Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
kleber said:
But since the ref gave you an unfair penalty in the last seconds maybe the italian federation will not have the guts to do that as Fifa can not go against ref decision,i believe.
Who knows :)

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/
With seconds left of a goalless match, Fabio Grosso challenged for a loose ball down the left wing with Marco Bresciano. Shoulder-charging his opponent to the floor with ease, Grosso rampaged into the area. There seemed little danger however, until Lucas Neill slid in idiotically to challenge

Five minutes into the second half, Bresciano broke down the left and was sandwiched by Materazzi and Gianluca Zambrotta. It was certainly a foul alright - Materazzi's clumsy challenge was late and two-footed - but it wasn't malicious and Fabio Cannavaro was covering. Inexplicably, however, Spanish referee L Medina Cantalejo brandished a straight red.

Would another searing injustice in a major tournament for Italy be on the cards, following the infamous machinations of an Ecuadorian referee against South Korea in 2002 ?

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
FIFA can overrule refs, but i doubt they will since the refs reputation in this tournament has certainly taken a big blow and if FIFA was to overrule it, it would undermine it even further IMHO...

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
btw, i might be in the minority, but I think the penalty should've been given there... Neil went down (for a challenge) way to early. He didnt get the ball and clearly was in Grosso's way... The fall was a bit theatrical, but it doesnt mean the penalty wasnt there...

The ref was very brave to give though... Very few would've done so...

·
Registered
684 Posts
If Neil deserved that penalty against him than Husin should have been given one against him for the tackle on streller on the '115 minute. The score would have been 1-0 to the swiss and we would be out. It is a 50/50 decision for the ref but i see no difference in both situations as they both went for the ball.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Odds for 1/4 Final Game: YKPAIHA - Italy

No surprise here as Italy have been installed favourites for this game:

Code:
Italy   8/13on
Draw (After 90min) 13/5
YKPAIHA 5/1
To qualify for the Semi Finals:

Code:
Italy   1/3on
YKPAIHA 9/4

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
saciuk said:
If Neil deserved that penalty against him than Husin should have been given one against him for the tackle on streller on the '115 minute. The score would have been 1-0 to the swiss and we would be out. It is a 50/50 decision for the ref but i see no difference in both situations as they both went for the ball.
115 minute? Was it when a Swiss player almost got thru one on one and when he had a clean shot for a sec, but then Husyn with his long legs made a match saving tackle? If yes, than it was definetely not a penalty - at least the challenge itself. I dont know about the shirt pulling, whetherit was there or not, but the tackle, or should i say block was clean.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hard to say... Rebrov hasnt been seen much when he came on, but Vorobei lost way too many balls making his runs or just holding the ball... I think no-one else on either teams lost so many balls, especially in the second half...
hard decision by Blokhin but since at least one of our full backs will be back (Svidersky from suspension) and if Yezersky recovers it will make it two - and an option, which we hardly had in this tournament. Anyway, one of them will surely play as right back and this will mean that Husyev will move to a wing (though i still think he's more effective in defense, as full backs get more space to run into, which he likes). In the spain game where he played a winger, he was closed down way to soon and had to be subbed off later on in the game due to his ineffectiveness.

A simple question to ur answer: I think netiher of them will start, but one of them will definetely play...

·
Registered
63,938 Posts
Italy are the heavy favourites because they match up well agaisnt Ukraine. The Swiss had a very tough defense but the Italians are top 3 defensively in the world and they have way more talent up front.

Gunna be very tough for Ukraine but you never know. Btw i was 99% right on my Switzerland-Ukraine prediction, onyl I had the Swiss winning on pk's not the Ukrainians :frustrat:

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Voronin injuried!

Voronin is injuried and will not play against Italy,he will be out between 10-14 days,so he might not play anymore on this world cup no matter what Ukraine do from now on.

I guess that Milevsky will play as starter.

Nevertheless this is a big blow for Ukraine since from now on,Shevchenko and Milevsky are the only attacking options.....apart from Belik.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts