Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serie A duo to face Italy Saturday 27 March, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manuel Rui Costa and Fernando Couto are among the Portuguese players picked for Wednesday’s friendly match against Italy.

The Milan star and Lazio defender will be part of the side picked by Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari for this important pre-Euro 2004 test.

The Azzurri will also be able to get a taste of the atmosphere, as the match will be played in Braga.

Other familiar faces in the line-up include ex-Fiorentina hitman Nuno Gomes, who scored against Inter for Benfica in Thursday’s UEFA Cup tie, and former Lazio winger Sergio Conceicao.

Portugal squad:

Goalkeepers: Ricardo Pereira (Sporting Lisbon), Quim Silva (Braga)

Defenders: Miguel Monteiro (Benfica), Jorge Andrade (Deportivo La Coruna), Fernando Couto (Lazio), Beto Severo (Sporting Lisbon), Rui Jorge (Sporting Lisbon), Nuno Valente (Porto), Paulo Ferreira (Porto), Ricardo Carvalho (Porto)

Midfielders: Rui Costa (Milan), Luis Figo (Real Madrid), Armando Petit (Benfica), Francisco Costinha (Porto), Deco (Porto), Tiago Mendes (Benfica)

Forwards: Simao Sabrosa (Benfica), Luis Boa Morte (Fulham), Pauleta (Paris Saint Germain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Nuno Gomes (Benfica), Helder Postiga (Tottenham)

channel4

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
o_bEnFiQuIsTa said:
Where is the game?
Braga's new stadium.

We SERIOUSLY need to drop Couto. I'm tired of him.

Also-It's always funny how newspapers from other countries always put half the midfielders as forwards.

·
Registered
50 Posts
here's my line-up......whats your opinion??

-----------------Ricardo--------------------

-----Miguel - Andrade - Carvahlo - Valante-----

-------------Costinha---Petit---------------

--------------------Tiago-------------------

Ronaldo--------------------------------Simao

-------------------Pauleta-----------------

- im sick and tired of couto, figo, rui jorge, rui costa, nuno gomes
they are getting too old.
- i don't care what anybody says Miguel is better than P. Fereira

by the way...does anyone have any good Portuguese SuperLiga sites in english, where i can check stats, standings, fixtures, teams etc.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cassano skips Portugal test Sunday 28 March, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio Cassano will miss Wednesday¡¯s friendly game against Portugal with an injury, but Christian Vieri is part of the squad.

Giovanni Trapattoni has named the players who will make the trip to Braga for this international test.

Cassano limped off during today¡¯s 2-1 defeat to Bologna as the Roma man is suffering from a knee problem.

Vieri skipped the Reggina match entirely, but the Inter striker is hoping to be fit enough to feature midweek.

Alessandro Del Piero, Alessandro Nesta and Fabio Cannavaro are also out injured, but Roma goalkeeper Ivan Pelizzoli earns a surprise call-up as Gianluigi Buffon¡¯s understudy.

Bologna winger Carlo Nervo is included in the forwards, so Trap could give him a more advanced role in the 4-2-3-1 system.

The match will kick off at 20.45 UK time at the Alfonso Henriques Stadium in Guimaraes de Braga.

Gk: Buffon, Pelizzoli

D: Adani, Birindelli, Castellini, Favalli, Ferrari, Oddo, Pancaro, Panucci

M: Camoranesi, Fiore, Gattuso, Perrotta, Pirlo, Zanetti

F: Corradi, Di Vaio, Miccoli, Nervo, Totti, Vieri

channel4

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Nuno Gomes is old? He's 25/26!

My team:

--------------------Ricardo--------------------

Miguel - J. Andrade - R. Carvalho - Nuno Valente

-------------Costinha-------Petit---------------

--------------- Rui Costa-------------------

Figo--------------------------------Simão

-------------------Pauleta-----------------

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I'm expecting to see Gomes or Postiga start beside Pauleta...

Also on benny's post...

Ferreira is hands down better than Miguel in a lot of aspects. Ferreira has the certain confidence and mentality that help win tournaments (won't go any lower by mentioning the team Miguel plays for and their cup run as of late), which quite simply, Miguel CAN'T bring to the team.

On Figo: he might be old but he's practically carried the team in some games. The only problem he's had would be his shooting accuracy.

On Rui Costa: no arguement there, but I don't know how Tiago and Deco will get along with each other in midfield next to each other.

Every other comment I agree with.

On English Sites: Psoccer.com/uefa.com have results/fixtures/standings.

My Lineup:

--------------------Ricardo--------------------

Ferreira--Carvalho-----Andrade--Valente

----------------------Petit----------------------

-------------------Rui Costa-------------------

Luis Figo-----------------------------Ronaldo

---------------Postiga-Pauleta--------------

It'd also be good to have Ferreira and Valente push up into more of a Cafu/Roberto Carlos role. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Valente would be able to do as well at this as Ferreira.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Psoccer.com is your best bet for updated info in english. The guy does an excellent job. He posts news articles from several different sites, both in english and portuguese, and puts them all on one convenient list. He also links important portuguese news sites, team sites, etc.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Trap calls in Natali Monday 29 March, 2004

Giovanni Trapattoni has added new boy Cesare Natali and Massimo Ambrosini to the Italy squad because of injuries.

