Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so somehow we got thru the group stage and are amongst 16 best teams in the world. I know its hard to believe but it is true...
Our opponets are Switzerland, who havent lost a single game yet and are the only world cup team that havent conceded a SINGLE GOAL!!! Impressive, huh?

What makes them even a biggger favorite is that we have liturally no defenders left :pp

Fedorov - our most experienced centre back and a leader at the back was injured right before the tournament began and had to be replace with an U-21 defender Yatsenko, who havent even debuted for the main team yet.
Rusol - another leading defender (centre back). The only player who hasnt missed a single game in the qualifyers and the scorer of our first ever world cup goal will miss the next game since he picked up 2 yellow cards.
Yezersky - our main right back got injured before the Saudi Arabia game and is doubtful for the Swiss game. Although Blokhin might play him unfit, since there's liturally no-one else.
Chyhrysnky - a backup centre back, who has done great in the U-21 tournamnet a month ago, but got injured before the WC began and will not feature in this tournament. There are rumours that he even left Germany prematurely to get treated in Ukraine.
Sviderky - a backup right back, who had to play in the last two games since Yezersky was injured. He'll miss the 1/8 final game thru suspension (2 yellow cards).

So now we have 3 defenders left:

Nesmachny - the only defender (left back) and probabbly the most inconsistant from our starting eleven that is left to the coaches disposal. But his pace is something that worries me a lot. He was losing his "battles" against the Spanish and Tunisian wigners. I dont count Saudis since they hardly pushed upfront.
Vaschuk - backup for Fedorov as a centre back. Very old and is unable to play against pacy forwards.
Yatsenko - as i already said he hasnt played a single game for the national team yet and is very unlikely to play i this tournament after he made 2 crucial mistakes in the U-21 tournament final where we lost 3:0 to the Netherlands. Blokhin was never gonna play him in the tourny, but now, i guess he has no choice, or does he?

Alternatives:

Husyn - this defensive midfielder can be brought back to play a central defender, but like Vaschuk his very old (the oldest in the team) and will bean easy pray for pacy strikers.
Husyev - This winger can be brought back to play as a right full back. He has done so in Dynamo Kyiv for some games last season. Since he is not a natural defender it could be dangerous to play him there... Also if you decide to go with Husyev, then you'd have to go with 4 defenders (with two old and slow centre defenders), since he would do a horrid job in a 3-man back.

It will be very very hard to predict what tactics/playes/line-up Blokhin will go with, but one thing for sure, our defence will be tested to the full on Monday evening.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Husiev as right defender,Vaschuk,ezersky,nesmachny

Timochuk and Shelaev as DM.

Alternative, bring Husin to the DM position,put Shelaev as central defender.

About Yatsenko,very,very unlikely!

Nevertheless,Switzerland....well for sure they are not Brazil,Germany,Argentina and so on,so a chance for Ukraine to get to the last 8!:eek: ,and i believe this might not happen again in next years.

Rusol, is a big blow his suspension.:thmbdown:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Roman said:
Ok, so somehow we got thru the group stage and are amongst 16 best teams in the world. I know its hard to believe but it is true...
Our opponets are Switzerland, who havent lost a single game yet and are the only world cup team that havent conceded a SINGLE GOAL!!! Impressive, huh?

What makes them even a biggger favorite is that we have liturally no defenders left :pp

Fedorov - our most experienced centre back and a leader at the back was injured right before the tournament began and had to be replace with an U-21 defender Yatsenko, who havent even debuted for the main team yet.
Rusol - another leading defender (centre back). The only player who hasnt missed a single game in the qualifyers and the scorer of our first ever world cup goal will miss the next game since he picked up 2 yellow cards.
Yezersky - our main right back got injured before the Saudi Arabia game and is doubtful for the Swiss game. Although Blokhin might play him unfit, since there's liturally no-one else.
Chyhrysnky - a backup centre back, who has done great in the U-21 tournamnet a month ago, but got injured before the WC began and will not feature in this tournament. There are rumours that he even left Germany prematurely to get treated in Ukraine.
Sviderky - a backup right back, who had to play in the last two games since Yezersky was injured. He'll miss the 1/8 final game thru suspension (2 yellow cards).

