Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cagliari set for Russia tie Thursday 23 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cagliari are hoping to win the race in a bid to host Italy’s next international match in the New Year.

The Azzurri face Russia in a friendly on February 9 and the Stadio Sant’Elia is a possible venue.

Talks between the city and the Italian Football Federation have already taken place and a decision is expected soon.

If Cagliari misses out, the Nazionale could face the Russians in either Catania or Cesena.

Meanwhile, Genoa or Milan will be handed the World Cup qualifier against Scotland on March 26.

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Genoa or Milan for Scotland. I would prefer the match to be in Genoa. Even if it is a British style stadium... I think 40,000 seats is more appropriate than 80,000 for Scotland.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
The Russia game is perfect for Arianna, now she can cheer against us even more! ;).

BTW Carson, I changed the 02/09 in the date to 09/02, cause I hate the way the Americans do it..

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Mikey said:
The Russia game is perfect for Arianna, now she can cheer against us even more! ;).
****... the play in Cagliari...never thought to play near my home so i could go to the game?:cry:
:wallbang:

it is just an useless friendly btw:depress:

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Mikey said:
BTW Carson, I changed the 02/09 in the date to 09/02, cause I hate the way the Americans do it..
I'm actually a wee bit more used to 02/09.. but whatever. :D

Scotland fans are crazy people.. have you seen how Celtic fans travel? They move almost the entire city with them.. so I think Milan would be a far better venue, although I personally would like to see the match hosted in Genoa. :star:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Whatever happens, I expect us to beat Scotland by at least 2 or 3 goals and for us to give a good account against Russia. With it being a friendly I expect only a draw or a narrow 1-0 win to either team.

·
Registered
67,034 Posts
i think we can do well if Italy doesn't come with their a game. hopefully Kerzhakov and Sytchev will "click" again.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Anyone know whether this match will be similar to the one v Finland or whether we do actually call up some of our big name players?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cagliari given Azzurri tie Wednesday 29 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy’s friendly match against Russia on February 9 will be played at Cagliari’s Stadio Sant’Elia.

The Italian Football Federation confirmed the news today, adding that the legendary Gigi Riva will be honoured before the game.

Riva, now an Azzurri official, was recently given honorary citizenship of Cagliari after an extraordinary career with the club in the 1960s and 70s.

The former striker, Italy’s record scorer with 35 goals in just 42 caps, led Cagliari to their only Scudetto in 1970.

channel4

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Lippi's choices:

Portieri: Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Udinese);

Difensori: Barzagli (Palermo), Bonera (Parma), Cannavaro (Juventus), Chiellini (Fiorentina), Nesta (Milan), Materazzi (Inter), Zaccardo (Palermo), Pancaro (Milan);

Centrocampisti: Barone (Palermo), Blasi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Diana (Sampdoria), Esposito (Cagliari), Gattuso (Milan), Pirlo (Milan);

Attaccanti: Cassano (Roma), Gilardino (Parma), Montella (Roma), Totti (Roma), Vieri (Inter).

Will you still support Russia Arianna?! ;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Cassetti not in -Lippi breaking a promise he made on TV -he should be in for Zaccardo ...no surprise though he plays for Zeman's Lecce

Pancaro :rolleyes: in for Parisi..... shows Lippi's sheer stupidity

Falcone should be in for Materazzi- what an embarassment

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Chiellini (who has been crap like all Viola defenders) is called up and Miccoli (the only in form Viola player) isn't. Excuse me?? And why is Marchionni ignored again?

R

·
0 Posts
ROME, Feb 6 (Reuters) - AS Roma striker Antonio Cassano has withdrawn from Italy's 22-man squad for a friendly against Russia in Cagliari on Wednesday just hours after being recalled to the side.

The 22-year-old, who earlier played for the full 90 minutes of Roma's 1-1 draw with Bologna, withdrew from the squad with a knee injury a few hours after receiving his first call-up from national coach Marcello Lippi for the match.

The 22-year-old, who has a reputation for being difficult to manage, had failed to add to his previous six caps for the Azzurri since Lippi replaced Giovanni Trapattoni as coach shortly after Euro 2004.

Lippi said earlier this week that Cassano could provide the "stroke of genius" to spearhead Italy's challenge at next year's World Cup in Germany.

Inter Milan striker Christian Vieiri was recalled to the squad after he continued his recent good form by scoring his 100th Serie A goal in Inter's 2-2 draw with Parma on Sunday.

Italy lead European Group Five on nine points, two ahead of Norway, while Russia are third in Group Three on seven points, six behind leaders Portugal, in their bids to qualify for the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Udinese)

Defenders: Giorgio Chiellini (Fiorentina), Fabio Cannavaro (Inter Milan), Marco Materazzi (Inter Milan), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan), Giuseppe Pancaro (AC Milan), Andrea Barzagli (Palermo), Cristian Zaccardo (Palermo), Daniele Bonera (Parma)

Midfielders: Mauro Esposito (Cagliari), Manuele Blasi (Juventus), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan), Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan), Simone Barone (Palermo), Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma), Aimo Diana (Sampdoria)

Strikers: Christian Vieri (Inter Milan), Alberto Gilardino (Parma), Vincenzo Montella (AS Roma), Francesco Totti (AS Roma)

1 - 20 of 108 Posts