Xtratime Community banner

What do you consider to be the most valuable skill in football?

• Dribbling

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Passing

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Heading

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Shooting

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Heading

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vision

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Off-The-Ball Positioning

Votes: 1 4.5%

Most Valuable Skill In Football

852 views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Alexandre 
#1 ·
what do you think is the most valuable skill in football and why?

#2 ·
Passing is the key element for a team to play well. Without this you dont have much in terms of a team.

The skill I most admire though is dribbling, whether it's a player running halfway down the pitch with the ball at his feet, or someone out tricking a player to get the ball around him.
Passing is the most important though.

#3 ·
Vision.

Without vision, it doesn't matter how well you can pass, shot, dribble or anything. A player without the ability to "read" the game is pretty much useless whether it's a GK, defender, midfielder or attacker. :)

Who cares if you can run fast if you don't know where to run and when? ;)

Btw: Rod, love the afro. :D

#4 ·
I voted for passing because vision and on-field intelligence were not choices (but then again they are not really skills, but traits).

Passing also reflects on how good a team is, and how well the players can cooperate. A good passer is much more important then a good dribbler imo. Because he can get others involved in the game.

#5 ·
for me it has to be passing. if you can pass well you can make the others easier, with the exception of tackling. you need to tackle well to get possession, and then once in possession if you can pass well you don't need to dribble as much and you can make shooting opportunites easier.

it's often said that dribbling is innate and is not a skill that is easily learnt. however, if you are lucky enough to have this skill you can turn a game on it's head. passing is more of a team skill, whereas the others are individual. it really depends on your personality, the situation and the ability of the team as a whole.

i love to dribble and shoot, but at the end of the day if it's a close situation there's nothing more entertaining and motivating than playing in a team that can out-pass their opposition.

#6 ·
Jacob said:
Vision.

Without vision, it doesn't matter how well you can pass, shot, dribble or anything. A player without the ability to "read" the game is pretty much useless whether it's a GK, defender, midfielder or attacker. :)

Who cares if you can run fast if you don't know where to run and when? ;)

Btw: Rod, love the afro. :D

What Jacob said. :)

vision it is.

#15 ·
I think a crucial element was left out of the list and that is off-the-ball positioning. I think it's extremely important not only for the player involved but also because a good player always manages to open up spaces for his teammates even when he doesn't have the ball.

#16 ·
man_an said:
I think a crucial element was left out of the list and that is off-the-ball positioning. I think it's extremely important not only for the player involved but also because a good player always manages to open up spaces for his teammates even when he doesn't have the ball.
sorted:)

#17 ·
Though positioning is very important, especially for strikers, I think dribbling and shooting are more important. A player like Hakan Sukur can get into fine positions, but he cannot finish well at all.

On the other hand, even if a forward can't find good positions, with excellent dribbling, he will be able to create positions for himself.

#18 ·
I think Vision is the most important skill. Some excellent teams can have a bad day due to lack of vision on that particular day. Without vision your other skills are useless. Vision is not only important in soccer but most other sports too. I played Badminton for Zimbabwe in Under 19 level and some days I wouldnt play my best just due to the lack of vision :(.

#19 ·
I think dribbling may be the most overrated skill. Some players fall in love with the dribble (much like kids playing basketball) and they don't do anything but d*ck around with the ball (see Denilson).

Passing and vision are interconnected, imo. If you can see the pass and make it, then you can dominate the game. It ties the team together. I think they are the most important components. You can't really have one without the other and be effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.