The Bologna central defender gets his first call up after Parma’s Marcello Castellini withdrew from Wednesday’s friendly in Portugal.

Natali, who has impressed for the Rossoblu since his move from Atalanta, has previously featured at Under-21 level.

Milan ace Ambrosini has also been drafted in after Cristiano Zanetti was ruled out. The Inter midfielder is suffering with muscle problems.

You can watch the game thanks to British Eurosport’s coverage at 21.30 on Wednesday 31 March.

Meanwhile, there have also been some changes to the Under-21 squad on the eve of Tuesday’s friendly against Portugal.

Giandomenico Mesto, Daniele Bonera and Alessandro Gamberini will not take part in the test because of injury.

Boss Claudio Gentile has drafted in the Parma duo of Alessandro Rosina and Alessandro Potenza.

channel4

===============

match review from soccerage...

http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/u1610.html

===============

International Friendly Prediction: Portugal - Italy
Portugal - Italy | Latest News | News Archive

Vieri should cause some problems for Portugal's defence (Getty Images)
03/30/2004. Italy have dominated this rivalry but Portugal will be a tough nut to crack at home. Italy are not at full strength, which means Portugal should bag a goal at some point. But the Italians will likely score first.

Prediction: Portugal 1:1 Italy
Daniel Fernandes

soccerage

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Pauleta just came dead close to a goal, had a nice move, almost Cristiano ronaldo like before having the go, superb!

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
PS: There was a goal before I started watching by...

Amazingly...

NUNO ****ING VALENTE!

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Simao and Figo are playing well.

Pirlo's been giving trouble to our defence so far.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ugly game
the players of the game are boa morte , ricardo , couto , rui costa and nuno gomes GREAT PLAYERS

Postiga to the U21 Tiago was ok a good sub for the euro

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
In the first half Portugal was better, but in the second when you started bringin´ in the subs, things changed!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure Valente would be able to do as well at this as Ferreira.
Nice goal by him, but what other candidates you have for this position if Boa Morte had to be played there, you´re much better on the right side with P. Ferreira and Miguel!

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
NEO said:
In the first half Portugal was better, but in the second when you started bringin´ in the subs, things changed!

Nice goal by him, but what other candidates you have for this position if Boa Morte had to be played there, you´re much better on the right side with P. Ferreira and Miguel!
Boa Morte didn't play DL yesterday. My candidate would be to EITHER
1. Put Miguel there, since I've heard he's able to play there.
OR
2. Put Miguelito(U-21 NT) there, have only heard good things about the kid.

But I do blame Italy's winning goal on Miguel, he should've got the ball, no doubt about it.

The only reason we couldn't draw was because we couldn't man-mark. Italy got good possession of the ball because they were open, and they had us running for the ball. And often times they got 2 of our players to leave man-marking positions to chase the ball. A game of Portugal vs. Italy is simply a game of Midfield vs. Defence, and in most cases, defence will win.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Antony said:
ugly game
the players of the game are boa morte , ricardo , couto , rui costa and nuno gomes GREAT PLAYERS

Postiga to the U21 Tiago was ok a good sub for the euro
I think Figo and Simao played pretty well in the game. We had a problem with Rui and his want to score a goal. I feel bad for Pauleta how he didn't score a goal yesterday is unbelievable.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:
Boa Morte didn't play DL yesterday. My candidate would be to EITHER
1. Put Miguel there, since I've heard he's able to play there.
OR
2. Put Miguelito(U-21 NT) there, have only heard good things about the kid.

But I do blame Italy's winning goal on Miguel, he should've got the ball, no doubt about it.

The only reason we couldn't draw was because we couldn't man-mark. Italy got good possession of the ball because they were open, and they had us running for the ball. And often times they got 2 of our players to leave man-marking positions to chase the ball. A game of Portugal vs. Italy is simply a game of Midfield vs. Defence, and in most cases, defence will win.
Bwahahahahahahahahaha:D

Miguel wasn't even in the game when Italy scored their 2nd.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Boa Morte didn't play DL yesterday.
If DL means leftback, he did and was totally played off position. Guess Valente is the best choice there (some of you may disagree).
This was also first time I saw Tiago play and was impressed (although this couldn´t be his best performance). Would welcome him Valencia with open arms if we didn´t already have Baraja, Albelda and Sissoko! One thing I want to know about him is if he could succesfully play in Rui´s position?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Pila said:
Bwahahahahahahahahaha:D

Miguel wasn't even in the game when Italy scored their 2nd.
I meant Boa Morte, sometimes I get the pretos confused.

Now, go get a new hobby.

"If DL means leftback, he did and was totally played off position. Guess Valente is the best choice there (some of you may disagree).
This was also first time I saw Tiago play and was impressed (although this couldn´t be his best performance). Would welcome him Valencia with open arms if we didn´t already have Baraja, Albelda and Sissoko! One thing I want to know about him is if he could succesfully play in Rui´s position?"
Maybe he played off position because he was playing left midfield..."

Valente is the best choice, but I just think he gets too pissed when he can't stop an opposing player.

Tiago played alright, but I think his two games against Inter were much better.

Tiago usually plays a little more back from where Rui plays, he's usually a strict MC, but he ventures in the playmaker spot often, so he could probably adapt well there. He's not meant to play on the left. But I don't recall him playing on the left yesterday. Simao was on the left wing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts