Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
69,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DFB today released the fixtures for both first and second divisions: 2020-21 season: DFL publishes Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 fixture lists

League is set to start Friday, September 18 as champions Bayern Munich host Schalke. Dortmund open their season also at home to Gladbach. Newly promoted Stuttgart host Freiburg while Bielefeld go to Frankfurt

Sebastian Hoeness, related to Uli Hoeness is the new manager of Hoffenheim after a successful tenure with the Bayern youth team and second team

In terms of transfers it's still early days:
  • The big new is Bayern signing Leroy Sane from Man City
  • Dortmund have been busy, brining in Meunier on a free, signing Can permanently and signing talented young Englishman Bellingham, however they will almost certainly lose Sancho to the EPL
  • Leipzig have lost Timo Werner to Chelsea
  • Hertha one of the big early spenders signing Freiburg goalkeeper Schwolow and Dutch youngster Zeefuik from Groningen
  • Expect a firesale at Schalke

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Bayern absolutely hammered Schalke 04 8-0. Maybe it's already safe to predict a very long season for them.

·
Registered
69,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was a pathetic performance by Schalke and I think didn't help the image of the Bundesliga premiering on ESPN like that. Bremen look like they will still have problems and they face each other next week

Anyway here is a goofy quiz from ESPN about which BL club to support, the answer becomes obvious with some of these questions but I got Hertha :LOL: Plus its aimed at an American audience

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I am glad to see that ESPN+ picked up 1.Bundesliga and 2.Bundesliga for this season. I used to watch 1.Bundesliga when I lived overseas. Apparently, they are only showing a single weekly 2.match this season, but that is okay. I watched the 2-2 draw last night with VfL Bochum and St. Pauli. Better than watching BLM-obsessed MLS.

I suspect most USA "fans" will choose to support Bayern Munich for the obvious reason.

The Bundesliga certainly has been the better league for USA's best prospects. Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, and now Reyna, Sergeant, and so forth have done better than USA players in the EPL or Championship, Serie A or Primera Liga.

I took the quiz and got Hoffenheim. I'll stick with Stuttgart.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Freiburg for me.
Isn't Freiburg in the same part of Germany as Stuttgart? You know, never having been there, I know Germany like the back of my head.

Well, ESPN+ is advertsing the Bundesliga as "EVERY.SINGLE.MATCH", and then I see that Saturday's FC Mainz-VfB Stuttgart match is NOT on the ESPN+ schedule. Hahaha.

Jeffrey, you still follow the Japanese players, eh? I see where Ritsu Doan is playing for Arminia Bielefeld this season, on loan from PSV. Wonder why he couldn't nail down a starting spot at PSV.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
  • Hertha one of the big early spenders signing Freiburg goalkeeper Schwolow and Dutch youngster Zeefuik from Groningen,
Hertha has 5 Dutch players in their first squad now. Zeefuik and the two Rekik brothers. A midfielder and a striker, both of whom started out in England and never made those big-name squads. Too many Dutch youth have not broken through from those English academies/youth squads/loan spells and would have been better off playing in the Eredivisie a season or two.

·
Registered
42,849 Posts
Isn't Freiburg in the same part of Germany as Stuttgart? You know, never having been there, I know Germany like the back of my head.

Well, ESPN+ is advertsing the Bundesliga as "EVERY.SINGLE.MATCH", and then I see that Saturday's FC Mainz-VfB Stuttgart match is NOT on the ESPN+ schedule. Hahaha.

Jeffrey, you still follow the Japanese players, eh? I see where Ritsu Doan is playing for Arminia Bielefeld this season, on loan from PSV. Wonder why he couldn't nail down a starting spot at PSV.
Apparently after starting brightly for Groningen, he began to stagnate in his last few seasons.

He has a lot of potential so hopefully he can rekindle his career with Bielefeld.

Japan's real big star though is Takefusa Kubo. Did well with Mallorca and now on loan at Villarreal from Real Madrid.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Japan's real big star though is Takefusa Kubo. Did well with Mallorca and now on loan at Villarreal from Real Madrid.
I remember seeing Kubo play with Mallorca a couple of times. Good thing he moved to Villarreal since Mallorca are kind of a yo-yo club (up and down between leagues).

I am watching Hertha Berlin - Eintracht Frankfurt right now, 0-2 at the half. Frankfurt has two Japanese starters: Hasebe at CB and Kamada at the #10. Kamada assisted on the second goal, free kick in to Bas Dost who headed it in. German league has quite a few internationals from all over. Nice to see. For me, if I want to see the best American players (USAers), I watch Bundesliga, not EPL or MLS.

·
Registered
42,849 Posts
I remember seeing Kubo play with Mallorca a couple of times. Good thing he moved to Villarreal since Mallorca are kind of a yo-yo club (up and down between leagues).

I am watching Hertha Berlin - Eintracht Frankfurt right now, 0-2 at the half. Frankfurt has two Japanese starters: Hasebe at CB and Kamada at the #10. Kamada assisted on the second goal, free kick in to Bas Dost who headed it in. German league has quite a few internationals from all over. Nice to see. For me, if I want to see the best American players (USAers), I watch Bundesliga, not EPL or MLS.
I think Minamino when leaving Salzburg, instead of joining Liverpool, he should've gone to a decent Bundesliga club like Haaland did. He's mostly been a bench player except for Carabao Cup starts and late sub appearances in the league.

Kamada had a really successful season in Belgium with St. Truiden who I think have Japanese owners as there's been loads of players at that club the past few years. Tomiyasu another player coming through that club prior to joining Bologna.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Kamada had a really successful season in Belgium with St. Truiden who I think have Japanese owners as there's been loads of players at that club the past few years. Tomiyasu another player coming through that club prior to joining Bologna.
Wataru Endo had an excellent match with VfB Stuttgart today in their 1-4 away win at Mainz 05. The starting lineup had him in the center of a 3-man backline, but during the match he was clearly playing as the defensive midfielder and ball distributor. He isn't tall, but is sturdy enough and good at ball possession and tackling. This was VfB's first win away to Mainz since 2005.

·
Registered
42,849 Posts
Japan should have another solid team at the next WC. Tomiyasu, Endo, Kamada, Minamino, Kubo, H. Sakai etc. It's a shame Hasebe retired from the NT though.

·
Registered
69,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure if Wagner will stick around much longer, they are so uncompetitive under him

Dortmund were quite frankly bullied by Augsburg today who defended well. Though they got a bit lucky, although contact was minimal usually any contact to the face is a red as an Augsburg defender basically paint brushed Haaland lol

Good start to the season by Bielefeld

1 - 20 of 60 Posts