First time coach! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2012, 19:53 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Albania NT, Parma
First time coach!

Hey people of xtratime. I've just recently began my career as a coach for a u15 team. They're pretty decent. Technically they're great but tactically they're so fvckin lost.

Anyway I need help/tips on different stuff. There are some things I've decided not to do: not emphasize too much on the physical aspect of the game. Meaning, no (pointless) running without the ball during my hours. Obviously they need stamina and such but I want to train them using the ball so so far I've included the ball in practically every drill I've made.

These 4 months I'm going to learn them 2 things, and 2 things only: PASSING and PRESSURING!!! So I need help on how I can train them those things the best way? Any help is appreciated

I don't have a sig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2012, 21:56
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

Hi Minotti,

Tell me your philosophy, formation, etc and I'll give you anything useful I have, which should be alot.

Tony.

buve - the shit on the heel of Italian football.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

Sent from my Computer using a keyboard.

Irish commentator during 94 WC - 'The Baggio brothers, are of course, not related.'
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2012, 14:49 Thread Starter
Legend

Well, my team will be an attacking based team that will play to dominate the possession. I've placed alot of importance to passing, pressure and movement.

Ideally, I will look to have a 3-6-1 formation but right now I cant do that cause I fear our defence will leak goals and aren't as sharp as they need to be. So I'm going for the 4-3-3 formation. Basically alot like last years barca. I want to overwhelm the midfield with ball-playing midfielders. But I need help in how to develope them into pressing and stuff.

Now, I've bought a book and reading alot of stuff about practising but as I've said earlier: I'm having a hard time getting tips on how to work with players stamina using the ball. Most stuff I read is about making players run like horses.

Much appreciated Tony!

I don't have a sig.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2012, 14:58
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

Regardless of formation, there is a lot you can do to progress from pressing in 1 v 1 situations, work it into 2 v 2, up to 3/4 then into actual game situations.

Closing down, delaying, positioning etc.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2012, 17:45
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

Small tip for now as I don't have much time is to play small games of 2v2, 3v3 for short times like 2-3 mins, with small rests. Ask players to give max in these games.

Skipping ropes would be good for footwork and stamina, but fitness for possession based teams of a good level is less important is they hold more possession than most teams. It's a gradual curve.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

Irish commentator during 94 WC - 'The Baggio brothers, are of course, not related.'
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2012, 19:08
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

Continous focus on keep ball games like 5v2 - focus on moving the ball, moving yourself in areas of 12*12. As they progress make the grid smaller, and add conditions like 2 touch or any touch from def means they are out of middle, also reward att for nutmegging def, meaning def misses a turn to get out, and they also focus on body shape too. All about MOVEMENT.

Next progression is about specific support movements, by playing 3v1, ensuring that player with ball has an option left and right side, ensuring that att DON'T stand behind the def. Play in area of 10*10. SPECIFIC MOVEMENT IN A TRIANGLE.

After this you then work on 4v2, again with passing options on left and right, but now players have the added possibility of the killer pass splitting the def. SPECIFIC MOVEMENT IN A DIAMOND.

After this you can play a SSG using 4v4 or 5v5 with keepers. If you divide the area using an X shape so you've got 4 triangles intersecting in middle, you can then put an emphasis not just on shape, but moving into another grid after passing to recieve the ball, so players are in constant movement, but the movement isn't shapeless.

These of course take time.
Most important for these games is to STAY CALM.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2012, 20:40 Thread Starter
Legend

Thanks alot Tony!! Very great tips. The problem right now is also the teams morale. It is pretty low cause last year they had a coach who they disliked alot and it seems as if they lack motivation and belief. It's getting better but I can see how damaged they are. They often show very little enthusiasm as if they don't believe in football. It's a shame cause they're actually great in so many things.

I don't have a sig.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2012, 21:35
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

Keep on praising the small things they do well, but don't over do it as they are not stupid. Another coach taught of a game called the Outrageous game where goals and points were scored based on players doing crazy, not dangerous moves, etc. They might also doubt their own intelligence so you need to guide them with your questions, but not preach to them. Amy more questions, just ask.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:48 Thread Starter
Legend

Today is my first game with the team. It's a friendly though and alot of players are new and some of my important players are sick/injured.

Will be fun either way!

I don't have a sig.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:19
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

Good luck!

Start slow with regard to tactical instruction, try and pick a few main focuses and reinforce it to them (i.e., you want to emphasise passing and pressing, so those two are a good start .. I would personally ask the goalkeeper to always play the ball out short to his LB/RB seeing as nothing rides on the result). As it goes, these matches are the foundation you'll lay for the season ahead, and if you can get the small things working now then you'll reap the benefits.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2012, 23:16
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
How did you guys do Minotti? Hopefully well?

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2012, 18:09 Thread Starter
Legend

Update;

My first game was a disaster. We lost something like 14-0 or something. But there were alot of things that were off. I had called up 17 players but due to late injuries/disease only 11(!) showed up and no goalkeeper. Besides that, I decided to try out 4 new players who had only trained with us once and they all were played out of their position. However, we were not as bad as the numbers suggest even though one might think so.

There were some things that I was pleased with. For instance, my team was far better at passing the ball, playing their way out of trouble and movement. We could also play in alot more tighter spaces where we had once, 3 players outplaying 5 through passing in a triangle.

Anyway, today we had our second game which we won 3-2 and could've won with numbers like 6-2. I was very happy cause I think this was a major morale boost to the players. The tactics were better this time but we still need to sharpen up the movement.

My next quest is to make the team have more of the possession and become more patient in the build up.

I have this player who is very similiar to messi. He is short, left-footed and extremly talented. He is also from Argentina. . Watching him play is like sex. Plus he really is humble and I'm trying to bring out the best of his game. He scored one today and had an assist. He set up more but they lost the opportunities.

I don't have a sig.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2012, 07:09
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
How is this going? I'd love to become a coach too at some point!

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in