Clearing - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:52 Thread Starter
Rookie

Teams: Liverpool
Clearing

Usually when I clear the ball, I clear it a way so Its the same way of how someone would cross a ball with the side of their boot. i try but the ball goes very slow, very low, and not far. I know there are other techniques but I'd like to learn doing it this way no matter what. I think it could be down to leg strength so can you guys tell me what technique there is, and what part of the leg significantly effects the length. Thanks alot in advance since this will help me alot. Also can you give tips on the fact that the ball is dead.

Baros + Morientes
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:59
BANNED!
Star Player

Clearing the ball is essentially shooting a really bad shot. Basically, you're aiming for a goal as wide as the field is about 40 yards away.

When clearing, your technique should be similar to that of a shot, only you lean back more as to get more life on the ball, and don't worry about finesse, just a good old fashioned whack up the field.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:58
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
haven't done much clearing lately but from what i remember, dig under the ball, and pull ur leg high. follow through and hit the ball center but in a way as to lift it.

alm:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 21:46 Thread Starter
Rookie

But aren't you guys using the instep though? or is it using the side of your foot because thats the way I want to do it. Thnxs

Baros + Morientes
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 21:47
BANNED!
Star Player

Nope, you hit it with your laces. This gathers the most power and lift. The instep and side of the foot instead lead to weaker, lower, bending balls.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 22:19 Thread Starter
Rookie

But whenever i watch teams play it looks like the hoof the ball using their side, with some much air and distance?

Baros + Morientes
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 22:34
BANNED!
Star Player

Sometimes this happens, but this is usually only because they are grown men, meaning they have the leg strength to do this much better than your average youth player. Also, sometimes if the ball is rolling a bit more you can.

At a youth level, the laces is the way to go.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 23:03 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok now for kicking, I've heard that you need leg strength. I heard ankles weights are good, which i am using, but for leg strength does that mean calves? And how do you increase leg strength

Baros + Morientes
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 23:31
BANNED!
Star Player

It's not as much about strength as speed. In other sports, such as golf or baseball, power is aquired not through brute force but by speed. For example, Tiger Woods is very scrawny in the arms and body, but his arms swing so quick that the ball explodes off of his club.

It's the same in football. Use weights to make your legs go faster, and you'll hit the ball better.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 23:50
Rookie

Someone had the right idea by talking about speed -- the speed your foot/leg is travelling directly effects the power of your clearance, or any other kick for that matter. Of course, form and many other aspects come into play as well.

To improve leg strength, do some research. And don't do the ankle weights, they put unnatural pressure on your joints. If you look at the training programs for great athletes around the world you will see several constants in their workouts. Examples would be Squats, and Deadlifts, two great excercises that promote muscle growth, particularly in the legs.

Calves have a VERY minor role in kicking power. More important would be thighs, hamstrings, hip flexors, glutes, and your abdominals. If you don't want to pump some iron, look into plyometrics -- they can, of course, be included with a lifting routine as well.

Please, the great majority of the people on these boards would do themselves a world of good if they took the time to actually look into this stuff. The amount of useless garbage I see spread around is sad. There is no one "right way" to do it, but your results will come quicker if you know what your doing rather then listening to everything you here proliferated around here.

As far as actually clearing it, yea, just lean back and drive it. It isn't a cross, its a clear, I don't know why you would be worried about lofting it up field. Deliver it to somewhere your forwards can play and away from the other team and let them do their job.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2005, 01:04 Thread Starter
Rookie

I've done squats before. Havent tried Deadweights yes, but do they make your legss quicker? Thanks guys but one more thing, I've heard that ankle weights make your feet quicker is that true?

Baros + Morientes
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2005, 01:33
BANNED!
Star Player

Yeah, Mal is right, they don't really help leg strength that much. They can help your foot speed if you do agility stuff with them, but don't use them for more than a few minutes at a time so, as he mentioned, you won't hurt your legs with too much pressure.

By the way, Mal, what is your bone to pick with this board? We are not professional trainers or footballers - I am 15 and hardly semi pro. People here don't expect huge pointers, just a few little things on how to advance their game.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in