5 a-side - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2006, 15:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
5 a-side

Anyone play 5 or 6 a side here. I was inspired by the futsal thread to create this for those in countries where futsal isn't popular such as the UK. I played weekly for about a year but haven't played in a while cos I'm at uni.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2006, 16:03
Star Player

I prefer this to the the full game. Only because you are involved a lot more. I've been trying to play for the last two years.

At one point during 2005 I was playing two hour long games each week, till I got injured :frown:. Started back again this summer and only managed 4 weeks when I got injured again.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2006, 16:18
Star Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, England
Yes, play 5 a side but not as much anymore (once a week)...used to play 3 times a week along with training and 11 a side games.

Good fun, improves your touch and brings on fitness. We have the new synthetic pitches (rubber/artificial grass) where you can wear moulds or blades...doesnt cause skin burn anywhere near as bad as normal astro turf.

"If god wanted us to play football in the air then he would have built a pitch in the clouds"

Brian Clough - Legend

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2006, 23:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Aye, its knackering. I play on synthetic pitches too, at Platt Lane (City's academy), and I play in goal, which is fun, because I've got to watch out constantly unlike 11 a side when we'd dominate matches and I'd have nothing to do. I cannot come out of the box which is frustrating, but I've learned to pick out passes from the box. Shot-stopping is my strength, so I prefer 5 a side.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2006, 15:15
International

Teams: Blackburn Rovers
Yeah I play every week in a 6-a-side league. Nothing too serious, just a bit of fun and to hopefully keep me fit.

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST HAVE NO FUTURE

Champions of England, 1994/95
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2006, 19:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

It certainly does keep one fit, its so knackering outfield, not a chance to rest, especially due to the boards.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2006, 19:43
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Team MutOofd
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One
It certainly does keep one fit, its so knackering outfield, not a chance to rest, especially due to the boards.
Like in Hockey?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2006, 20:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Sort of, basically a 5 a side pitch is a shortened and narrowed football pitch with nets of varying heights (I play in 5'x8' nets, but others are 3'6 x 12') with a "D" shaped box of about 8 yards long. The pitch is surrounded by boards of about chest height (theres a no over head height rule), and if a shot goes wide it hits them and bounces off, same along the sides, so theres no throw ins. Its continuous play. Also free-kicks have a one-yard distance rule, where you can block the ball from a yard away. Keepers may not leave the area, and players may not enter the area.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2006, 20:54
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Team MutOofd
Quote:
Sort of, basically a 5 a side pitch is a shortened and narrowed football pitch with nets of varying heights (I play in 5'x8' nets, but others are 3'6 x 12') with a "D" shaped box of about 8 yards long. The pitch is surrounded by boards of about chest height (theres a no over head height rule), and if a shot goes wide it hits them and bounces off, same along the sides, so theres no throw ins. Its continuous play. Also free-kicks have a one-yard distance rule, where you can block the ball from a yard away. Keepers may not leave the area, and players may not enter the area.
Hmm, I see. Seems fun. I think it's quite like MISL indoor soccer.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2006, 20:56
Forum Manager
Legend

I play 7-8 a side on half a full size pitch, played from side to side if you get me. It's good fun and does keep you fit. Although now that it's dark I tend to get worse because I havn't got contacts (I wear glasses) so I do have problems seeing team-mates at times.

I just love to play quick incisive 1-2's and playing people in. It can be so satisfying when you play a peach of a pass, even more satisfying tha scoring in my view.

I tend to play with older guys though which is a shame (25-40 roughly) so the pace isn't exactly hard going. I'd prefer to play more often with people more my age (21) but hey, what can you do.

"a fan of Al-Habsi"
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2006, 00:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I play at my mate's cousin's solicitors firm, and we split into the same two teams every week, so its quite competitive and theres rivalry. Its traditionally 5 or 6 a side depending on who turned up, with me (18), my mate (18), his dad (40ish), his cousin (30), two other lads (21 and 24). We played against blokes of between 35-40, plus one or two 25 year olds, who had played together for years. We have pace but they have experience and know each others' games inside out. It was quite interesting. Incidentally one of the players is Steve Williams, who is an insolvency lawyer, and was in charge of Wrexham's administrators, and therefore was acting chairman at the club for a while, there was even a piece about him and wrexham in FourFourTwo magazine
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:48
Star Player

Teams: Millwall, Juventus
Quote:
This is what I play in Australia but we call it rebound football or indoor football.

Go to the Coaching Thread

Link-https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4366994#post4366994

The Dream Team Project

https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=251243
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Some of the pitches are outdoors though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in