Stamina in football - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2004, 19:11 Thread Starter
nomad
International

Teams: Liverpool FC
Building stamina

I'm not very fit at the moment and I am trying to lose weight, I jog whenever I can, but losing weight is not my question as I know how, I should simply take in less calories than the calories I burn then the pounds will just go, but my question is about how to build stamina? When I jog I always run for some distance (for about 2-3 minutes) then walk, then I run again for a few minutes and so on.
I can't keep on jogging/running all the way, is there a way to improve stamina and be able to run non-stop for at least 15 minutes?

YNWA
Omar
Follow me on twitter @omardxb
My dA page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2004, 20:49
BANNED!
Rising Star

I Dont Know...i Have The Same Prob.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2004, 21:19
Proud Juventino.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Go figure ..
yeah,, i want to find a way to increase fitness,, i play 20 mins then i get tired out,, though i'm thin (jus 60 kg!)

Life is only about black and white!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2004, 21:27
BANNED!
Star Player

I used to struggle with this same dilemna. I can tell you a few things on what to do to increase fitness, but it all comes down to having the desire to go out and actually do it that will make the difference.

First off, you have to start eating healthier. You need to drink between two and four litres of water a day, just to keep you constantly hydrated. You need to eat a lot of pastas and breads, and stay WAY away from sodas - the carbonated water cuts down on your wind and makes you not be able to run for as long or work as hard.

Second, you have to work out. Football is a task that involves more than just one part of the body, as you constantly have to use your chest, head, legs, arms, feet, hands, everything. Stamina needs to be high in the whole body, so you need to be strong everywhere.

Third, RUN. Don't think you can go around this: you have to run to build stamina. Go out and run at least every other night, to the point where you can run two or three miles at a good pace without stopping. If you cannot do this, go out and just jog a mile, then walk back to your starting point. Building stamina is a gradual process, and you have to do a lot of work to gain it.

Another thing that will help with your stamina being built up is playing games. You have to learn how to last a full length game running non stop, so playing games will help you learn how to do this. Like myself, I'm one of the slowest players in my teams outside of games, but when I cross the white lines, I have a different level of fitness that enables me to play full matches.

A last tidbit of advice I give it to hustle at practices or when you're training with a few mates. When you're shagging a ball you shot and missed with, jog to it, and jog it back. When you're passing the ball around, move, make little runs. You might not notice it, but your fitness is picking up if you're always moving and always running.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2004, 21:35
Proud Juventino.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Go figure ..
thanx a lot Gio ,, great post

Life is only about black and white!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2004, 22:05
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
when you're running, don't stop, the only point you can stop is when you can't take it anymore, and that limit should be a really painful one. if you stop start stop start run there is little good in it. one continous run several times a week will boost your fitness really quick. running and walking do not mix.it is actually more tiring to run after you walk. it's harder to start off with that pace again.

alm:
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:23
World Class Player

If you can go running with a mate than do so and time yourself with a stopwatch so you have something to aim at giving you more desire to run harder.

BTW skipping is one of the best and quickest ways of getting conditioned as it works alot of your muscles aswell as your heart. Do X number of skips every morning and add 10 everyday, Start off with 150 or whatever depending how unfit you are.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:54
BANNED!
Star Player

Yeah, I failed to mention that.

If you're trying to run by yourself, you're just making it that much harder. Run with a friend, as it keeps you from stopping and keeps you motivated. If you run by yourself, if you want to stop, you can just stop, nobody will keep you accountable. However, with a compatriot you will be called out if you stop.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2004, 04:14
Rising Star

Teams: United States
One thing about running with a mate though, if you are running with them I find that it is tempting to talk about whatever. That makes you winded faster and tire out and cramp up easier. Try to keep converstaion to a minimal.

Also remember your breathing when running, in through your nose and out through your mouth, that will help keep you from cramping.

Sometimes finding you is like trying to smell the color nine.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:01
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Take deeper & longer breaths and you'll be able to run for longer periods. Try jogging at a steady pace for 5 minutes without stopping, and then slowly increase the duration to 10, 15, 20 minutes as your stamina improves.

Jogging can only help to build up your stamina, you still have to play in games to build up your match fitness, like taking knocks, playing with slight body aches and niggling cramps...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2004, 06:00 Thread Starter
nomad
International

Teams: Liverpool FC
Thanks mates, I will try your tips and advices

YNWA
Omar
Follow me on twitter @omardxb
My dA page
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 08:00
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
And to recover better, always stand upright with your arms above your head and don't bend or crouch down.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2005, 18:02
Rookie

Teams: FC Barcelona
Question About Stamina..

I Have started to play soccer the monday i have like 3 years without playing and know i am back but i lose my Stamina, it`s not the same and on my position i need to run a lot, i am DMF and i need to run a lot, i am like a DMF and OMF but more DMF..

my question is what i can make to get more stamina?

i start days ago to jump with a rope i made 500 wednesday and thursday and 600 today (friday) and i am running 30 minutes 3 or 4 days per week

did you think that the rope can help me?

PD: Sorry for the bad english
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2005, 18:17
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

dig up the threads on this forum using the search function. Try keywords like Conditioning, Fitness, Stamina, Running.

I find that running is the best for stamina, rope not so much because it does not build running muscles. It helps condition but if you have running stamina issues it will not help as greatly as Running. Long distance running outdoors is ideal but if it is too cold outside to run then tread mill will have to suffice. I think treadmill is more conditioning whereas if you want to build stamina and leg strength nothing will beat outdoor.

alm:
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2005, 05:23
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
There's a similar thread here already

PS: Isaac, please merge the threads
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2005, 00:47
International

Teams: AC Milan, Barcelona, Melbourne Knights
You know, I found when I had a regular girlfriend my physical conditioning was just about at its peak

how strange it is to be anything at all
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2005, 00:48
BANNED!
Star Player

Never caught this thread, sorry folks. I'll merge it now.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2005, 01:06
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politician
You know, I found when I had a regular girlfriend my physical conditioning was just about at its peak
supposedly a regular girlfriend (doesn't matter if it's the same person) 3 times a week is equivilent to 50 something Km of running.

alm:
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2005, 03:32
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenization-NRG
supposedly a regular girlfriend (doesn't matter if it's the same person) 3 times a week is equivilent to 50 something Km of running.
50km? That's something else. I doubt it's that much, though, unless you're shagging for like two hours non-stop three times a week. Then I do suppose you're building a lot of stamina, for sure. But a guy who can hold it from busting out for 120 minutes full strength...:eekani:

Yeesh, I need to find a girlfriend...I gotta get fit!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in