AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS
SOUTH AFRICA 2013

FINAL

Sunday, 10 February 2013
Soccer City Stadium, Johannesburg, 19:30 CET

NIGERIA vs BURKINA FASO

See less See more
#2 ·
Burkina Faso have appealed the Pitroipa red card and decision will be made by CAF on Friday. The referee in the Burkina Faso - Ghana game has been suspended but the red card will only be overturned if the Tunisian referee admits he made a mistake in his match report

#4 ·
Yea, can someone update me on whether or not Burkina Faso have actually played so good that they've gotten here or have they gotten some lucky match-ups and some calls to go their way? I haven't really been following the tournament much but I would like to see the final.

#5 ·
I only saw one of their group stage games, funny enough against Nigeria, and their two knockout stage matches and I liked them. They play fast attacking football and that guy Pitroipa is a really good player, Too bad they have a useless finisher in Bancé.

Still, as I said before, Nigeria is a much more complete team that's why I feel they will end up winning it.

#6 ·
Burkina Faso played better in the knockout stage than they did in the group stage. They were quite lucky to get a draw against Nigeria. Easily beat Ethiopia and then held Zambia to a scoreless draw to advance as group winners. They totally deserved to beat Ghana in the semi's, even before the penalty kicks

#7 ·
Africa Nations Cup 2013: Burkina Faso's Pitroipa cleared to play in final
in BBC Football

Burkina Faso's Jonathan Pitroipa has been cleared to play in the Africa Cup of Nations final against Nigeria on Sunday after his ban was rescinded.

Referee Slim Jdidi admitted that he mistakenly issued the winger with a second yellow card for simulation in the semi-final against Ghana.
The Confederation of African Football (Caf) confirmed on Friday that the resulting ban would be overturned.

Jdidi has already been suspended for his performance in the semi-final.

A senior Caf official told Reuters: "The referee wrote the letter to the review committee saying he had made a mistake.

"The review committee examined footage of the incident and agreed Pitroipa had been fouled.

"It asked the disciplinary committee to verify its decision, which [it] is entitled to do under the terms of Caf's rules and regulations."

Burkina Faso media officer Gabriel Nacoulma welcomed Caf's ruling ahead of the showpiece decider.

"We are all very happy with the decision, he is a very important player for us," Nacoulma told BBC Sport.

"We are very motivated to win. We have no injury concerns for the final."
The Stallions will play in their first Cup of Nations final, while Nigeria are seeking their third continental title.

Pitroipa, who plays for French side Rennes, will be a key player in Paul Put's side, who are missing top scorer Alain Traore.

Striker Traore scored three goals in the group stage but suffered a thigh injury in the final group game against Zambia.

Pitroipa was shown a second yellow card in the final minutes of extra-time against Ghana by Tunisian official Jdidi, earning a caution for simulation even though John Boye appeared to trip the Burkinabe inside his own area.

Shortly after the match, which Burkina Faso won after a dramatic penalty shoot-out, officials from the West African nation made an official protest about the referee's performance to African football's ruling body.

Caf President Issa Hayatou admitted earlier on Friday that refereeing mistakes had been made at the tournament.

"Overall we are satisfied but we experienced some mistakes with the referees especially at the semi-final between Ghana and Burkina Faso, and there were other errors too at the Tunisia v Togo [group] match," he said.

Caf Secretary-General Hicham El Amrani, meanwhile, told a news conference in Johannesburg on Thursday that his body was unhappy with the standard of officiating in the Nelspruit semi-final.

Jdidi infuriated Burkina Faso when not only sending off Pitroipa after he had seemingly won a penalty but also awarding Ghana a debatable spot-kick themselves, before disallowing a legitimate-looking Stallions goal.
"We would have expected a better standard," El Amrani said.

Already missing the injured Traore for the first Nations Cup final in the Stallions' history, the absence of key man Pitroipa, who scored the match-winner in Sunday's quarter-final win over Togo, would have been another major blow for the Burkinabe.

Prior to these finals, the Stallions had failed to win a match at the Nations Cup on foreign soil, having reached the semi-finals when hosting in 1998, but they now stand on the verge of their greatest triumph.

-----------------------------------------------

Well done CAF :thmbup:

#9 ·
The final is about to start and here are the line-ups:

NIGERIA
Enyeama
Ambrose - Oboabona - Omeruo - Elderson
Onazi
Obi Mikel - Mba
Victor Moses - Uche - Ideye

BURKINA FASO
Diakité
Panadétiguiri - P Koulibaly - B Koné - Koffi
Kaboré - D Koné
Nakoulma ------- Rouamba
Pitroipa - Bancé

#18 ·
Even Messi would applaud that goal. I was sitting down watching and it made me stand up.

Never heard of this Mba fella before the tournament started. Koffi was really owned there.

I think Nigeria has merited being in the lead.

Too bad I'll miss the 2nd half as Inter's match will start in a bit.

#22 ·
Some comical defending by the Burkinabé almost gifted the second to Nigeria and in fact looking at the replay it should have been a penalty.

#26 ·
I watched the game at the Embassy of Burkina Faso here in Ottawa. :D There were about 60 people who showed up and they showed the match on giant screen in the basement, broadcasted by Télé-Congo.

Unfortunately for everyone there, Burkina Faso lost and I would say they played a rather poor match. Nigeria could've punished them and won 3-0, if not more. Burkina Faso had only one real scoring chance coming from Sanou, but it missed the net. They controlled possession and had plenty of corner kicks but they wasted all of them. Pitroipa could not do everything by himself.

Aristide Bancé was terrible and missed every one of his shots, either 3 metres over or 10 metres beside the goal.

#28 ·
Congrats - enjoyed the goal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.