So now we have 3 defenders left:

Nesmachny - the only defender (left back) and probabbly the most inconsistant from our starting eleven that is left to the coaches disposal. But his pace is something that worries me a lot. He was losing his "battles" against the Spanish and Tunisian wigners. I dont count Saudis since they hardly pushed upfront.
Vaschuk - backup for Fedorov as a centre back. Very old and is unable to play against pacy forwards.
Yatsenko - as i already said he hasnt played a single game for the national team yet and is very unlikely to play i this tournament after he made 2 crucial mistakes in the U-21 tournament final where we lost 3:0 to the Netherlands. Blokhin was never gonna play him in the tourny, but now, i guess he has no choice, or does he?

Alternatives:

Husyn - this defensive midfielder can be brought back to play a central defender, but like Vaschuk his very old (the oldest in the team) and will bean easy pray for pacy strikers.
Husyev - This winger can be brought back to play as a right full back. He has done so in Dynamo Kyiv for some games last season. Since he is not a natural defender it could be dangerous to play him there... Also if you decide to go with Husyev, then you'd have to go with 4 defenders (with two old and slow centre defenders), since he would do a horrid job in a 3-man back.

It will be very very hard to predict what tactics/playes/line-up Blokhin will go with, but one thing for sure, our defence will be tested to the full on Monday evening.
Interesting analysis, Roman, though I must say that I disagree with some of it. First of all, the most experienced central defender is Vaschuk, not Fedorov (based on NT caps ;)), even though the latter would likely feature ahead of Vaschuk had he been fit. As for Chygrinsky, you are in fact correct that he has gone back to Donetsk to recover from his injury. I think Svidersky played very well in the last 2 games, and will surely be missed because of the suspension. Nesmachnuy on the other hand, is the most attacking out of our defenders (even ahead of Yezersky), and was in my opinion, the 2nd best man on the pitch for Ukraine (Voronin was first) because of his beautiful crosses, even though he was overshadowed by Trabelsi for most of the game. I think the best move to make in this situation would be to keep Husyn benched (he just looks so...pathetic and helpless out on the field), and play Husyev as a Right defender along with Nesmachnuy and Vaschuk. I would also played either Rotan or Nazarenko in the midfield instead of Husyev (and yes, stick to the 3-5-2)..

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Well I think that Rusol was our best defender in the last match. By far. Although he has some scary moments with a shoddy clearance here and there, or a slice of the ball out for a corner in the past; he does alot of good work, and made some crucial tackles and plays for my MOM vs. Tunisia. Nesmachny was my second. Voronin has just been unlucky not to score so far, he does soo much leg work!!! Shevchenko looks like our weaker partner alot of the time with his light jogging and easy loss of possession.:rollani: On the other hand, how many players can fake a penalty like he did.

But our defense will be lacking without Rusol and others I think. Frei has looked really up for it, and I think that we desperately need to score first. Switzerland can control the tempo soo well that if they go infront, I concede we dont have the creative talent nor the midfield in general (lets be honest) to assert ourselves properly against the organized Swiss. Although, I remember back in the day when we played in Spain during the Euro qualifiers, despite losing 2:1 our midfield looked amazing, and we do have some good moments, including this tournament and the qualifiers. - Ukraine to the Quater Finals!!!!!

I think the fact that despite playing poorly today and still winning, it could be a sign of a good team.:hopefull: Lets peak at the right time, and I will see Australia in the last 8:smileani:

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Rebrov said:
Well I think that Rusol was our best defender in the last match. By far. Although he has some scary moments with a shoddy clearance here and there, or a slice of the ball out for a corner in the past; he does alot of good work, and made some crucial tackles and plays for my MOM vs. Tunisia. Nesmachny was my second. Voronin has just been unlucky not to score so far, he does soo much leg work!!! Shevchenko looks like our weaker partner alot of the time with his light jogging and easy loss of possession.:rollani: On the other hand, how many players can fake a penalty like he did.

But our defense will be lacking without Rusol and others I think. Frei has looked really up for it, and I think that we desperately need to score first. Switzerland can control the tempo soo well that if they go infront, I concede we dont have the creative talent nor the midfield in general (lets be honest) to assert ourselves properly against the organized Swiss. Although, I remember back in the day when we played in Spain during the Euro qualifiers, despite losing 2:1 our midfield looked amazing, and we do have some good moments. Hopefully lightning strikes again - Ukraine to the Quater Finals!!!!!

