Annoyed - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2006, 22:20 Thread Starter
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal
Annoyed

I wanna play football again. but few months ago i strained my ligaments and tendons for the second time in that ankle...this time it seems to be taking longer to heal...compared to the first time i did it about 6 years ago.

I can run on it, I can kick a ball. but after bout 10 mins of doing this i feel shattered and my ankle starts to hurt - i know i should be resting s such.

i have actually vowed not to play footy again but i dont think ill be able to stick to it, im sick of my tendons n ligaments getting strained. id litterly only just got recovered from my other ankle...which i strained tendons in...

such annoying

my biggest fear is if i play in a game wether it be just a muck about is doing my ankles in again, and cause after each strain theyre getting weaker soon before long one will rip?

hence the vow / announcement of retiring lol (im 20) im not going anywhere big...but i love playing football

I have no map to find my way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2006, 22:29
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
Maybe there is something you can do, jawz. I had trouble with my ankle (nothing as serious as an operation, but I kept twisting it) and I went to a chiropractor who set up this training for me, various ways to exercise the ankle. I don't know how effective that is, cause I didn't really stick to it, but it would be a shame to never play again.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2007, 19:57 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

i played twice since this post, ankles ache really bad afterwards but due to lack of fitness i usually end up dying.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2007, 22:12
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
You are too young to retire but as annoying as it can be sometimes you can't do otherwise. I had to retire 7 years ago (wow, time is flying!) and even if my heart cries every time I see my teams playing I have accepted the fact that I will never play again. In the end everyone retires sooner or later...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 10:12
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

Haven't played in a while. Not retired, just put my knowledge to better use - coaching. Have you tried coaching Jawz?

buve - the shit on the heel of Italian football.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

Sent from my Computer using a keyboard.

Irish commentator during 94 WC - 'The Baggio brothers, are of course, not related.'
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 10:15
Rising Star

Teams: ac milan, nk istra
how do u find a team to coach? u start with a kids team or?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 10:33
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

JawZ, with proper strapping you can do a good patch-up job of most joint injuries.

Basically by strapping, you're going to restrict the movement of the ankle to a desired level. You prevent it from twisting to the extremes, so you won't hit those points that cause more pain.

That said, don't take my lead and consistantly play injured, that's a big no-no, and the type of thing only an idiot like me would do. But used as a preventative measure, it's effective.

There's several strapping methods for each joint, but for ankle I'd recommend what PhysioRoom.com called the "figure 8":
http://www.physioroom.com/prevention...technique3.php

I can strap my own shattered ankle much better with this method than any professional physiotherapist ever did for me before a match with other methods.

Also, you'll want to try some strengthening methods as well. In the long term, strapping will have a negative effect on the joint should you choose to give it up one day. You'll injure playing without strapping easier down the track, so use it preventatively now whilst you perform strengthening exercises/stretches as well.

Zahovic, look up your local football federation and look into coaching courses. It's different in all countries, so you may be able to go for a professional course without undertaking junior courses first (as it is in Australia, albeit more expensive). Though I'd recommend the youth courses, as they're more technical based and less tactically based than senior level courses. They give you a few things worth knowing, even if most of it is recycled bullshit.

And even if it is recycled bullshit, you'll be best advised to take the bait and agree 110%. Coaching, unfortunetly, isn't an education where thinking outside the box is rewarded when it comes to courses. What matters more is following their advice to the dime, and past experiences as a player.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 12:38
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahovic
how do u find a team to coach? u start with a kids team or?
Basically, you just volunteer for a youths team. I started coaching the senior team I played for, then assisted at youth level, before taking over another youth team. But you do need to get some qualifications.

buve - the shit on the heel of Italian football.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

Sent from my Computer using a keyboard.

Irish commentator during 94 WC - 'The Baggio brothers, are of course, not related.'
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2008, 06:19 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

my right ankle altho only messed up once - appears to ache more than the left which has had two but not played football with ppl in over a year. i play football with my dog in the garden. ive taught her how to head the ball

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in