Goalkeepers unite! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2006, 13:32 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
Goalkeepers unite!

Any goalkeepers here at XT? How long have you been goalkeeping? What protection do you wear? What brand of gloves do you prefer? etc.

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2006, 13:36 Thread Starter
Legend

Personally I have been in goal for quite some years. I have been in and out of goal since my 6th year. "Problem" is that I am also quite a good outfield player if I may say so, so I never focussed on 1 thing. Since 5 year or so I have been in goal indoors. This is an ideal situation for someone with my style and ability. My teams usually use me as a 5th player indoors. So the buildup starts with me and we use the extra man (me) to force space. Also I cross the middleline to score goal, mainly long distance strikes. I have finally found "peace" and I don't feel the need to be out of goal anymore.

On the downside are the injuries. Goalkeeping is not the safest profession out there, so I use a lot of protection: elbow protection, knee protection, shin pads, protection cup for my crouch area. Still I suffer from injuries quite often though. On the gloves department, I usually wear Stanno gloves. Very good brand imo, although it is not one of the most used ones out there. It is quite popular among Dutch goalkeepers in the Eredivisie. I am looking to the Adidas gloves with fingersave protection though, but I am a bit reluctant to buy them since I feel that you cannot bend your fingers anymore. Anyone has experience with them?

Cheers

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2006, 05:12
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
I started out as a goalkeeper because I had asthma when I was 12 and was advised not to do 'heavy exercise' in case I get an attack. Obviously a 'keeper does less running than any outfield player. Also starting out at a young age helped me become agile in order to make diving saves. Thankfully I recovered from asthma at around 15...however I was playing GK with a passion all the way up until my college years. Pagliuca, Peruzzi and Toldo were all my idols at the time. I wore adidas gloves usually...the most recent pair I got a few years back with the Champions League stars logo on it.

I noticed something wierd though. I quit making horizontal saves to my right, and for some odd reason I've developed a reflex to *only* jump left. Even when encountering 1 on 1's I position myself so that I dive on my left and get a hand on it. how the hell do I 'fix' that?!

Nowadays I've gone back to outfield, and currently only play Left wing back for the past year and a half. I tend to switch with the 'keeper when feel like I need a breather though...made a couple good saves last Saturday, so I think I've still got my moves intact

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2006, 14:54
Premier Player

Teams: Viva Espańa!
Try asking a friend to shoot balls to your right and force yourself to dive for it. Of course since you havent done it for long i guess it'll take some time before you get use to it again, but i think practice is the main key.

Website for Iker Casillas, available in English, Spanish and French!

First Ever Xabi Alonso Website! Revamped and Relaunched!

Fan of Formula 1? Visit the community fansite for the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix at:

www.f1gpsg.com
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2006, 10:16 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizoid
I started out as a goalkeeper because I had asthma when I was 12 and was advised not to do 'heavy exercise' in case I get an attack. Obviously a 'keeper does less running than any outfield player. Also starting out at a young age helped me become agile in order to make diving saves. Thankfully I recovered from asthma at around 15...however I was playing GK with a passion all the way up until my college years. Pagliuca, Peruzzi and Toldo were all my idols at the time. I wore adidas gloves usually...the most recent pair I got a few years back with the Champions League stars logo on it.
That's cool. I am asthmatic myself, although I feel better and stronger than ever before at this moment. But when I was a little kid, it was quite good to be on goal for that reason. Nowadays indoors, I often play as 5th player, so I do a lot of running as well.

What Casillas said might be a good way to stop your problem. Just force yourself into diving to your bad side. Practice makes perfect eh?

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2006, 06:07
Rising Star

Teams: Arsenal, Adelaide United
Well, I've been a 'keeper ever since our schools keeper in year 7 went away on holiday and I jumped in for one match. I kinda stayed there I'm not to good at holding onto the ball, however I have great reflexes and can make good diving saves (if I may say so myself). Injuries aren't as bad as they could be, but I guess I've been fortunate that every time I've been hurt I haven't broken anything (2 back injuries, one ankle).
Also, I wear the Adidas gloves that have the Fingersave feature, and have done for 3 years so far. If you get them I'd reccomend you wear them for an hour or two and have a bit of a kick around just to get used to them, but you can move your fingers exactly the same as any other gloves I've worn. One of the fingers has broken, however I have been wearing them for 3 years so it probably is understandable since I wear them for every training and match.
If you've got any tips I'd love to hear them. I'm a keeper much more in the mould of Cassilas or Buffon than Kahn or the like.

Forever Arsenal, Forever Adelaide United
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2006, 14:56
Egg
Rookie

I've been playing since in goal since I was about 7 years old, but stopped for a period to play in defense/attack, worst mistake of my life. I was always tipped to get to a high standard but I ignored and took the chance to play out. :/ Nowadays I just play in goal in 7-a-side and in goal or upfront in matches with friends.

I used to wear Reusch when I was younger but switched to finger saves becauses of all the swellling my fingers used to get, great decision but Ive switched the Uhlsport [today in fact! just got them] because Adidas gloves wear out faster in my experience.

And about the whole diving thing, I had the same problem recently for I jsut started playing in goal again after a few months out [last time I played was the first time for a month or two and it felt extremely alien to be playing in goal] but you just have to concentrate on diving and saving it. And for one on ones I generally find that if the player is coming at you from an angle, cover your front post completely so theres no gap at all and then always dive to the far post. If there coming at you straight on, you HAVE to stay on your feet, make yourself look big and keep in front of them. When you are sure they're going to shoot [and not dummy the shot] run at them and make yourself look as big as possible and dive but make sure your body is directly infront of the ball and your arms are covering high shots and your legs covering low ones [thats if you've gone straight at them and not dived onto your side]. That way you've closed down the angle because your closer and maybe put them off a bit, especially if your a big person anyway.

Goalkeepers rock!
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2006, 15:35
Rising Star

Teams: Crvena Zvezda, Arsenal, AC Milan
Hey guys ,whats up?I'm a goalie here in France and we play in DH(Under 15) in France and we play clubs like Valenciennes,Lille OSC,Lens,etc.I've been playing keeper since I was 7 years old and I love this position to death.As for glove wise,I've used Admiral gloves for a long time up until now.I bought the new Puma's(blue and white,same as Buffon's) which are also very good.As for injuries,I dont suffer many and I HATE wearing protection(such as elbow pads and knee pads) becuase as a kid,even if I was hurt,I played and I never wore protection so thats the reason I dont wear it.I also dont like weaing pants as a keeper but at my goalie practices,if I were to wear shorts,I'd get all bruised(as a matter of fact,I got huge bruises on my theights from all the beats I took in net).

As for club wise,I'm currently close to signing with Lille of Ligue 1 in France,I'm still waiting until I'm 16 so I could go live in there formation centres(which is something like a sports complex where I live,go to school,work out,etc).Their scouts came to watch us and the president of my club works in Lille so he also helped me a lot.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2006, 18:06 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_0707
As for club wise,I'm currently close to signing with Lille of Ligue 1 in France,I'm still waiting until I'm 16 so I could go live in there formation centres(which is something like a sports complex where I live,go to school,work out,etc).Their scouts came to watch us and the president of my club works in Lille so he also helped me a lot.
Good stuff Stefan. Sounds very good.

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2006, 04:24
Premier Player

Teams: Viva Espańa!
Hopefully we see you in UEFA or Champions' League soon Stefan!

Website for Iker Casillas, available in English, Spanish and French!

First Ever Xabi Alonso Website! Revamped and Relaunched!

Fan of Formula 1? Visit the community fansite for the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix at:

www.f1gpsg.com
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2006, 13:09
Rising Star

Teams: Crvena Zvezda, Arsenal, AC Milan
I hope so toop :smileani:
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2006, 21:08
Premier Player

im a keeper/forward odd mix isnt it? i play for a U-17 city division club i quess you could call it in montreal im hoping to play for the impact (montreals team) when im 17 then maybe if i develop well maybe making it to europe oneday... lots of maybes but very possible

Last edited by Arionesei; September 16th, 2006 at 22:26.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2006, 21:13
Premier Player

as for gloves and equipment i prefer at times not playing with gloves even with hard shots it hurts but you get used to it. and equipment.. shin pads the regular no long sleeve it cuts down on agility and reflexes which are my power points.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2006, 14:27
Xtratime Legend

Teams: teh AFC lolz
I often play keeper in indoor. It's fun, I like it a lot.

Never played it in the proper game, though, I was a defensive midfielder/sweeper in them days.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2006, 14:45
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_0707
Hey guys ,whats up?I'm a goalie here in France and we play in DH(Under 15) in France and we play clubs like Valenciennes,Lille OSC,Lens,etc.I've been playing keeper since I was 7 years old and I love this position to death.As for glove wise,I've used Admiral gloves for a long time up until now.I bought the new Puma's(blue and white,same as Buffon's) which are also very good.As for injuries,I dont suffer many and I HATE wearing protection(such as elbow pads and knee pads) becuase as a kid,even if I was hurt,I played and I never wore protection so thats the reason I dont wear it.I also dont like weaing pants as a keeper but at my goalie practices,if I were to wear shorts,I'd get all bruised(as a matter of fact,I got huge bruises on my theights from all the beats I took in net).

Keep working hard mate and don't ever lose that mentality. Zvezda will need a quality goalie in a few years. Best of luck!

BTW, purely hypothetical, Serbian or Canadian NT?
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2006, 15:11
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
I was mainly a goalkeeper from 6-12 years old and, I only wore gloves and shin guards which they required, it wasn't the best position as I began playing high school I moved to defense but they often had to do the least running in training but they did other intense drills
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2006, 15:33
Star Player

Teams: England B
i've always been a keeper seeing as im a lanky freak with fitness problems :-d im not bad tbh, my distribution needs working on tho

Champions of England - 1948/49 & 1949/50

Ernie Butler
Bill Hindmarsh------------------Harry Ferrier
Jimmy Scoular-------------------Reg Flewin (c)---------------Jimmy Dickinson
Ike Clarke---------------------Len Phillips
Peter Harris---------------------Duggie Reid------------------Jack Froggatt
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2006, 09:11
Star Player

Teams: North London Reds
What are the main things to take in to consideration to be a goalkeeper? my friends contemplating becoming one and wants to know what are the basic things you have to build on top off to be a good one. Cheers
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2006, 22:00
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
I'm a keeper mainly, but I also have alot of pace and play forward sometimes. I started playing keeper when I was 10 or 11 and took a break when I stopped playing for a year or two. Now I'm getting back into it playing on an intramural team in college, and really enjoying it. I'm planning playing alot with my IM team and also practicing on my own so I can make it onto the school team next year and hopefully play three years with them. If all goes right hopefully I can go part-time after I'm done with school.

My strengths as a keeper are probably my reflexes and shot-stopping, and I'd say I'm fairly good at closing down and one-on-ones. My weaknesses are probably my fairly small stature (I stand 5' 9"), and my distribution, mainly taking goal kicks and to a certain extent my throwing, but I think these can get better with practice. I am also the kind of keeper who will throw his body into the fray if need be, seeing as I can usually take a good physical battering and still be OK.

I wear Reusch, but after reading some of the comments in the thread, I am considering switching, especially considering my current pair of gloves are really worn out. Not sure what kind I'll get though, but I'll probably get them when I go home in a month.

Do people have any ideas for exercises I could use on throwing and goal kicks as well as any suggestions for making up for my relatively short height (for the position)?

Thanks.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2006, 15:46
Rising Star

hi there, i have been in IT now for a number of years, I am thinking of switching my trade and plying it between the sticks as it were.

has anybody got any hot tips on goalkeeping?

i ploughed the land with horses, my heart was ill at ease, for the old sea faring men, came to me now and then, with their sagas of the seas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in