Getting fit in the winter - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 03:04 Thread Starter
yaf
Rising Star

Teams: Manchester United
Getting fit in the winter

Hi, I want to get fit for the next soccer season as I've never been fit to play before. Does anyone have any recommendations on a program I could follow in the winter? I have access to the school track...but it's snowing. i don't have access to a gym or fitness equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 04:49
Yeah, it's me in the pic. 6pax & good loox!
Rookie

Teams: Besiktas, BJK, Karakartal and Siyah Beyazlilar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaf
Hi, I want to get fit for the next soccer season as I've never been fit to play before. Does anyone have any recommendations on a program I could follow in the winter? I have access to the school track...but it's snowing. i don't have access to a gym or fitness equipment
This may sound stupid but..it is 80% diet %20 exercise..restrict to 1200-1500 cal a day (always read nutrition facts and do the math b4 eating) and combine this w/ 1/2hr daily cardio workout..
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 20:32 Thread Starter
yaf
Rising Star

I eat about 5 times a day. I hardly do any exercsise right now and my weight fluctuates +-3 pounds from 155. I'm 16. What kinds of things do you recommend I eat? Can I do stair running for the workout?

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 20:50
BANNED!
Star Player

Stair running is good for building leg strength, but impractical. You don't run upwards in a football match, so you shouldn't do too much work on it off the pitch. Run long distances on a level surface as much as you can. Don't cut out the running cause of the weather and work too much in gyms, as then you only build up muscle, which decreases your speed, just ask Freddy Adu.

Like he said, you need to eat very well as you likely won't be able to work out as much as you want, so stay away from soda and drink a lot of water so you won't lose much fitness.

Get a lot of touches on the ball, because even if you can run all day, it doesn't make you a good footballer. You have to be able to do something on the ball to play football, so don't stop getting touches in the winter. It's easy to get lazy, but you gotta work hard to stay in shape and have a leg up on others when the spring comes.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 02:58
Premier Player

Just run. A lot. Go outside everyday and run until you can't run anymore and then walk back home. Repeat. Again and again.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 07:02
Yeah, it's me in the pic. 6pax & good loox!
Rookie

Teams: Besiktas, BJK, Karakartal and Siyah Beyazlilar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaf

I eat about 5 times a day. I hardly do any exercsise right now and my weight fluctuates +-3 pounds from 155. I'm 16. What kinds of things do you recommend I eat? Can I do stair running for the workout?
Since you did not let me know your height, I can't tell whether you are a skinny teenager or an overweight one.

Therefore, I just can't tell if you need to lose fat (not weight) or gain muscle mass from what u wrote above.

I am assuming you need to lose fat AND gain muscle

go to www.bodyforlife.com and read thru. this is my advice i can give at briefest..and trust me...i get paid for giving advice. thx
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2004, 17:55 Thread Starter
yaf
Rising Star

I'm about 175 cm...so yeah I need to do both.

Thanks for your advice. I will try my best
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2004, 22:54
Star Player

Teams: Beşiktaş JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbolista
Just run. A lot. Go outside everyday and run until you can't run anymore and then walk back home. Repeat. Again and again.
I agree 100% :thmbup:

Hayat bize 90 dk. 45 siyah 45 beyaz.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2004, 22:33
BANNED!
Rising Star

I Agree 1111110%
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old December 26th, 2004, 05:45
BANNED!
Star Player

Yeah, the winter is important for fitness, but you can't neglect the ball.

Is Darren Huckerby one of the best players in the world? Of course not! Why? Because football isn't based solely on speed. You have to have touch, class, be able to pass and dribble and shoot the ball. Valeron with Spain is slow but he's one of the best players in La Liga and a Spanish international because he's so good on the ball.

You can't just run. Sure, do the running futbolista mentioned, but you also have to work on the ball. If all you do is running how is that different from training for track?

Just stand outside, juggling the ball. Get touches, don't let yourself get rusty over the break. If it's too cold, go to a local gym and play in the baskeball courts. Just pass the ball of the wall again and again, practicing your passing and receiving.

Imagine if Thierry Henry finished with the Premiership, then didn't do anything but run then was expected to straightaway start playing at a high level with a ball again? It wouldn't happen.

However, if you start getting sick at all, take a break immediately. I started suffering in a very cold October, but I played on, kept training in the cold and rain, and I went from sick to sicker and I got this cough at the beginning of November that has yet to leave me. It makes football a very difficult thing as every time I run the cough gets worse, so you can imagine the dilemna.

This just shows not to play through sickness, especially at this time of the year, as it just hurts you worse down the road.

If you aren't in the mood to train in a hard manner, what I recommend is a fun game called goalie wars. It's best on a futsal court or in a gym with mats behind basketball goals. The game is played by just two people. They just try to score on eachother, haha. Like person 1 would shoot on person 2, then person two could save with their hands, then control and shoot. Now you only have 3 touches and the ball can't stop, so it's fast paced and you get a bit of fitness work in, but it's also fun and you can practice all sorts of shots, as it's easy to get into bad positions for either player so you practice chips and bent shots and hard drives and lobs. It's better if you have goalkeeper's gloves, but it's fine if you can't.

