Xtratime Community banner
481 - 500 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
44,626 Posts
Tosno-Spartak 2-2

Spartak was winning by 2 with 5 min to go with tosno playing with ten players since the 35 min!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Petkovic can you imagine is even worst than eschenko!!!!

Well R.I.P Spartak carrera,what happen today has no excuse.

New coach tomorow,spartak still can qualify for europe,top 5 finnish;finnish the cl group in third and try to win the cup,that's all.Carrera is finnish after today.

·
inbred amoeba
4,410 Posts
A long overdue goal by Ze Luis, to keep Spartak alive for the final game in Liverpool :excited:

Zobnin in for the RB for a second consecutive game. I hope its not his new position (second or even third choice RB)...

·
inbred amoeba
4,410 Posts
... And here we go... A draw which obviously sends Spartak to Europa League playoffs bar a miraculous epic fail by Sevilla in their last two games...

Ze Luis with several massive chokes in front of Maribor's goal in the second half.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 ·
Given the position the club was in about 2 months ago Carrera has to be given some credit for steadying the ship. Clearly this squad are experiencing competing on multiple fronts at the same time in a long time. However, this is not to excuse what happened yesterday against Maribor. It's this mentality that will eventually be the breaking point. If Spartak can overcome that, then maybe they'll kick on in the second half of the season. Given they were 9-10 points back of Zenit about a month and a half ago and now they're only five I would say that's progress.

In addition, when was the last time Spartak made the European spring knockout round, in any competition? It was in 2010/11. That's a long time ago. In my opinion, making the Europa League round of 32 is progress, given how sensitive Spartak have been in Europe. It's an improvement; yes, it's not the final 16 of the Champions League but it still signals progress in my eyes.

The same Spartak of 3-4 years ago would have lost away to Krasnodar and other away arenas but after a sluggish start Carrera has found a way to bring life back into this squad. Given the amount of remaining fixtures the game against Zenit will truly test this squad as well as Carrera. We were humiliated by Zenit at the beginning of the season 5-1 but Zenit have hit a couple of bumps in the road while Spartak have picked themselves up since then.

Somehow, I don't see Lokomotiv going the distance and I really think the main threats for the title are Zenit and CSKA. As such, this upcoming game against Zenit is huge because with a victory at home the difference would be two points, very close to the winter break.

Overall, given how we started the season, I would say this would be an excellent way to rebound and bring positive energy before the second half of the season commences in mid-February, assuming we're in the Europa League round of 32. This team is growing and I have faith that they will find another gear when needed. No team can play 100% well the entire season. It's how you rebound in tough moments that really shows your character. The Zenit match should tell us where the club is at the moment; will we roll over and concede the title or will the players show some fight and come back to ensure a fighting end to the season?

As an addition side comment, I must say I'm impressed by how "well" the Russian sides are doing in Europe this season. Zenit is top of their group, CSKA might make the final 16 of the Champions League, we'll be in knock out round of the Europa League and Lokomotiv should get to the knockout round of the Europa League if they show the same fight in their last two group stage matches as they have in the league. With the exception of Krasnodar (who my beloved Red Star Belgrade beat) Russia can finally be a bit more proud in Europe.

·
Registered
44,626 Posts
Great game Spartak-zenit...deserve win for spartak,3-1

Marakana i think lokomotiv can do the same as spartak last season winning the title where few people believe it in the beginning of the season.

Now with two rounds before the winter break they are six points ahead of zenit,seven points ahead of cska and 8 points ahead of spartak.

Loko plays rubin who is the flop this season at home and tosno away,they can win both games.Zenit plays away at grozny in the last game;spartak and cska will play eachother.
Than is 10 games to play in 2018......

Add Corluka and Ari will return in march will be a great upgrade for them.

·
Registered
44,626 Posts
Liverpool-Spartak 7-0

worst defeat by a russian side in europe.

equals spartsk worst defeat ever,they lost in the moscow region league 7-0 in 1924.

·
Registered
44,626 Posts
Spartak-Cska 3-0

spartak could have won it by 5 or 6.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 ·
As I said earlier, great consolidation by Carrera after a poor start given the European commitment. Given the money spent by Zenit there is a personal level of satisfaction for me that we're tied for second with them. Mancini is not deserving of his role and I honestly think if the season continued right now their slide would continue as that is how Mancini's teams tend to be. This is especially true since he left City.

8 points to Loko is no small margin but given there are 3 months between now and the finish to the season I won't put it past Lokomotiv to choke. The only reason I say that is because the break is so long that sometimes that amount of time kills the current chemistry a team has. We've seen it on so many occasions in the Russian league. I think we'll see the title race finish or come alive in the first match day back on March 4th when Lokomotiv host Spartak in a proper derby. If Spartak wins, the title race is wide open and Loko feels the pressure. If Loko wins, they're one foot in the title jacuzzi.

I understand the rivalry between all clubs and Spartak, but a neutral must say what Carrera has done in his 18 months at the club is seriously impressive. Won the title in his first season, and now led the club to the final 32 of the Europa league and tied for 2nd after a tough start to the season. Carrera has made something else relatively consistent and that is playing against the big clubs in Russia to win... the Spartak teams of the past decade would often go missing in big matches but excluding the 5-1 demolition in St. Petersburg at the beginning of the season Spartak has played relatively well against CSKA, Zenit, and Loko since Carrera took over which you need in a tight title race.

·
Registered
44,626 Posts
Sad for dzikhya.

·
inbred amoeba
4,410 Posts
Napoli agreed to let Nikola Maximovic to Spartak on a 4-month loan. He is expected to play in the center of defense as Dzikhya is definitely out for for the rest of the season.

·
inbred amoeba
4,410 Posts
AM Sofiane Hanni signs a 3.5-year contract with Spartak. Sport-Express reports a 6 mio EUR transfer fee paid to Anderlecht. He is eligible for the UEFA EL eliminations, and has been included in the squad.

In other news, Carrera considers playing Kutepov and new boy Maximovic as CD. I wonder if it could turn into an even bigger disaster than the CD pairs pre-Jhykhia.

·
Zeko lopove...
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #499 ·
It will be a testing time for Maksimovic to quickly adapt to Russian football. He has the quality as he has been the best Serbian center back during the World Cup qualifiers and only the form of Kouliabaly and Raul Albiol were keeping him out of the Napoli line up.

His one weakness is probably distribution, but he is still better than many center backs in the Italian league in my opinion. If he can be patient and play without pressure I think he'll end up playing really well for Spartak. The only question is who partners him in the center of defense? Will it be Kutepov or someone else?

Also, I haven't watched much of Hanni, but should be interesting to see how he does considering he is a player in his prime. The first leg of the Europe League Round of 32 clash against Athletic Bilbao is coming up in 9 days and I wonder who Carrera has in mind for his starting 11.

Reactions: Beaux Balkans

·
inbred amoeba
4,410 Posts
My wild guess would be:

Selihov

Eshenko Maksimovic Kutepov Tigiev

Samedov Glushakov Fernando Hanni

Promes

Ze (Rocha)

481 - 500 of 521 Posts