Composed - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:06 Thread Starter
Rookie

Teams: Liverpool
Composed

The question is how to be composed on the ball. I'm a guy who plays defense, and is very nervous. Can someone help me?

Baros + Morientes
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2005, 02:02
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
tell us of situations where you were most nervous, that would help us help you

alm:
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2005, 02:05
World Class Player

Try to be on autopilot, Too tired to explain I made a thread about it a few months back.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2005, 02:28
BANNED!
Star Player

Gotta be a ballah.

Shot callah.

20 inch blades on the Impala.

Sorry, sorry, I just think of that when I think about dribbling. I will post a long thing about it tomorrow, if Faisal doesn't, about how to become composed. WITHOUT doing weed.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2005, 14:02
World Class Player

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2005, 16:48
International

Teams: Blackburn Rovers
Your problem is probably that you don't want to recieve the ball. For instance if you're looking to recieve the ball, and really want it at your feet, if the ball breaks you'll be decisive, be on the move early and pick it up. Now if you're defence and short of confidence and the ball breaks, you'll probably be thinking "shít I hope someone else gets to that before me" and you'll be less decisive about going to get the ball. Really that means you have less time of the ball to control it and pick a pass than you would if you were decisive.

Another thing is to just be thinking ahead. Anticipate when you'll recieve the ball, and think what you'll do with it before you actually recieve it.

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST HAVE NO FUTURE

Champions of England, 1994/95
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2005, 21:04 Thread Starter
Rookie

Situations like I recieve the ball, and it seems that when someone else receives it they can always find someone to pass too, but I can't find anyone to pass too, I just hoof it up, and we lose possesion

Baros + Morientes
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2005, 21:46
Premier Player

Just think in your head, I AM THE MAAAAAAOOOOOOFFFFFFFUUUUUKKKKKIINNNNNNGGGGG GREATEST DRIBBLER EVER.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2005, 21:52
International

Teams: AC Milan, Barcelona, Melbourne Knights
Just stay calm. Arrange little 5 v 5 practice games where you touch the ball a lot more frequently and the touch and poise will come.

how strange it is to be anything at all
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:34
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
yeah balls used to bounce off me like mad, but i got comfortable with control, practice recieving the ball and passing it off quickly..u have to be confident of ur first touch, ie, practice passing the ball against the wall and then control it, pass it off again, or do it with a friend.

after ur control is good, make sure u look up a lot and keep an eye on ur teammates around you, generally if u are fast u will know who to past to next u have to be one step ahead. think fast and know what you are going to do, u aren't afforded much time when playing.

be confident in your own abilities, and the only way you can be really confident is by practicing basic skills.

alm:
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2005, 15:27
BANNED!
Star Player

Right.

Someone who isn't confident will never be a good dribbler. You have to want the ball, desire the ball. When you get the ball, your goal shouldn't be not to mess up, your thought is "What can I do to help my team"? Passing the ball every time will never do this. When you get the ball your first thought should never be to pass.

Sure, passing is vital in football, but taking a man on and beating him gives you more time and space to pick out a telling pass or a great shooting opportunity, so that you stand a better chance at the goal.

To be composed in dribbling and passing, you just gotta relax, and think about what's best for the team next. If your team is down a goal you need to pick the pass or move that will lead to a goal scoring opportunity. If you're up, then you need to pick out passes that are lower risk but that will keep possession on your team's behalf. You must think about what to do ahead of time so you don't panic when the time comes.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2005, 04:52
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac
Right.

Someone who isn't confident will never be a good dribbler. You have to want the ball, desire the ball. When you get the ball, your goal shouldn't be not to mess up, your thought is "What can I do to help my team"? Passing the ball every time will never do this. When you get the ball your first thought should never be to pass.

Sure, passing is vital in football, but taking a man on and beating him gives you more time and space to pick out a telling pass or a great shooting opportunity, so that you stand a better chance at the goal.

To be composed in dribbling and passing, you just gotta relax, and think about what's best for the team next. If your team is down a goal you need to pick the pass or move that will lead to a goal scoring opportunity. If you're up, then you need to pick out passes that are lower risk but that will keep possession on your team's behalf. You must think about what to do ahead of time so you don't panic when the time comes.

Actually, the first thing he wants to do when receiving the ball is to pass. He's a defender.

You need to analyze the situation when you don't have the ball. Don't just look at the ball and the player that carry the ball. Look for your teammates that are not marked. So when they decide to pass the ball to you, you already know what to do.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2005, 09:00
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuynhduc
Actually, the first thing he wants to do when receiving the ball is to pass. He's a defender.
This keeps happening to me.

Oh well, as a defender when you get the ball your goal shouldn't be to just hoof it as far away from goal as you can (at least most of the time) because that just invites more pressure on your team.

You have to be aware 100% of the time so you'll know the passes you have when you get the ball, so you won't have to make the split-second decisions of a midfielder or foward.

Something else is always be prepared to use your goalkeeper. This relieves the pressure on yourself and the whole defense, even if just for a second. If you can, you want to pass it off to a fellow team mate. But something that is grossly underused on the youth levels is the goalkeeper as a 12th player. You must use your goalkeeper whether you're just trying to pass the ball around the back, escaping attacking pressure, etc. etc.

Always realise that if you are under intense pressure from the other team, at least nine times out of ten you'll have your goalkeeper to pass to.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2005, 22:21 Thread Starter
Rookie

THese last couple of weeks have been amazing, the tip that really helped me the most was wanting to get the ball when you are open. i was always scared they'd pass the ball to me but when i lost my fear, I was a instant hit. The Auto Pilot is an idea I'd like to try but most appreciative to everyone for thier help

Baros + Morientes
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2005, 02:13
Star Player

Teams: Ac milan, Melbourne Victory, Australia
Just lots of touches in training it always helps me coz i used to be nervous in defense.

Winner Xtratime Hattrick Cup Season 1

Go Australia
Go Milan
Go Victory
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2005, 17:11
Rising Star

Teams: Arsenal
be calm always..when i waz 13 i used to be so scared to get the ball..but now (18) i love havin it..even with 3 people on me and a crowd. just stay calm and try to think of what to do..sheild the ball and just think. and relax. even smile if u have to. works for me.just in a game yesterday i waz able to get out a jam like that wit 3 people on me. main key stay calm and confident

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in