Hope this helps with your winter footy.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old December 26th, 2004, 19:58
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
to bring up an argument we had in a previous thread, someone called me a sissy for not running outside.

i ran recently on the school track about 3 or 4 days ago, the ground was frozen, there was snow on the track, the temperature was -25 celsuis with windchill factor, i ran three laps, my nose was clogged, my legs were stiff, my knees, more exposed, turned a bit congealed with blood and it was covered with pants. another lap or two and most likely i would have caught pneumonia. that's canadian winters for you, sissy.

btw i'm not a pansy i'm just crazy

alm:
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2004, 04:12
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenization-NRG
btw i'm not a pansy i'm just crazy
You got my vote.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2004, 08:22
BANNED!
Star Player

I think you may have worded that wrong, Mike, but I understand what you mean.

Believe me, nobody here is going to blame you from not playing out there in that kind of weather. It's actually probably dumber of you to do it in the first place, but smart of you to stop in the end. By the way - how was your nose clogged? I find that in cold weather my passageways are frozen open with all of the weather.

Like I mentioned, you shouldn't try to play in that kind of weather again, as you're likely to hurt your body in the end. Are you doing indoor training at the same time, or is there just a winter break in Canada?
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2004, 19:26
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
i've taken a break because of university, if i were to get fit i'd have to go to the gym, but i'll train in the spring, when i get out of school earlier. i hate treadmills, so it's more outside stuff for me, as soon as i can run in a sweater and sweatpants i'll be out there.

well, i fidn that when i run in cold weather, to avoid drying my sinuses, the body creates mucus to keep it moist. thats why when we have colds we generate so much mucus. the mucus just started congealing in my nose, therefore, clogged .

believe me, i didn't know it was that cold, only afterwards, when the machofactor declined did we really know how cold it was.

rep teams in canada have asummer season and a winter season, in the summer they play outdoors, in teh winter they play indoor soccer.

alm:
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2005, 00:06
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat

go to www.bodyforlife.com and read thru. this is my advice i can give at briefest..and trust me...i get paid for giving advice. thx
I honestly hope your joking -- I don't know much about the state of personal training in Turkey, but if you get paid for the garbage you are pawning off on these boards you should be arrested for theft.

I loved your comment about 80% diet and 20% cardio -- that is a new one for me. Care to explain? Unless they grow some sort of magic fruit that strengthens the cardiovascular system in your part of the world, your muscular endurance is only going to prove minimally through diet changes. Sure, your body could run more efficiently through eating the right things ... your energy could be improved and such, but your not even giving him good advice for what to eat to do that. 1200 calories a day? He is trying to get in shape, not turn into a stick. 1200 calories a day isn't nearly a sufficient daily allowance for anything other then a petite women trying to lose wait.

The best way to run longer, is to run, much as the best way to get better at Soccer is to play.

My suggestion? Suit up, and take it, or invest in a gym membership. There aren't many alternatives ... maybe you could buy a stationary bike for your house. Cross Country athletes have perfected long distance running, look at their training programs if you would like. Incorporate some 'fartlek'/interval training to better mimic the demands of a Soccer game, and you are well on your way.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2005, 00:10
Rookie

Additionally, forget that website -- look for something more athletically inclined and substance filled. Testosterone Nation is good. Bodybuilding.com has good forums, including one solely for Sports.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2005, 00:36
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal88
Cross Country athletes have perfected long distance running, look at their training programs if you would like.
Don't do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal88
Incorporate some 'fartlek'/interval training to better mimic the demands of a Soccer game, and you are well on your way.
Do this. Training as if a cross country would is no good for football training. I believe, personally, as fit as you may become, that endurance off the field and on the field are completely different things. It's nearly impossibly to replicate the demands of a game - you can't replicate how the ball bounces, whether your team will be attacking or defending more that match, or when you'll have to sprint or jog, when to change direction.

The only way to truly get fitness for football is to play in games. This is the only path to take so that you'll get accustomed to the rigours that a football match takes on the body.

However, it doesn't hurt to do training to you'll stay at least relatively sharp during the winter. This is why futsal and indoor football are so popular among more than just players - coaches know it keeps their players sharper and fitter during the winter break as they're playing in football matches on at least a semi-regular basis, so they won't lose all of what they've gathered throughout the past Spring, Summer, and Fall sessions.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2005, 13:27
Rookie

Yes, I agree that the more stuff you do to emulate a game-situation, such as interval training, is better, but personally I wouldn't see a problem with just running a ton of endurance stuff so that you have a good cardiovascular base to build off of when the season begins. I always seem to come into the new season in better shape then just about anyone one our team, thats for sure.

I think the bottom line is just run and play, and mimic game situations and you cant be worse off for it.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2005, 19:21
Rookie

fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaf
the best you can do is to watch what you eat...dont eat a lot. drink a lot of water and do more of runnig....30 mins runnig at a slower rate for two times in at least 3 times aweek
you are made
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2005, 11:48
Rising Star

Teams: Arsenal, Adelaide United
I've been meaning to do this, but over here it's summer so it gets a little hot over here, and i'm not going to go running in 40*C heat. Still, thanks for the tips. And considering I'm a Striker/Goalkeeper (I know it's weird but I've got very good adaptality and eye for goal) what would you reccomend for the 'keeper side of things?

Forever Arsenal, Forever Adelaide United

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in