Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new here, so sorry if this thread has been done before ad nueseam, but Im interested at people responces.

Its pretty self explanatory - a top 10 taking into acount tradition, fan base and achivment.

Heres mine!

1 Real Madrid
2 Manchester United
3 Barcalona
4 Juventus
5 Bayern Munich
6 A.C Milan
7 Celtic
8 Liverpool
9 Benfica
T Panathinikos

Anyone onbvious missing? Any Eastern European Clubs Ive orgotten that belong there? Is the list just a total load o crap?

:)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
barcelona
madrid
milan
juventus
liverpool
manchester utd
bayern
ajax
porto
benfica
not in order
but there are teams like galatasaray, panatinaikos, olympiakos, sporting etc that can be too but historycaly i think they are the 10 bigest clubs

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
If you're looking at it historically then Crvena Zvezda must be there but nowadays this would be my choice

1. Real Madrid
2. Man Utd
3. Juventus
4. Barcelona
5. Milan
6. Ajax
7. Roma
8. Liverpool
9. Cetic
10. Inter

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Mine would look like this:

Real Madrid
AC Milan
Juventus
Bayern Munich
Ajax
Barcelona
Rangers
Manchester United (much as I hate to admit)
Arsenal
Galatasaray

I'm sure there are others. :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
It depends if by "biggest" you're talking about the best teams who've won most honours, or the clubs with most money/fans/best stadiums, etc. And whether its currently the 'biggest' or 'historically!

For example Benfica. They have a huge stadium (it was 2nd biggest in Europe i think) that used to be filled and they are historically the second most successful club in Europe ever. But they are not so good now, and cant fill the stadium, dont have enough money (etc) so should they still be considered as one of the biggest?

For what its worth, here is a list of the biggest clubs in Europe (this was in the 'observer' newspaper last year, and i think this was the order - it was based on calculations using the average home crowd, season ticket sales, transfer fees, average travelling support, biggest tv audience, revenue from sales of shirts, overall turnover excluding tv rights etc)

1. Man U
2. Real Madrid
3. Barcelona
4. Juventus
5. Bayern Munich
6. Rangers
7. Lazio
8. Celtic
9. AC Milan
10. Chelsea

Obviously this is biased against certain teams, because they may not have been successful over the last 10 years as well as successful and big clubs having smaller stadiums etc

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hut Hut, I hope you don't really mean the 10th team that you are posting as one of the 10 best! Be serious!

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
On historical achievements:

1. Real Madrid
2. Liverpool
3. AC Milan
4. Ajax
5. Barcelona
6. Juventus
7. Man Utd
8. Bayern Munich
9. Inter Milan
10. Arsenal

Somewhere just after would be the likes of Celtic, Rangers, Olympiakos, Honved, Dinamo Moscow, Anderlecht, Borussia Dortmund, Lazio, Roma, Porto, Benfica, and Sporting Lisbon.

On current ability:

1. Real Madrid
2. Arsenal
3. Inter Milan
4. Bayern Munich
5. Juventus
6. Manchester United
7. Valencia
8. Dortmund
9. Barcelona
10. Deportivo La Coruna

Somwhere just after would be the likes of Roma, Liverpool, Leverkusen, Feyenoord, Celtic, Rangers, Porto, Chelsea, Leeds, Lazio, AC Milan, and Celta Vigo.

You can see how much I rate the French league... :D

·
Registered
966 Posts
Bastin said:
On historical achievements:

1. Real Madrid
2. Liverpool
3. AC Milan
4. Ajax
5. Barcelona
6. Juventus
7. Man Utd
8. Bayern Munich
9. Inter Milan
10. Arsenal
Sorry, but teams like Benfica or Nottingham have achieved more than Arsenal... oh, I see, you're an Arsenal fan;)

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Arsenal were undoubtedly the greatest club in the world for 20 years! From 1930 to 1950, no team could claim to be as good as Arsenal.

Nottingham Forest have achieved nothing. They've won the Old First Division just the once, but got lucky for two years in the European Cup.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
This looks about right for ability:

1. Real Madrid
2. Arsenal
3. Inter Milan
4. Juventus
5. Bayern Munich
6. Valencia
7. Manchester United
8. Deportivo La Coruna
9. Barcelona
10. Too many clubs tied for this spot

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Super Puyol said:
Lucky or not, they have 2 European Cups while Arsenal doesn't have any...:eek:
Except that we've won 2 European trohpies, reached the final of 3 others, and they've only ever reached 2 European finals. Now only that, but we were the unofficial European champions from 1929 until 1939, when the Paris Tournament was abandoned due to the outbreak of war. 10 years of being European champions is unmatched.

We've also won 8 FA Cups, which only Man Utd can beat, and 12 League Titles, which only Liverpool and Man Utd can beat.

·
Registered
516 Posts
In terms of European success the top ten should look something like this:

1. Real Madrid
2. Bayern Munich
3. Milan
4. Liverpool
5. Ajax
6. Juventus
7. Barcelona
8. Benfica
9. Inter
10. Man Utd

But for the top ten biggest clubs in Europe at the moment we just have to look at the G14 - the 14 clubs that have the most power. They are:

Manchester United
Liverpool
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Olympique Marseille
Paris St Germain
Ajax
PSV Eindhoven
FC Porto

·
Registered
966 Posts
lskydiver said:
But for the top ten biggest clubs in Europe at the moment we just have to look at the G14 - the 14 clubs that have the most power. They are:

Manchester United
Liverpool
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Olympique Marseille
Paris St Germain
Ajax
PSV Eindhoven
FC Porto
Yeah, but actually the G-14 list doesn't make sense if you look at it. For example, teams like Oporto or Marseille are much weaker than Valencia or Arsenal, for example, and they are in that list. So I don't care about this "G-14"

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Without doubt, Arsenal are the most influential club in England politically. We have the best negotiators (David Dein, Danny Fiszman, Peter Hill-Wood), we have the best squad (Double winners), we're a fashionable, traditional, London club (Therefore, friends in high places), and we have the second largest supporter base (After the glory supporters of Man Utd).

We are one of the most powerful clubs in Europe, as are Valencia, Leverkusen, Lazio and Roma, but we aren't in the G14. Frankly, the loss of Arsenal, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen, and the two Roman clubs, undermine the group entirely.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You can say Arsenal are very powerful but i think the clubs in Europe know more about how powerful each club is than us. If Arsenal were so big i'm sure they'd already be in the G group. The G group is expanding with about 10 more clubs so little clubs like Arsenal :tongue: might get a look in. And you can say you don't care about the G14 but it is the group with the biggest say in European football. If a European superleague was going to be formed it would be these clubs that would form it.

And i don't agree with your claims Bastin: "we're a fashionable, traditional, London club (Therefore, friends in high places), and we have the second largest supporter base (After the glory supporters of Man Utd)."

Chelsea might as well call themselves "a fashionable, traditional, London club " but that doesn't give them outright power. And i think Liverpool have a larger supporter base than Arsenal.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
We don't want to join!

We have more supporters in Britain than Liverpool!

We are a more successful and high-profile club than Chelsea!

·
Registered
46,842 Posts
The biggest teams are those who buy the best players every year. Then they can fail, but they will buy the players of those who win and so they will try again, if they lose again they will buy other players from the teams who won.... and so on.

From this point of view I think that the best teams in Europe are:

Real Madrid
Manchester Utd.
Juventus
Bayern (they are buying some players of Leverkusen...)
Inter
Arsenal
Barcelona
Milan
Liverpool
Roma

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Bastin said:

We are one of the most powerful clubs in Europe, as are Valencia, Leverkusen, Lazio and Roma, but we aren't in the G14. Frankly, the loss of Arsenal, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen, and the two Roman clubs, undermine the group entirely.
Leverkusen are doing well just now, but they are a pretty small club in terms of support....if it wasn't for the Bayer drugs company they would not achieve their current 'success' (they still haven't won anything mind you!)

As for G-14, Arsenal (and Rangers) applied to join in the past but have been refused entry, because they were not admitting new members. (the 'big' clubs in G-14 wanted them admitted, but the smaller ones didn't because they knew that would mean a loss of their influence and power)

Anyway I dont like G-14, its a cartel organisation just after $$$. Its nothing about football just greed....everything thats wrong with football these days :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts