Torn ACL - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:49 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Torn ACL

My worst fears were told to me today, as a doctor's visit yielded the chilling and heart-wrenching conclusion of a totally snapped ACL...and with it 9 to 12 months out of football.

It's a bad injury for me as I was hitting a level I'd never before achieved in my footballing, then this injury deprives me of up to a possible year of playing time.

Here is what the knee looks like:

And it's the Anterior Cruciate Ligament that they're saying it snapped.

I just thought I'd bring up this thread to try to find others who this has happened to and hopefully get some feel-good, success stories about those who have had this happen to them.

Thank you, I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:27
Premier Player

Teams: La Vecchia Signora
We had a 30-year-old footballer come into the outpatient clinic with a crushed knee injury during my rotation in Orthopedic Surgery last semester. He was scheduled for surgery the very next day and I attended it. I ran into him four and a half months later and inquired about his injury. Turned out the repair had gone so well he was back on the pitch. He invited me to his game and I remember watching him play all 90 minutes of it. So don't let it bog you down. It really all depends on how good your surgeon is. The repair is likely to work better on your knee because you're young and your knee is still developing so you'll heal faster.

Galbraith
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:25
World Class Player

Faith Knopfler is correct look at the positives, Your 15/16 right? and its 2005 so the technology is better than when Baggio was 18 and messed up his leg. But he got through it and had a half decent career so don't get too down about it and keep your ambitions.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2005, 16:09
Proud Juventino.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Go figure ..
i hope it doesnt deprive u from playing soccer again, anyway as Fasial said, it's 2005 and the tech. is better then be4.

Life is only about black and white!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2005, 16:53
Star Player

how did it happen...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2005, 16:56
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
I've had not one ACL tear but two (one on each knee). I had them both reconstructed successfully by a great surgeon. I'm currently 30 and continue to play the game in a very competitive league. The most important thing is to rehab, rehab, and rehab!!! This is key for a speedy and quick return. :thmbup:

My first ACL was replaced with a slice of my patella tendon, the second one was replaced with a cadaver. Someone else's achilles tendon actually. Tis why I'm nicknamed, "Dead Man Walking" on the pitch at time.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2005, 00:12 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid
how did it happen...
It actually happened in a collision with a goalkeeper on a one on one. I got the goal, he got my standing leg.

Today, I got an apology. From the doctors who diagnosed me. It seems that opposed to a tear of my ACL as they had said happened, I instead have a 5cm fracture on my femur and severe contusions within on the tissue. It's these contusions that created extreme swelling and pain within the knee, and made it appear I had an injury worse than I had during diagnostics.

I will now no longer miss the 9-12 months that it had looked like. I will talk to my physican and doctor tomorrow and see what they're saying, but it looks like great news from here.

Great quality of doctors nowadays, eh? Apart from Faith, of course.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2005, 04:10
Rising Star

Teams: Sampdoria
Wait until you start to go to the physio, they are worse, they make you go back for more treatment, which sometimes does nothing! Sure it helps but sometimes rest is more effect than the physio!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2005, 21:51
Premier Player

Teams: La Vecchia Signora
Good to hear that, Isaac. Better to have incompetant doctors than an ACL tear at this point

Galbraith
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2005, 00:20
Star Player

I got an ACL surgery two years ago on my right knee. Firstly I was recovering a tough groin injury about two months in physio and then I decided to play some futsal. Of course my body wasn't well prepared to play intesively after two months without playing and in one play i was in great acceleration and some guy pushed me. I still managed to score the goal before he pushed me (great goal indeed!! without angle) but when I fell I immediately felt lots of pain. I usually don't care about injuries but this time I couldn't even return to the pitch. 2 hours later my knee (and thigh) was almost two times bigger than the other leg and about one month later (time to let the inflaction reduce a bit) I got the surgery (total snap).

After being 4 incredibly sad days in the hospital (probably some of the worst days of my life) I was about 6/7 months in physiotherapy, attending every day. Fortunately, I was motivated to recover it and I did everything with determination. I won't tell you much negative stuff about all of this because there is plenty and you might don't want to hear it, but you surely want to hear some positive things. Well, I think that your injury and the whole recovering period will change your way of relating with people. Precisely because you will need them and you are going to see who's really supporting you. Secondly, you will have some more time to do some weight lifting. Third, I don't know the way you are but you will turn into a more mature guy, even inside the pitch.

I've just read now (at the end of typing my text) that your injury is different than what you were expecting. Anyway, some guy who get a ACL tomorrow has my view here!

You will still have surgery, right?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2005, 00:26 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

No surgery! It's an osteo condral fracture of the femur, and a meniscus strain. My whole left leg is sore, but it's not going to require surgery and I begin rehab Monday.

I won't be out for very long at all. Theoretically I could play again in 8 days but the stakes are too high that I might blow the whole knee out, so I figure the recovery time will be four or five weeks.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2005, 00:31
Star Player

Yeah, but be careful with that meniscus strain. If you ain't going to get surgery to correct that then you have to strengthen your thighs very well to make a much better muscular contraction = less charge in knee articulations. How old are you?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2005, 00:35 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

I'm 15, and I will be getting all of the phyiscal therapy that is available so to improve my thigh/knee strength.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2005, 05:55
Xtratime Legend

Teams: teh AFC lolz
You're only 15!? I thought you were older than I was ...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2005, 06:07 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Really? Where did you get that idea? You're 18, right?

On Topic, Luis how long did it take you before you could actually play in another football game? A lot of people have this happen to them, it seems, with the ACL tear. My history teacher, one of my couselors - it's amazing how often it happens when it seems to be such a rare injury. When you think about it, though, you can understand because a good hit to the knee when you have pressure on it or just a buckle can do it.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2005, 06:15
Xtratime Legend

Teams: teh AFC lolz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac
Really? Where did you get that idea? You're 18, right?
I have no idea, I just assumed you were 19 or 20. :thmbup: I turn 18 in a few months time.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2005, 11:13
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac

On Topic, Luis how long did it take you before you could actually play in another football game? A lot of people have this happen to them, it seems, with the ACL tear. My history teacher, one of my couselors - it's amazing how often it happens when it seems to be such a rare injury. When you think about it, though, you can understand because a good hit to the knee when you have pressure on it or just a buckle can do it.

To run decently, pass and shoot the ball decently and switch directions decently it took me 8/9 months. But I just was in very conditions about 12 months later. I wasn't playing for clubs anymore so my recovery was longer as I didn't need to hurry. Anyway, I notice that I no longer have the same sprint ability I had before, even if I consider myself quite quick, and I started playing mostly as defender. Nowadays, I'm slowly quiting football as sometimes I feel the knee is in pain and I don't want to go through this anymore. I have injuries in all my body (feet, shoulder, groin, calfs and back) and when I play football they usually appear all together so I only do gym right now. It's a bit sad since I love football but I feel better this way as I don't want to be with pain all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in