Xtratime Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow I cant believe La Septima is 10 years ago already, still seams to me like yesterday.

Where have you guys seen that game? Lets recover memories!!! :)

[tub]9Z5-rwEzOkI[/tub]

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
I did,RC takes a shoot,the defender blocks it and the balls loops forward and Pedja taps it in.Seedorf and Davids had a midfield battle at the Amsterdam Arena.

·
20,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seedorf and Davids had a midfield battle at the Amsterdam Arena.
i remember Seedorf seeing the second yellow before seing the first!!! The ref confused him with Davids! :drunk: I was in shock for a second! :eek:

·
20,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One final, one goal, an awakening... (I+II)

Mijatovic, Hierro and Sanchís reminisce ten years later

Laura Navas / Translation by Michael J. O'Donnell
What was it that made that Champions League title so special? The answer is simple: it was 32 years overdue. Three of the stars that won the final remember that unbelievable night.

HIERRO: The European Cup was our penidng task. It had become an obsession. The fans wanted us to win and we were tired of hearing about it.

MIJATOVIC: The team realised it had a chance when it qualified for the quarterfinals. After the game, Sanchís said to me, "This year we may be able to do something because we have the best striker in Europe." I agreed, thinking he meant Raúl.

SANCHÍS: I meant you, not the kid! We overcame the tipping of one of the goals at the Bernabéu during the semifinals and Redondo played a spectacular game.

HIERRO: We grew more confident as games went by. There was a generation of players on the team that knew that it could be their last chance to win the title. Excitement and ambition went hand-in-hand. We knew it was in our hands to win...

HIERRO: There's something that happened as we were preparing for the final that people learned about later on. Pedja had his socks all the way up during the last training session in Holland in order to cover a bandage he had due to a tear between the calf muscle and the soleus. Nobody noticed!

MIJATOVIC: I had to threaten our physiotherapist, Pedro Chueca, with killing him if he told anyone! He treated me for hours...

HIERRO: I had a sprain, but we forgot everything at the Amsterdam Arena. The adrenaline rush got rid of all our niggles and injuries. Our strenght grew that night before the game. Eighteen or 20 of us got together... Our unity was amazing. We couldn't sleep and we wanted to help each other with the tension we were feeling.

MIJATOVIC: President Fernando Sanz told me that night that I would score my first Champions League goal against Juventus and that it would give us the title. Coincidence? I don't know... Only our fans and the Club had faith in us.

SANCHÍS: Do you know when I realised we could win? In the dressing room, before we went out... Didn't you notice there was a special atmosphere there?

MIJATOVIC: We were very motivated, with that look we had... Winning was the only thing that counted for us...

SANCHÍS: I would have been scared of you lot if I hadn't known we were on the same team!

SANCHÍS: The final was rather curious. Juventus had three or four chances on goal in the first fifteen minutes.

HIERRO: They were really going for it, but cutting down Zidane allowed us to be more comfortable on the pitch and to have our own chances.

MIJATOVIC: Yes, Raúl had a chance, but he missed.

HIERRO: The match became more even after that.

MIJATOVIC: The game became very tight and intense.

HIERRO: Redondo took the reins in midfield and we began to feel more comfortable.

MIJATOVIC: You both had a great game. We could see our two centre backs being extremely confident as they guarded a two-meter tall keeper. "Juventus wouldn't be able to score against us even if we played for three days," we all thought.

SANCHÍS: We all played very well, but I think Fernando Hierro stepped up. He passed cum laude once again. He gave a magnificent performance.

MIJATOVIC: You all congratulated me for the goal, saying it had been spectacular, but I didn't think it had at the time.

SANCHÍS: You may not have scored 40 meters away from target or after overtaking five players... But you scored with 20 minutes to go to the end of a European Cup final after dribbling past a defender and lobbing the ball only slightly for another not to reach it in time.

MIJATOVIC: There are pictures that show Pesotto lying on the ground.

SANCHÍS: I think the Italians vetoed that still. I still have two fears when I look at those photos. The first is the fear of you not scoring... I still feel the same ten years later. The second fear is that the referee calls offside... But he didn't...

MIJATOVIC: That was the most important and most beautiful moment I lived as a professional player. That success preceeded all the rest: two Intercontinental Cups, another two European Cups, the Club's first European Super Cup... It all came after the 'Seventh.' We will never forget our trip from Barajas Airport to Cibeles on the roofless bus. The atmosphere on the streets and the balconies was amazing... The 'Seventh' marked us all.

realmadrid.com
http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satell.../One_final,_one_goal,_an_awakening..._(I).htm
http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satell...ne,_final,_one_goal,_an_awakening..._(II).htm

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
they sound really genuine when they say theyre a team. reminds of our current team when they talked about winning la liga this year and last year. just genuine passion to win. the 3 dry years we had you felt nothing from the players, many of them thought they had a God given right to lift any trophy they wanted at the end of the season.

i sense the same passion in this team. most of them are young and eager to please. even the signings we're making it's player with genuine talent, but havent won anything in their career (as big as CL and liga that is). i hope in the next 2 years we can win our 10th CL title, because this bunch of players can go places. they are as strong a unit as the team of la septima.

·
20,440 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
they sound really genuine when they say theyre a team. reminds of our current team when they talked about winning la liga this year and last year. just genuine passion to win. the 3 dry years we had you felt nothing from the players, many of them thought they had a God given right to lift any trophy they wanted at the end of the season.

i sense the same passion in this team. most of them are young and eager to please. even the signings we're making it's player with genuine talent, but havent won anything in their career (as big as CL and liga that is). i hope in the next 2 years we can win our 10th CL title, because this bunch of players can go places. they are as strong a unit as the team of la septima.
And one man is one key reason for that...the one who goes by the name of Raul. :angel:

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
I really recommend that you guys go see the video on the homepage of the official site now about our 8th in Paris.
Really brings a tear to the eye seeing Hierro, Carlos, Redondo, Sanchis, Moro, Macca and a young Raul+Iker celebrating like that.

·
Administrator
53,562 Posts
wow I cant believe La Septima is 10 years ago already, still seams to me like yesterday.

Where have you guys seen that game? Lets recover memories!!! :)

[tub]9Z5-rwEzOkI[/tub]
offside!:scream::frustrat::fero::nono:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts