell, who i had the pleasure to see in concerts(Cornell even in Seattle 4 years ago) gave me more than Nirvana.
To bad i never got to see Alice in Chains.
Lyricalwise and also from the musical side.
Guitarists as Mike McCready, Stone Gossard, Kim Thayil, Jerry Cantrell have been influencal on a personal level in the last 10 years.

It's not that for instance Scott Stap or Mark Tremonti from Creed are bad, but they never touched my heart like the ones mentioned before.
Maybe they can help a "younger" generation to get into the good stuff from the early 90's though.
I doubt Stapp will have an impact to the teenagers today than Ed, Layne, Kurt and Cornell who are between 25 and 35 today.

Stone Temple Pilots, Sonic Youth and Screaming Trees were thrilling bands who gave me lots of power aswell when i was down for example.

Nowadays i listen to a lot of Led Zep, The Who, Hendrix, Neil Young etc. but the ones who got me into their stuff were the musicians from this amazingly creative late 80's/ early 90's.

All those side projects the boys had with eachother like Mad Season or Brad...Or the unforgettable Mother Love Bone from wich Pearl Jam formed later after Andy Wood overdosed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts