Xtratime Community

Xtratime Community (https://www.xtratime.org/forum/)
-   Premiership, English Cups & National team (https://www.xtratime.org/forum/21-premiership-english-cups-national-team/)
-   -   Where's the next English football "maverick" (https://www.xtratime.org/forum/21-premiership-english-cups-national-team/385050-wheres-next-english-football-maverick.html)

jimbo jones April 23rd, 2015 09:51

Where's the next English football "maverick"

78 Attachment(s)
Down the years this country has produced some great footballing talent, players often worshipped by their clubs, and often treated with suspicion by the rest of the country.

Players like Stan Bowles, Alan Hudson, Rodney Marsh, Peter Osgood and Charlie George :proud: from the 70's, then on to players like Hoddle, Barnes and Gascoigne. The last one I would say there was, would be Matt Le Tissier.

Where is the next one? Or does British football not appear to have room for these players anymore?

Steel Neil April 23rd, 2015 11:32

Wish Derby had a player like Charlie George these days.

The Green One April 23rd, 2015 19:54

Sadly they get that kind of thing coached out of them. I suppose Lee Trundle was the last one :D

Wally April 23rd, 2015 20:00

Marc: Josh McEachran :D

I thought Adam Johnson was going to be the next Arjen Robben. Now he's at Sunderland and might get locked up.

Andy Christ April 23rd, 2015 20:16

Sterling seemed to have a bit of magic in him, seems this is getting "coached out" too.

jimbo jones April 23rd, 2015 20:21

78 Attachment(s)
Yeah, to much emphasis on being a team player for these types of players it seems. I find it quite sad.

I really thought Adam Johnson was going to be a great player at one time.

Whatever happened to Josh McEachran? Was a great player to sign on FIFA if you was a championship team a few years ago :D

Steel Neil April 23rd, 2015 22:06

McEachran has gone the same way as every Chelsea academy player of the last 20 years. Down a black hole.

Rob April 23rd, 2015 22:56

1 Attachment(s)
Ravel morrison is what happens to that kind of player these days.

Wally April 23rd, 2015 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel Neil (Post 17952698)
McEachran has gone the same way as every Chelsea academy player of the last 20 years. Down a black hole.

Yeah, Ake, Bruma, Jody Morris etc

Ryan Bertrand is fortunate he got picked up by Southampton though. Had a decent season.

As for Josh, benchwarmer on loan at Vitesse Arnhem. Might get to see him in 2 weeks time when they face Feyenoord at de Kuip.

The Green One April 23rd, 2015 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 17953138)
Ravel morrison is what happens to that kind of player these days.

Yeah, nothing to do with him being a little thug who threatened a witness or told his girlfriend he'd throw acid in her face.

jimbo jones April 24th, 2015 04:51

78 Attachment(s)
So, if we do produce this type of player, there more likely to end up in prison, than on a football pitch :D

Steel Neil April 24th, 2015 07:18

Probably time McEachran found a himself a home, rather than go out on loans here there and everywhere.

The Green One April 25th, 2015 00:46

That Will Hughes fella could be the next maverick :finger:

jimbo jones April 25th, 2015 05:01

78 Attachment(s)
He wouldn't end up in prison either, thoroughly nice chap is our Will :D

Steel Neil April 25th, 2015 07:15

Hughes is another example of a player being shackled by responsibility for the team. The amount of times he gets played as a defensive midfielder so he can't go out ns fully express himself has become a disappointment to me. A player like him needs the shackles taking off and just be allowed to do his thing.

jimbo jones May 1st, 2015 16:50

78 Attachment(s)
Thinking about it Tom Ince is more of a "maverick". Gets criticised for not working hard enough, and chasing back etc but has great talent on the ball, needs to progress that ability he's shown in the championship, into the premier league though.

The Green One May 1st, 2015 22:27

He's not loveable enough. I blame his dad

jimbo jones May 2nd, 2015 04:52

78 Attachment(s)
He becomes more loveable when he's scoring goals for your team though. Especially when the rest of said team are playing like a bunch of useless *****...

The Green One May 2nd, 2015 11:42

Ah but a maverick is loved by neutrals, Tom Ince certainly is not.

Steel Neil May 2nd, 2015 12:11

He wasn't very popular when we signed him on loan, is there something he's done, or is he just seen as a bit of a unlikeable character?