I think the fact that despite playing poorly today and still winning, it could be a sign of a good team.:hopefull: Lets peak at the right time, and I will see Australia in the last 8:smileani:
And Portugal in the final!:pp :)

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
to be honest i found it surprising that roman says "somehow ukraine got through" according to the world many expect ukraine to be the surprise team of the world cup. yes big lost against spain but you played with 10 men and well tunesia and saudis are not that strong. I was sure ukraine will qualify, yeah surprises happen but the quality of saudis and tunesia football is not that good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Rebrov said:
Shevchenko looks like our weaker partner alot of the time with his light jogging and easy loss of possession.:rollani: On the other hand, how many players can fake a penalty like he did.
No, I happen to think Sheva tripped by accident and it was just a bad call by the Paraguyan ref (I'm not afraid to admit it). Shevchenko has looked atrocious in the WC, imo, and is lucky that Blokhin can't bench him (even though I think he should start as a sub because of his lack of effort in all 3 games) because it would spark outrage amongst the common fan.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
palffyfan said:
Hopefully, our boys don't forget to avenge Bussacca's refereeing by spanking his fellow countrymen...
I was just about to say that. In addition, it would be nice to get a revange for the Thun defeat :pp

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Roman said:
I was just about to say that. In addition, it would be nice to get a revange for the Thun defeat :pp
True.:rolleyes: :moan: :pp

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stephan said:
to be honest i found it surprising that roman says "somehow ukraine got through" according to the world many expect ukraine to be the surprise team of the world cup. yes big lost against spain but you played with 10 men and well tunesia and saudis are not that strong. I was sure ukraine will qualify, yeah surprises happen but the quality of saudis and tunesia football is not that good.
Well, even before the tournament I was saying that 1/8 is what I hope for. Anything better than that would be overachieving for me... Not saying i wouldnt enjoy it though :pp :angel: :thumbsup: But by "somehow" i meant, how many people really believed that we would go thru after the opening game disaster... The bookies had us at 8:3 (2.67) to win vs Saudi Arabia, while in the Tunisia game it was 6:4 (1.50). It really surprised me that the bookies believed in our win over Tunisia more than vs the Asians...

The manager has always been getting a stick for the way the team played sometimes: keeping the game at a very low tempo with long balls upfront hoping for a counterattack. But this tactic worked for us and i see nothing wrong with using it over and over. I mean the only game where we played short quick passes and uped the pace (our best qualifying performance) was ironically the only game we lost (we already got thru by that time and were able to experiment). It was a home game vs Turkey. After the game the public were convinced we could play attractive football but they also agreed that its better to play the way we usually do and get the desired result than play ala-Brazil and lose...:flirt:

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
btw, anyone know how serious is Senderos injury... From the look of it, he got a dislocated sholder in the Korea game...

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Yeah,he may not play Monday.

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
is it even a huge loss? against togo senderous made a lot of mistakes and i was surprised, after his arsenal season where he was good. i guess the last games when sol campell returned for arsenal had an affect.

T

·
0 Posts
Pleaseeeeeeeeee I hope he doesnt play....We need all the luck we can get...

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
True-Kozak said:
Pleaseeeeeeeeee I hope he doesnt play....We need all the luck we can get...
With Vaschuk playing you realy gone need luck!:pp

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stephan said:
is it even a huge loss? against togo senderous made a lot of mistakes and i was surprised, after his arsenal season where he was good. i guess the last games when sol campell returned for arsenal had an affect.
I've seen him today and in the last game and he was brilliant... Good strenght and can read the game well... But like with Arsenal he sometimes can make a blunder. But he's still Swiss best defender.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kleber said:
With Vaschuk playing you realy gone need luck!:pp
How I wish the guy had a game of his life and shut the faces of his critics (including my own). But realistically, the guy will certainly give away a bunch of moments :drunk: :cry:

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Roman said:
How I wish the guy had a game of his life and shut the faces of his critics (including my own). But realistically, the guy will certainly give away a bunch of moments :drunk: :cry:
Well put Shelaev and Ezersky as central defenders....:undecide: and husin and Timochuk as DM.

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
Roman said:
I've seen him today and in the last game and he was brilliant... Good strenght and can read the game well... But like with Arsenal he sometimes can make a blunder. But he's still Swiss best defender.
ln the last game, you mean togo? he really wasnt that good, as i sayd it surprised even me. i even remember the commentator saying senderous is having a bad day. he looked like witout head in some situations, chose wrong or risky option. didnt clear well, or just slammed the ball out of pitch for togo throw in, if he had all the time to pick out a player for whom to pass the ball.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts