How to start a youth football team - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2007, 08:37 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: Atletico Madrid, Chelsea
How to start a youth football team

Hi guys,

I am trying to startup a football team for kids ( 10 year olds and less). I have been trying to get some information on the internet but I still need a few pointers more especially on the coaching side. I am trying to get a guy who has never coached before, never played any form of "coached" football and was not even a good player to do the job. Can you kind people point me to some valuable coaching material I can get. Downloadable free vidoes if possible.

- what is the best age to get kids involved. 7 years?
- What kind of (foot)balls are suitable for kids. Do they just use regular balls which are used by adults or is there a size suitable for kids.

Thanks in advance guys and I hope this is the right forum for this kind of things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2007, 09:52
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcio100
I am trying to get a guy who has never coached before, never played any form of "coached" football and was not even a good player to do the job. Can you kind people point me to some valuable coaching material I can get. Downloadable free vidoes if possible.
This guy's right up your street.

Quote:
- what is the best age to get kids involved. 7 years?
- What kind of (foot)balls are suitable for kids. Do they just use regular balls which are used by adults or is there a size suitable for kids.
Small footballs, small pitches. No use putting them 11 vs 11 on a full size pitch hoofing it about. Practising basic skills, refining technique, and with anything regarding kids of this age: have fun.

By the way this thread looks better set for the On The Pitch forum.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2007, 11:57
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Oranje | AFC Ajax | Barça
I agree with Rodriguez. Some basic kicking and passing over a smaller distance, practicing 1-2's, free kicks and shots on target is more than enough for those youngsters. I've trained kids that age too and it's all about fun really. Maybe you could teach them the very basics of man marking but that's it really. There's no use in trying anything more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez
By the way this thread looks better set for the On The Pitch forum.
True. Thread moved.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2007, 12:25
Star Player

Quote:
The standard size is size 5. For kids under ten size 3 would probably be a good way to go.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2007, 19:50
Star Player

I can imagine you complementing a kid by saying :

"you are very underrated" p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in