Working on first touch. - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 00:51 Thread Starter
Turn my Fash on
International

Working on first touch.

Can anyone offer any exercises or training regimen that will help me improve my first touch? I find it is often the one part of my game that could use significant improvement. Obviously being able to juggle helps a lot, but I'm looking for more specific training exercises. Any advice?

“My principles are only those that, before the French Revolution, every well-born person considered sane and normal.”
― Julius Evola

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 01:59
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Throw a ball high in the air and control it with your foot when it comes down.

Quite simple.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 02:37 Thread Starter
Turn my Fash on
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
Throw a ball high in the air and control it with your foot when it comes down.

Quite simple.

“My principles are only those that, before the French Revolution, every well-born person considered sane and normal.”
― Julius Evola

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 02:38 Thread Starter
Turn my Fash on
International

No offense but your reply is synonymous to someone asking for dating advice and you telling them to grab the first woman he sees by the hair and dragging her to his cave.

Quite simple.

― Julius Evola

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 02:42
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiNL
No offense but your reply is synonymous to someone asking for dating advice and you telling them to grab the first woman he sees by the hair and dragging her to his cave.
and what's wrong with that?

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 02:59
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Quote:
and what's wrong with that?
this young people don't respect old proven tactics

Quote:
Can anyone offer any exercises or training regimen that will help me improve my first touch? I find it is often the one part of my game that could use significant improvement. Obviously being able to juggle helps a lot, but I'm looking for more specific training exercises. Any advice?
what about borning again and in South America? hehe, that will bother you so much haha...nah for real Remi, you can always practice with both legs striking the ball against a wall..one with the left..one with the right, always aiming some area of that wall, and increasing the speed gradually..from time to time stop that ball trying to literalilly kill it right beside your foot...and on others hit it hard to elvate it and control teh rebound...is mechanical, but you will adquire in time a good use of both feet in one touch passing, and even shooting.

Of course the best way? is just making one twos with some lad in the park, and way more fun, but the striking against the ball is as old as football, and many pros should use it more.

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 03:25 Thread Starter
Turn my Fash on
International

Thanks Fangio, I am definitly going to do more drills with the wall. Although it is sometimes tough to kill balls that come in high effectively. Of course I realize that is where juggling comes into play. It's just frustrating when I ruin a good pass my way, especially since I know my dribbling skills could create opportunities. I guess I am just trying to play the ball on too much instead of focusing on just killing it and then moving.

― Julius Evola

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 06:42
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
Yeah the wall is a good solution to work alone. But better find 2 friends and work your one touch passing while constantly moving/running. You will have to work on your ball control while receiving the ball from the first one and in the "same time" have a look in what direction the third one is already running. You will work your vision of the game aswell.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 08:17
Legend

Quote:
Yeah the wall is a good solution to work alone. But better find 2 friends and work your one touch passing while constantly moving/running. You will have to work on your ball control while receiving the ball from the first one and in the "same time" have a look in what direction the third one is already running. You will work your vision of the game aswell.
...or? the old and fun "Loco"...

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 08:34
World Class Player

Heres my thoughts.

You could:-

a) do keepy ups, as much as it is just to keep the ball off the ground, a lot of it depends on your first touch as well, if your first touch is crap you will not be able to keep the ball in the air

b) kicking the ball against a wall and controlling it then kicking it on the wall again, obviously speeding up the process accordingly

c) kicking he ball in the air then controlling it is another option

d) getting a friend to offer you long passes from a variety of angles and speeds

Good luck
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 12:24
Legend

Teams: Hajduk Split
the best way imo is to play a game we call zrenda here. i don't know whats it called in eglish so i'll just explain. i am sure you'll know what i am talking about
find a couple of friends and place form a circle everybody except for one who is in a circle. the guys that form the circle have to pass each other ball but they can touch it only once and the one in a middle has to interecept the ball. when he does that he goes out of circle and the guy who's ball was intercepted goes in the middle and the whole thing starts over again
quite effective and fun

Never forget
Never forgive
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 12:34
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
don't forget to play competitvely though, five a sides and stuff, it's amazing how many guys look like they have the first touch of Bergkamp in friendly games, then when some hairy assed madman is marking them on a Saturday they suddenly resemble Emile Heskey on acid.

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 14:11
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Start with a bag of cement and slowly work your way towards a more bouncy object, eventually towards a football.

Alternatively you could buy a heavier ball like a joga bonita one, or use a tennis ball. The smaller the ball you practice with, the easier it is to use a big ball. I owe my footballing technique to the fact that I played with a tennis ball for 5 years every day at school because we weren't allowed footballs.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 16:43
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Team MutOofd
Quote:

Quite simple.
So why don't you use Wiel Coerver's method, Dutchie?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2006, 02:30
Legend

Quote:
the best way imo is to play a game we call zrenda here. i don't know whats it called in eglish so i'll just explain. i am sure you'll know what i am talking about
find a couple of friends and place form a circle everybody except for one who is in a circle. the guys that form the circle have to pass each other ball but they can touch it only once and the one in a middle has to interecept the ball. when he does that he goes out of circle and the guy who's ball was intercepted goes in the middle and the whole thing starts over again
quite effective and fun

that is "el loco", but has many variantions (play it only with first touch, with two touches, otr even allowing dribbling) never played it with that circle, is usually, more freely here. And the fun is to nutmeg the "loco" so he stays another turn (he stays one more turn everytime his nutmegged)...for instance playing a Loco with Aguero, Messi RG and Robinho? you stay there for a lifetime

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2006, 02:54
Abz
African WC haha
International

Teams: The Arsenal
You support Spurs

No ammount of training will get you a first touch p

Aaron Ramsey
Gotta love the Utd fans, one min hes Keane and Gerrard put together, soon as they find out hes not signing for them hes shite and they dont need him

Malcolm X

"You cant separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom"

NEVER FORGET THAT A LIFE IS A LIFE NO MATTER WHERE !!

yes this is for you lap dogs
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2006, 03:32 Thread Starter
Turn my Fash on
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juba - the sniper
You support Spurs

No ammount of training will get you a first touch p
You're right, perhaps I should spend more time looking for little kids to lure away with candy like Arse does. Learning to speak French only probably would also help.

On a more serious note, keep your trolling out of here. Last time I checked this isn't the club rivalries forum.

― Julius Evola

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2006, 03:35 Thread Starter
Turn my Fash on
International

Back to the topic, today I tried some training and practiced the "monkey in the middle" with some people like Maiden said and it was very helpful, but I thought the best thing was when we played 3v3 with only one touch at a time allowed. It really helps you think about the next pass.

― Julius Evola

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2006, 19:34
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Team MutOofd
Quote:
You're right, perhaps I should spend more time looking for little kids to lure away with candy like Arse does. Learning to speak French only probably would also help.

On a more serious note, keep your trolling out of here. Last time I checked this isn't the club rivalries forum.
There isn't one, you can diss where you want.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2006, 19:50
World Class Player

Teams: Futbol Club Barcelona, Los Islanders
I'll actually give you a drill you can work on, you'll need one friend though.

If you want to learn first touch, the first thing you need to know is that controlling the ball right in front of you is fine, its a sign that you can do such things. But in football you need to learn to control the ball while moving it into a new space. Watch a master like Zidane always receving the ball and controling it into a new space. Defenders like it when you settle the ball right where you are because it gives them more time to close you down. If you are moving while controling, they become much more hesitant to jump in at you.

Ok now for the drill: (Real simple)

You and your friend stand 15 meters apart facing each other.
He has the ball, you stand just behind 2 cones that are about 3 yards apart.
(Here's a crappy diagram)

----Friend

cone------cone
-----YOU

Now its simple, your friend passes the ball in between the cones into you, you control the ball into the space outside of the cone on the right with one touch and pass it to your friend on the next touch. Then you do the same controlling to the left and passing back. Do this for like 3 minutes and switch rolls.

I would make it a point to tell you that you should be doing these first touch controls with the inside of your foot. Its great to be able to use the tools such as the outside of your foot or the bottom, but one good coach once told me that these are like ejector seats, good to get out of tough situations, but you want to use the correct fundamentals when possible.

I won't discount the quality of juggling to develop comfort with the ball and the confidence to do whatever you want with it. But many people who can juggle for ages can't play for a lick because they never learned how to control the ball properly where football is played...ON THE GROUND. Do this drill, i know its basic, but you'd be surprised how many people think they can play football but find this drill difficult.

If you can build a base of clean technique, its such an advantage over most.

Might I ask, how old are you?

Visca Barca!!

1 DECADE IN XTRATIME!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in