Official Coaching Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2005, 14:42 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Millwall, Juventus
Official Coaching Thread

Welcome to the official threads for coaches. This thread is basically to tell about your experiences, techniques and drills as well as links and questions.

Before I go any further some more about me

Im Danny Perry. I coach a division 5 under 12's team in Perth australia. Im hoping when I finish school to hopefully go a bit further with my coaching

Go to the Coaching Thread

Link-https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4366994#post4366994

The Dream Team Project

https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=251243
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2005, 14:51 Thread Starter
Star Player

Also for some links here are some Goakeeping related Links I have

www.jbgoalkeeping.com

www.keeperstop.com

www.decatursports.com

www.progoalkeeper.co.uk

www.worldofsoccer.com

www.rodyhoegee.nl

www.soccerclub.com

www.eteamz.com

www.nasl.com

www.finesoccer.com

I hope these help as they are veyr informative on other parts of coaching as well

The Dream Team Project

post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old October 2nd, 2005, 03:49 Thread Starter
Star Player

I'e been looking at some coaching styles from Holland and I've learned a few things I will explain to you now.

SOCCER LIKE-Drills shouldnt be lines ,pass and run at cones etc. Drills shoudl involve a ball,an oponnent,a field,a goal and a few rules as well as a possibility of winning and losing. What many coaches get wrong is they do drills which dont ever happen in games or a very rare such as dribbling through cones. Soccer Like players to get into instances in real life. Heres a few basic example for teaching players the basics in soccer like. In the end for something to be soccerlike it needs 3 things to be involved ,techniques used in match situations and are used well to achieve there objective,insight which is basically if the players regonise what they have to achieve to win and how they solve it and finally communication which is basically the players working together to win te game.

5v2,6v3 etc.- The aim of the game is for 5 guys to get together 10 passes to score a goal while the other 2 or 3 are trying to get the ball and play it out of the square. If either do achieve thefre goals they geta goal. You can change how many goals to win and the size of pitch to make it easer or harder for the attacking team.

This improves passing,recieving the ball,screening and making dribbles are the obvious technical abilities improved but there ar eother things to look at while there playing. Do the attcking team slow the ball down when they need too as well as speed it up,do the attacker go for the best pass,do the recieves of the passes make positive runs into space as well as do the defence read the attackers when going for a tackle.As the game goes on you will see the attackers learning to let the ball do the work and players will start to know when they are the target or not the target of the pass. As well as this advance players will start to create decoys and the defenders will work together to corner attackers.

This game doesnt involve goals so it isnt soccer but it is soccer like as it is something that can happen in a team if wants to hold onto the ball for a buildup or are 2 up with 5 minutes to go. As well as this the players have an objective and a chance of winning or losing so i guess it has enough elements to be called soccer like.

Theres is a few other basic drills which involve teaching the basics using Soccer Like and if you want them as and i will post them.

SOCCER STRANGE-A drill which involves only 1 element of Soccer Like such as technique is called soccer strange as the players arnt experiencing a real life match situation. Theres nothing to win or lose. When kids go to training in a soccer strange siuation time is wasted running laps,waiting in lines,listening to there coaches lectures when it could be used learning soccer.

Heres an example of Soccer Strange Drill

Dribbling Through Cones-
Players have to dribble through a series of cones they improve basic dribbling but is there a chance for winning or a problem to solve?no,do players get an insight into the game?no and do players develop an understanding wih a team mate?no. It isnt soccer and defently inst Soccer Like this is soccer strange which shouldnt be played for kids learning soccer.

If you want more info or drills relating to Soccer Like aka Dutch Vision post heer an ill put up more information. Also I have got this information from several website over the net

The Dream Team Project

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2005, 23:48
Proud Juventino.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Go figure ..
saw it now but it's a good thread, made it sticky

Life is only about black and white!
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2005, 10:54
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
I had to coach a few times at college, doing Sports Studies. Once a group came over from Hong Kong, and 4 of us had to do a Basketball session for them, I really enjoyed that.

Then I had to coach an hour session,as part of my course, to my class mates, the tutor picked what you had to coach, and I got football - Control. What a sh1t skill to have to do, I could hardly find anything to do, it was a complete nightmare and I failed badly, never got tom redo it because I quit soon after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2006, 12:03 Thread Starter
Star Player

I just wanted to tell you guys I have got a new coaching position, Im running a clinic for a club. I will be training the youth goalkeepers

The Dream Team Project

post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2006, 13:58
World Class Player

Teams: Inter Milan, Macedonia NT
Good luck.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2006, 11:18 Thread Starter
Star Player

I want to know if anyone on these boards is also a coach and at what level

The Dream Team Project

post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2006, 01:28
IVO
International
World Class Player

Anything you have would be great millwall rule. I've recently taken up some coaching in Canada (which is a joke compared to what you're talking about) and I'll be coaching U18's. I've inherited a sad bunch really and I want to at least make this team mid-table or failing that not to get pumped every game. They didn't win a game in 4 years then dropped down 2 levels and won every game now went back up. I'm expecting a baptism by fire so any help you can give would be appreciated.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2006, 14:36 Thread Starter
Star Player

What kind of players do you posses.

Of your players havn't got a very high technical ability play the ball off your best player.

Eg Make your centre midfield(your best player) get theball and run the play, while the rest of your team all try and knock the ball about.

Try and do lots of passing drills as well as trying to keep your defence tight

The Dream Team Project

post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old April 25th, 2006, 00:46
IVO
International
World Class Player

Sorry for the late response, I forgot to check back. I have a pretty good centre mid and striker but my defence is rough. I've been practicing passing and especially off the ball movement as these kids tend to watch to see what their teammate is gonna do. I'll give some updates as to their progress. I don't know enough about the competition other than what these kids say and most of them are dumb as rocks so I can't count on that.
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 12:39
BANNED!
Legend

Teams: Argentina, Russia, Greece, Israel, Czech Republic
So,how is your team doing IVO?
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2006, 20:03
Rookie

Teams: Leeds United, Liverpool, Barca
Hi all ive recently joined the forum and did a search for coaching and bam this came up.
Im currently coaching under 9 boys
Does any1 have any good games they use similar to the one that was mentioned above?

Im a Level 1 FA coach. MillwallRule have u done ur Level 2?
Has any1 here done there level 2 id love to know more on it

Thanks
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2006, 05:02 Thread Starter
Star Player

10 Tips to make Training Sessions Easy and Fun

1. Minimize Lines- Do you like waiting in lines at the shopping centre or at the bank. Well players are exactly the same. The biggest player hate is waiting in line. When there are drills which would mean full participation as well as gaining the same results why would you do so?

In these two drill descriptions which one would you personally like to do.

Drill 1- 12 gates are set up and players try to dribble through as many as possible in 5 minutes. Loss of control could be punished with push ups etc.

Drill 2- 5 cones are set up as players, one at a time dribble through them with the coach keeping there times on a stop watch.

Drill 1-Every player gets the full 5 minutes of the activity
Drill 2-Every player gets between 30 seconds to 2 minutes of the activity.

2. Have a Plan- A day before a training session make sure you know what you are doing on the day and how you are going to do it. Firstly it you start the training session in charge and prepared. Secondly if you are stumbling for ideas in front of sixteen ten year olds you don’t look very professional and it almost seems like you don’t know what you are doing.

Tip-Bring Notebook to training session with planned drills inside. At the en of the session write down what worked well, what you would have changed as well as players who responded very well to one drill while others didn’t.

3. Be At Training Ground Early-Before the players arrive for training have your cones set up for your drills, have your free kick training wall set up(if you are one of the lucky few who have one) as well as any other equipment which needs to be set up.

When your players arrive you get into the training session straight away so, firstly you don’t waste any precious time as well as leaving no time for the players to get unfocused.

Tip-Training Equipment such as Agility hurdles and speed ladders can be expensive but shop around online s you can normally find some really great deals. As well as this encourage your club to invest in them as I know my club Noranda has recently started buying them and the new amount of players being attracted is huge.

4. Avoid Elimination Games-Try your best to avoid drills and training game where if he player loses they must sit out. This really knocks a player’s confidence down and may force them to dislike training or even football.

As well as this if a player is losing it shows they need more training and practise so what is the point of them sitting down.

5. Get everyone Involved in Games- To do this you should use small sided games. In small sided games, along with restricted touches or time on the ball, every player gets to touch the ball in every attack. Players get more touches, then they would in an eleven a side for example, therefore more chances to try newly found skills in a game situation.

Tip-5vs5 is really the maximum for a small sided game. Also try to regulate pitch and goal size to the amount of player playing or the exercise proves useless.

6. Match exercises with Player ability- When you are planning a training session or creating a new drill, pick a skill to improve (eg-Passing, Ball control). Start with the basics and then as your players start to improve on the drill improve difficulty. When you are satisfied your players know the skill well, try to get your players then using it in regulated game situations.

Tip-Integrate skills in warm up as well as progressing the drills with added pressure (such as hitting the ball between set of cones).

7. Encourage Players to Arrive to Training Early- Encourage players to be at training early by putting the last person to arrive on ‘Pack up Duty’. This means that he must pick up all cones and help with packing up gear at the end of the training session.

Tip-Give ‘Pack up Duty’ as well for players who don’t wear shin pads or boots to training sessions.

8. Keep Things Simple- Don’t over explain or use big words to explain drills. Use simple words and show an example. This will mean less confusion or loss of interest from players.

9. Keep Positive-If you are having a hard time or too tired to be a coach today stay positive. Don’t show any signs or tiredness or anger to players as they will expose it. So what I’m saying it ‘Fake It’.

10. If a Drill isn’t working scrap it- If players aren’t responding to a certain drill change it and if needed even scrap it altogether.

I hope with these tips you can improve as a coach and make training more fun and rewarding for you players.

The Dream Team Project

Last edited by millwall rule; July 25th, 2006 at 10:17.
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2006, 11:34
Rookie

Teams: Leeds United, Liverpool, Barca
Nice article. I've never thought of the pack up duty but im going to use it. Although sometimes the last person to arrive at training is the manager :'(
post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2006, 21:25
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

I coach an Under 13 Major team. A few thing s to remember for kids are No Lines, Laps or Lectures.
SFA - Skill, Fun, Active.

My kids like a game, where I get the keeper to kick long on a 1v1, after 20 seconds or so 2 more players are added until they get a shot in. Continues like that till a shot is taken. If you play offsides, put them behind the goal so when they go on the pitch they have to watch for that too.

buve - the shit on the heel of Italian football.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

Sent from my Computer using a keyboard.

Irish commentator during 94 WC - 'The Baggio brothers, are of course, not related.'
post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2008, 14:58
Rising Star

Teams: Arsenal, Spain NT, and France NT
I coach u16 division 2 and we are quite the team. So far we are 11-0-0, we play a 4-5-1 with a big emphasis on pass and move and constantly working it out wide. Does anyone have any suggestions on some drills to improve our pass and move style?

East Hants F.C - 2007 CISL League Champions
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2008, 07:08
Star Player

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano
Good Luck To all of you

great thread

Formerly known as:Suazo19

Also known as: MilfordCubicle
post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2008, 16:44
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Theo View Post
I coach u16 division 2 and we are quite the team. So far we are 11-0-0, we play a 4-5-1 with a big emphasis on pass and move and constantly working it out wide. Does anyone have any suggestions on some drills to improve our pass and move style?
Here's a sample session of mine.

An area of 20*50 yards, divided into 3 areas, 2 of which are areas of 20*20 at either end of the area. Grps of 8, with 4 balls are into each area of 20*20, with 4 players inside area, and 4 on edge of area. They are passing in an order of inside to outside, with players moving inside and outside area.

Passing should involve movement in different directions, using both feet, getting head up, and clear communication.

Then add variety of inside, inside, outside passing etc. You can then progress to make sure movement is good, by putting a cone into middle of area so it divides inside into 4 smaller areas. Now u can add specific movements from one small area to another to receive the ball back.

A further progression can be to add to include a passing pattern, like up, back, and through or a variation. don't forget to use turns, little dribbles etc to make it more fun and realistic.

You can then progess this into a game of keepaway.
Divide an area of 20*40 into 8 areas of 10 yards. It's 4 vs 2, and the attacking players can't recieve the ball in the same grid back

Eg if i pass from grid a to grid c, then to get the ball back I must be in either grid b or d, then the player in grid c after passing must move to another grid.

Look for composure too. No point working on passing if players treat the ball like a hot potato.

buve - the shit on the heel of Italian football.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

Sent from my Computer using a keyboard.

Irish commentator during 94 WC - 'The Baggio brothers, are of course, not related.'
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2008, 05:21
10'un Adi Lefter
World Class Player

Teams: Fenerbahçe, Juventus, PSV, Santos
Yup, this is the same thing my soccer team always does. It works great

We went from having a team with no ability to our first finish over .500 (11-8) in 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post
That was a shot. However, when he hits those trivelas one of two things happen-

1-Joshua has an orgasm.

2-Queresma scoress, and Joshua has an orgasm.

This time he got a lucky assist, but you can still bet Joshua had an orgasm.

Last edited by Kocaman Adam; July 21st, 2008 at 22:40.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in