Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure many of you guys noticed it before but when I saw the difference between home and away statistics I was very surprised. In fact Milan has 2 faces: at home we are spectacular, in 10 games we scored 26 times and conceeded 10 goals. We won 6 out of 10 games.
Away it's another story, we only scored 9 times in 9 games! But we only conceeded 2(!!!!) goals. We won 6 out of 9 games.

So my question is: how come we can't score more on away games? I mean away games are more difficult but we should have more space cuz small teams are more confident and attack more! Do you prefer the home Milan, losing sometimes (1x), or do you prefer our away Milan (unbeaten) which isn't boring but far less convincing an amazing but more effective?
Honestly I can't explain this difference, the line-up is the same. If we could play all the games with the same attitude and the same spirit we would become even better. That's the only negative point I can see in our way of playing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
Like Haroon would say, a mental block or problem. Hehehe....

Personally I am not much worried. As long as we get the 3 points I am not much concerned.

Good topic btw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,208 Posts
I raised this question when we drew away to Palermo. It is not our style that is suffering in the away matches. It is the finishing. Even though our finishing can be improved in the home matches but in the away games it is the finishing that is letting us down. We dominated Juve and made them look like they were the away side but our finishing let us down.

Personally I would prefer a balance in the home and away games. For me we have a balance in the home and away performances when it comes to gameplay. The difference is in the finishing right now and that needs to be fixed or else it will cost us in Europe.

Ancelotti's Milan side has not had a problem in the away games. During his reign we have been quite fantastic in the away games so it is far from a mental block as Sid said. :tongue: It is just the finishing and more concentration is required in the away games. That little more effort and concentration to nail the chances.

Our defence is more concentrated in the away games. Our offence needs to do the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,073 Posts
Haroon said:
During his reign we have been quite fantastic in the away games so it is far from a mental block as Sid said. :tongue: It is just the finishing and more concentration is required in the away games. That little more effort and concentration to nail the chances.
Oh well.... I suppose you are right as most of the time in your analysis. I can't say I can disagree on that. :D

Jokes apart, finishing has really left me frustrated this season. The amount of really goal scoring chances we creat every match is really incredible. But our finishing be it Kaka, Sheva or Crespo........:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if it is only about the finishing how does it always appear in away games cuz honestly we play 2 times better at home!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,208 Posts
il_capitano said:
Well if it is only about the finishing how does it always appear in away games cuz honestly we play 2 times better at home!
Home advantage, atmosphere and the amazing San Siro crowd are big factors. The San Siro is an intimidating stadium. We are suffering in the away games only this season and still managing to pull through. We only need one big away performance to get it all together. OT would be a good starting point. :devil: That and our performances against the top clubs has gone down to what it was previously.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
Our away record in the league this season:

3 wins of 1-0 against Cagliari, Chievo & Sampdoria

3 goalless draws against Brescia, Juve & Palermo

2 wins of 2-1 against Lazio & Parma

1 win of 2-0 against Bologna

We have not scored more than 2 goals away from home so far. Whether it's down to mental block, bad luck or poor finishing, we definitely need to improve on our away records, especially when we play 2 of our final 3 Serie A games away from home. And I have a feeling the scudetto will be decided on the final match day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,190 Posts
Haroon said:
I raised this question when we drew away to Palermo. It is not our style that is suffering in the away matches. It is the finishing. Even though our finishing can be improved in the home matches but in the away games it is the finishing that is letting us down. We dominated Juve and made them look like they were the away side but our finishing let us down.
.
Nah, it was the ref in that game. 4 outrageous calls that could, or most possibly would, have been 4 goals :stuckup:

All in all I agree though, finishing must be improved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
Haroon said:
Home advantage, atmosphere and the amazing San Siro crowd are big factors. The San Siro is an intimidating stadium. We are suffering in the away games only this season and still managing to pull through. We only need one big away performance to get it all together. OT would be a good starting point. :devil: That and our performances against the top clubs has gone down to what it was previously.

yes but on the other side the pitch in the san siro is miserably bad. that is generally a bad thing for technically gifted teams as ours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,208 Posts
acdc81 said:
yes but on the other side the pitch in the san siro is miserably bad. that is generally a bad thing for technically gifted teams as ours.
It is bad and will be solved next season IMO. However we still do manage to score a lot in the home games which is great. On the other hand it will be troublesome for other sides to come and play fluid football on that pitch as it is not the best surface to play on.

Finishing needs improvement. The amount of chances we create to the conversion rate is poor. Both in the home and away encounters however more concentration in the final third (away games) will go a long way (away games) to make us potent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,244 Posts
Because the team plays with a more careful approach to the game away from home.

And the stats certainly indicate a tactically well-founded style of play.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
17,146 Posts
It seems that some of you are a bit lunatic if you're expecting the team to go and blow the opponent away with 4-0 each time. I mean technically we could, as we do have the means, but it wouldn't be nice for the rest of the competition. So the ragazzi play it cool and get the result. Also, think about saving some energy for the more important ones....:stuckup:;)

All in all, I agree with Tyge. :thmbup:
Please do not bring that Juve game up any more as we convincingly showed and without the shadow of a doubt which was the better team and by faaaaar!:stuckup: Only the ref as usually saved the ass of la Vecchia Puttana...:groan:

Cheers.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
San Siro said:
It seems that some of you are a bit lunatic if you're expecting the team to go and blow the opponent away with 4-0 each time.
Sorry but that's not the point. I think that our attitude is the problem. I was in Turin against Juve and saw that we were dominating them but except Pirlo's chance we had very few opportunities! When we play away we dominate in ball possession but we are not agressive enough. It's all a a matter of attitude.
We cannot win every away game by 1-0 it's too risky, we have to improve in this domain.
I don't say it's easy but if we want to win a championship we have to!
I remember Milan winning a title with Milan only scoring about 35 goals! It was nice but with this squad we can do much more.
At the moment we are by far the strongest squad and it would be a waste not to win the title!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,190 Posts
il_capitano said:
Sorry but that's not the point. I think that our attitude is the problem. I was in Turin against Juve and saw that we were dominating them but except Pirlo's chance we had very few opportunities! When we play away we dominate in ball possession but we are not agressive enough. It's all a a matter of attitude.
We cannot win every away game by 1-0 it's too risky, we have to improve in this domain.
I don't say it's easy but if we want to win a championship we have to!
I remember Milan winning a title with Milan only scoring about 35 goals! It was nice but with this squad we can do much more.
At the moment we are by far the strongest squad and it would be a waste not to win the title!
Capitano :cool: in Torino we should have been awarded 2 penalties in the first 10 minutes. Sheva was called offside in front of Buffon for no reason, Kaka was stopped with a 3-2 player advantagw flying towards Buffon, Sheva hit a post, Pirlo missed by inches. All in all, we deserves winning atleast 3-0 if not indeed more :stuckup: Overall we have never suffered away from home, having played really well in Bologna and in Genova vs Samp, in Parma and vs Chievo we had 1 goal in each match disallowed eroneously. IMO the only bad game was played in Bergamo vs Atalanta. Hopefully we'll improve that "finishing" record :hopefull:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,410 Posts
Luck always plays a big part.

its a bit funny to see Milan finally becoming (I think for a moment) a normal team, i.e. a team better at home than a away. At least - more convincing. Palermo game was not so much different from Udinese, still it you could spot 8 diff with ease. And I think it is indeed the fans and San Siro atmosphere that might be the Big Answer to the question. V. Udinese with 0-1 down the guys were simply unstoppable and hungry to win and score. In Palermo it took them away to set in and thou we dominated, it wasn’t as clear. Home wins we play for much more than 3 pts - we play for 80 000 people watching. And that’s huge ... I just heard again PIppo's third goal v. Ajax in the dieing seconds ... The roar from the crowd sends shivers down my spine. It is just soooo amazingly powerful ... there is no way you can stay calm and relaxed, you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,208 Posts
bono said:
Luck always plays a big part.

its a bit funny to see Milan finally becoming (I think for a moment) a normal team, i.e. a team better at home than a away. At least - more convincing. Palermo game was not so much different from Udinese, still it you could spot 8 diff with ease. And I think it is indeed the fans and San Siro atmosphere that might be the Big Answer to the question. V. Udinese with 0-1 down the guys were simply unstoppable and hungry to win and score. In Palermo it took them away to set in and thou we dominated, it wasn’t as clear. Home wins we play for much more than 3 pts - we play for 80 000 people watching. And that’s huge ... I just heard again PIppo's third goal v. Ajax in the dieing seconds ... The roar from the crowd sends shivers down my spine. It is just soooo amazingly powerful ... there is no way you can stay calm and relaxed, you know.

I agree with that. The magic, power and sheer ferocity of the Devil's Den symbolizes what we as a club stand for. Red colour to signify the devil and black colour to striker FEAR into the hearts of opponents. :devil: Right now the Holy Shrine of world football is one of the most if not the most intimidating stadium to visit for any side.

The fiasco at La Riazor has left deep scars for Ancelotti's side. Therefore he as a coach and the squad don't want to go with a cavalier attitude and lose the plot altogether just to show their stuff. It is right in a way. The gung-ho approach cost us the UCL QF and a repetition of such a fiasco is not needed. The players and coach understand that as they felt the full brunt of it. For that very reason there is a little more caution and a settling down phase for the team in the away fixtures. It is for that very reason that our finishing needs to be spot on away from home so that we can relax a bit more and do our stuff on the pitch.

My only concern is that Milan scores a goal be it home or away. Once that goal goes in our team changes gears. It is evident in the gameplay and the movement. When we don't score it gets edgy.
 

·
1st Tier Poster
Joined
·
50,444 Posts
It doesn't really matter how many we score, as long as we're winning. And winning 6 of 9 away matches is not bad at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,477 Posts
Early goals is usually the difference between several goals and little goals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
I don't agree, it has happened several times where we struggle to get a shot on goal in the first half, and we end up winning by a large margin of goals. Can't think of any examples now, I'll look for them tomorrow.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top