Taking Freekicks - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2005, 23:34 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: Arsenal FC
Taking Freekicks

When your team gets a freekick just outside the 18, are you the one to take it?
and if so do u go for power or try to curl it over/around wall?

in my team its usually me or our winger. I go for the nice curling goal over the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2005, 23:55
International

Teams: Blackburn Rovers
Every time we get a free-kick in shooting range, I'm always told to get the f*ck away from the ball in no uncertain terms.

I sometimes take corners and free-kicks from wide positions, though.

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST HAVE NO FUTURE

Champions of England, 1994/95
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 00:51
BANNED!
Star Player

I'm glad this thread was brought up, free kicks are something I love.

Personally, I love to bend the ball towards the upper corners, but from a little longer out I go for more pace.

A great way to practice them is to get a bunch of refrigerator boxes (from a local retailers who has them - believe me they do) and use them to set up a wall. They're about 6ft tall, so they're absolutely perfect. Get four and practice your free kicks without having to buy expensive wall men.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:17
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
i didn't try to go too fancy with the curling unless i'm feeling cocky... i love the dead ball as i imagine most of you do too. generally i try to strike it hard and place it whereever, depends on the spot, from center i'd put a bit of swirve on it, hit the low sides, from right, i'd put it in the left top, with a hard front spin ball... but my coach didn't think i was too good at it, but i was probably one of the top deadball strikers on my team, dunno what was going through his head.

alm:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2005, 08:42
International

Teams: F. C. Barcelona
In free kick we have 2 ways to kick them. I'm right foot kicker so I used to shoot at the left side of the ground or center. If I can I kick them with curves , I always tried to make them on goals even if they could be weak shooted. On the right side, we have a teammate who kick very strongly so I fake to shoot and pass it the ball in order he can shoot very quickly and without the wall front of him for sure. The 2 nd way is very effective, in training we repeat this a lot and as a result in match it works.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2005, 14:49
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Oranje | AFC Ajax | Barça
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutu1875
Every time we get a free-kick in shooting range, I'm always told to get the f*ck away from the ball in no uncertain terms.

I sometimes take corners and free-kicks from wide positions, though.
hehehehe, sounds familiar
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2005, 02:04
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Parma
I can drive a ball well, but I'm not good at curling the ball over, and back down again.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2005, 02:08
Legend

Teams: Milan | Italia
I take the FK. Being a left-footed player gives me the advantage when the kick is better for a left footer. My FK doesn't curl like a Beckham or DP FK but it does bend inward or outward depending on how I kick it. I go for the powerful strike and keeping the ball relatively low and in control with power has helped to score some fine goals and hurting one opponent.

ACM 1899
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2005, 04:14
Star Player

Teams: Italia, Reggina
A good way to get better accuracy on dead ball situations though not the best pace is to have your non kicking foot beside the ball and then go back two spaces and then take your shot. It helps you in practise and improve in accuracy.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2005, 07:15
Xtratime Legend

Teams: teh AFC lolz
I sometimes did. Mostly those 20-25 yard ones since I've always had a rocket of a shot. Most of them missed though.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2005, 10:59
Rookie

Teams: Bristol City, Celtic and Fulham
To be honest, im not that good at Free Kicks, i dont seem to get enough power on it, and when i try and just lug it, the ball goes miles over, lol. I have scored 2 freekicks before, so thats maybe why im always there trying to take it.

http://ourworld.cs.com/earlobe%20for%20arms/New+Sig.jpg

:thmbup: Bristol City F.C :thmbup:

Formerly known as LitaForCongo
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2005, 21:17
BANNED!
Rookie

Teams: CELTIC FC, KF LIRIA, ALBANIA
Im Pretty Good At Free Kicks Can Curl The Ball Really Good But I Dont Take Free Kicks Cuz Theres This Other Friend Hes Got Grat Power So He Takes Em.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2005, 10:48
World Class Player

Teams: Inter Milan, Macedonia NT
When I take a free kick I can curl the ball really well and score without having so much power in it.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2005, 19:53
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENTINHO_7
Im Pretty Good At Free Kicks Can Curl The Ball Really Good But I Dont Take Free Kicks Cuz Theres This Other Friend Hes Got Grat Power So He Takes Em.
Why Do You Think That It's Necessary To Capitalize Every Letter?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2005, 21:39
BANNED!
Star Player

Because he can, of course.

A good way to strike a free kick is to hit with the laces, but across the ball, not entirely but just a little off center, so you get that same tremendous pace but the ball also swerves away from a goalkeeper when done right. A great example is Alan Shearer's goal vs Manchester United at Old Trafford from a few season's back, he hits the ball like that and it's absolutely perfect, just unstoppable.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2005, 05:17
Rising Star

Teams: panathinaikos
main thing is also your run up, power people can run straight up and get power but dont get too much curl unless your a fkn freak like totti.

me, im right footed and i use a short but tight angled run up, sorta like a side ways run as i hit it around the ball not straight up. so yeh i curl it... a lot but i sacrifice power which doesnt really matter as long as your placements right. especially good for corners and set piece free kicks
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2005, 08:20
Rising Star

Teams: Arsenal, Adelaide United
I do mine slightly differently, and I don't actually take any in matches, just training (at the moment) but I usually smash it RIGHT along the ground, underneath the wall when they jump, and there only been a few times out of the many i've tried it that it didn't work. I'm not to good at curling, although I've done it a few times.

Forever Arsenal, Forever Adelaide United
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2005, 19:51
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerKK
I do mine slightly differently, and I don't actually take any in matches, just training (at the moment) but I usually smash it RIGHT along the ground, underneath the wall when they jump, and there only been a few times out of the many i've tried it that it didn't work. I'm not to good at curling, although I've done it a few times.
This is an interesting plan, although one I've found to be more successful on video games than in real life! The ball has to be struck absolutely perfectly, along with a good slice of luck, to getin underneath the wall.

Personally, a well-bent free kick or a free kick struck in the air is better, as it requires less luck and more skill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in