Need some advice on shooting - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2005, 19:02 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: F.C. Dynamo Kyiv, A.C. Milan & Ukraine NT
Need some advice on shooting

Well I'm playing in a summer league. Usually I'm an attacking midfielder/striker. I have very good strength, burst of speed, and good dribbling and positioning but sometimes I have trouble putting away balls from mid to long range cause I tend to shoot straight at the keeper. Can anyone offer me any advice for this little problem. I would appreciate any help.

"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

"Statistics are like mini-skirts: they give you good ideas but hide the important things"

"He is as clumsy as he is stupid!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2005, 20:21
Proud Juventino.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Go figure ..
Try like hitting the ball from center of it / below, below is the area like when Del Piero liifted the ball vs Sweden in euro2004, that kind of place

works effectively all the time for me.

with the outside of ur foot + center/below of the ball = a great goal.

Life is only about black and white!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2005, 00:43
World Class Player

If you keep hitting it at the keeper, put a imaginary keeper in the right hand top corner.

Seriously though, if you have power from range, and keep it on target, theres more that enough chance it will test the keeper or go in. I mean if you keep on hitting it dead on the keepers hands, then maybe that joke trick above is worth a try

Its about getting the ball where you want at the end of the day...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2005, 02:18
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
if u're one on one with the keeper, u can push pass it into a corner and usually score. if u have a bit of time do a move and let him commit, if not just pick a corner. u should just watch striker videos for guidance on what to do in different situations. (ie, rushing gk, goalmouth scramble, etc)

as a great man once said:

"if you find yourself in the 18 yard box with the ball, just put the ball in the net and we'll discuss your options later"

alm:
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2005, 04:05
yaf
Rising Star

Teams: Manchester United
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenization-NRG
if u're one on one with the keeper, u can push pass it into a corner and usually score. if u have a bit of time do a move and let him commit, if not just pick a corner. u should just watch striker videos for guidance on what to do in different situations. (ie, rushing gk, goalmouth scramble, etc)

as a great man once said:

"if you find yourself in the 18 yard box with the ball, just put the ball in the net and we'll discuss your options later"
brilliant
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2005, 19:51 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Very nice! Thank you all for your advice. I'll be sure to implement it in my next match. Thanks again!

"Statistics are like mini-skirts: they give you good ideas but hide the important things"

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old July 27th, 2005, 02:16
BANNED!
Rising Star

Teams: United
I use the inside of my foot, bottom corners of the ball and curl one into the top corner. If I go for power, I pick a side, then hit across the ball and it goes in.

Just watch your favourite players and see how they do it! Thats how I got good and passing and crossing by watching Beckham.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 18:15
Rookie

Go in your backyard and shoot at a wall or fence, don't worry about hitting it hard, but just striking it smoothly and in the center of the ball. If you strike the ball well enough, half the time you don't have to aim too precisely because the ball will dance and move so much the goalie won't be able to get a hand on it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2005, 14:32 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Well I did not have a very good game at all, no goals scored but several very good opportunities did present themselves which I could not take advantage of as well as I should have. Plus the field we play on is pretty crappy, uneven with bumps and crap like that. Missed the goal twice by about 10cm, shot once straight at the goalie and had another ball cleared off the line, all in all very frusturating.

By the way, do you guys keep your heads down when you shoot? And where do you usually place your non-kicking foot?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2005, 21:52
Rising Star

Teams: Chelsea
non kickin foot is different for each player but u should follow through the ball when u strike towards your target

im back for the first time
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2005, 00:34
Proud Juventino.
Xtratime Legend

I actually try to improve my skills by watching Zlatan pretty often

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2005, 00:37
Star Player

get a gun

Soon Come-Kachifo
washingtone17
-----------------------------------------------------
El infierno es vacío; todos los diablos están aquí.

Interview met George Boateng :

Wat is uw favoriet boek? De Bijbel
Wat is uw favoriet televisieprogramma? Wanhopige Huisvrouwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Albert) Chinua(lumogu) Achebe
People say there are no wrong questions, only wrong answers; that is wrong [(!)]
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2005, 00:42
Proud Juventino.
Xtratime Legend

looooooooooooooool

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2005, 09:50
Rising Star

Teams: Arsenal
in this case its just practicing..over and over. take ur ball to the field wit a friend or just urself...roll the ball in front of you and pick and target and keep shooting. from what you wrote it seems ur problem is just positioning the ball. if you need more power in your shot..say so and we'll give u more advice.

Most of all watch every henry clip you can find..i have gigs and gigs of him..and i keep watchin them. Pure Genius
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2005, 15:44 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Gunner4life, I think you've nailed my problem, it's the positioning of the ball, which throws off pretty much everything else when you can't strike it cleanly, namely power and accuracy. Also what I found out is that if I need to finish softly or just place the ball it is easier for me, like lets say hit a chip or a lob over the keeper but I also want to be able to finish it with power and placement at times. At the moment I think I'm more of an in-the-box striker but I would like to be more than that.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2005, 17:20
Rising Star

yea. as i said before just keep practicing till it becomes second nature. its hard to do at first because most times u have no time to think, you just have to do it. But practice a lot. When your team practices just decide to take as many long range shots as you can. You might miss all of them but its practice, the point is just to make it second nature...in the game adrenaline kicks in and once u kick it you'll be more likely to hit a good shot (except u suck in the first place..lol). and stop playing indoors or little post for a while and just try to play in a real pitch as much as possible. Cos i had your problem once when i played only 'little post' for a long period of time, I found it hard to get back to my shooting habits.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2005, 19:02 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Yes practice does make perfect. By little post do you mean like small goals? Also when you follow through, I imagine you do in the direction where you want the ball to go right?

Thank you for your help!

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2005, 21:41
Rising Star

yes i mean small goals. yes if you want a straight shot. But i like to put a lot of Curve in my shot. Even the low ones..less chance of the keeper touching it
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2005, 21:55
World Class Player

Thats exactly it, practice practice practice.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2005, 19:06 Thread Starter
Rising Star

I had my shooting boots on yesterday and scored two goals. The first was a nice run down the left flank after which I cut into the penalty area beat two players and smashed the ball passed the keeper. The second was even better, a 25 yarder into the upper left corner. This makes it 6 goals in 5 matches.

By the way, I also bought some new shoes, Adidas Predator Pulsar or Pulson, something like that. They felt really good on the ball and are more noticeably lighter in weight. Anyone else have these shoes?

Last edited by Anton; August 8th, 2005 at 19:12.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in