Power Kicking - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 05:39 Thread Starter
Yeah, it's me in the pic. 6pax & good loox!
Rookie

Teams: Besiktas, BJK, Karakartal and Siyah Beyazlilar
Power Kicking

Hi. I am a newcomer to this forum (or to any soccer forum lol). I am not sure if this is covered here before even though I'd not find the thread on the subject of "power kicking". Of course, with aim I could not really find it anywhere on the net.

I need some pointers as to how to kick the ball as hard as you can, but, with aim.

1- Exactly what part of cleats do you need to kick the ball with? I need specific info. Pics would be great!!! So that I can train myself on slow pace first against a wall and increase kicking speed later on. But, I need to know what part of boots/cleats you need to kick it w/.

2- Exactly what location on soccer ball do you need to kick ? Say, for a straight shot? Or for slight or even more swerves ?

3- Is it OK to hit with toe, like the sharpest point of the cleats up front (The ball seems to travel super-fast, but aiming to where you want is shittin' hard) Or, are you supposed to kick slightly on the sides of toe?

If someone could help with these three above-listed questions, I'd highly appreciate it. Some players I watch, for instance, do not give much clue to goalie of kicking the ball and they surprise goalie with a kick that is made by taking a small step right before kicking the ball from 25-30 yards! And they slightly jump therinafter the shot and fall on the same feet by which shot was made. R. Carlos is a good example to this, I think. I read someplace (I think CL mag, it was) that he hits the ball exactly in dead center! But, same article did not explain with what part of the shoe he hits it with.

I need someone's help who knows what he is talking about. Not a soccer star fan who has no idea he's talkin' 'bout. Thanks mucho in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 05:50
International

Teams: La Nazionale
Hi and welcome gymrat, interesting discussion, but shouldn't this be under "Xtratime on the Pitch"?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 06:08
World Class Player

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 06:08 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Outdoors
Hi and welcome gymrat, interesting discussion, but shouldn't this be under "Xtratime on the Pitch"?
Hi. I agree. I did it with the intention that it'd catch more attn and thus i'd find a better answer to my question. If not, I can always remove it if it causes any dilemma to anyone. Thanks.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 06:21 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal
Hi. Thanks for the link. I read each and every reply, but, your link does not answer my major question: What part of cleats do you hit with? Thnx.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 06:50
World Class Player

The sweet spot of your boot, You know around the laces area with your toes pointing downwards and your ankle and foot tighten( Thats important otherwise you could get injured with a loose foot)

Watch a video of Totti or Nedved, You can see how they follow through and try to get a clean strike on the ball

Its all about technique really, BTW strong ankles are important and hitting a ball against the wall gets them stronger.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 09:53 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal
The sweet spot of your boot, You know around the laces area with your toes pointing downwards and your ankle and foot tighten( Thats important otherwise you could get injured with a loose foot)

Watch a video of Totti or Nedved, You can see how they follow through and try to get a clean strike on the ball

Its all about technique really, BTW strong ankles are important and hitting a ball against the wall gets them stronger.
Sorry, maybe I'm not getting it but it appears that you are very vague when describing: "The sweet spot of your boot, You know around the laces area with your toes pointing downwards". It appears that you are talking about toe-area and laces.

Furthermore, what angle are you kicking the ball with such "sweet spot" which I still have no idea where it is. Also, when you watch videos, they don't zoom to guy's feet so that you have a clear view. I understand the follow-thru and jump action w/ ur feet and so forth. I am mainly talkin' bout what you just called "sweet spot". But, thanks!!

I really appreciate it if someone who actually personally knows how to power-kick a ball, rather than describing from seen videos. No offense intended. Thanks.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 11:24
International

Teams: La Nazionale
I think the most important aspect is the follow-through. Which part of your foot you hit with is crucial, of course, but the hardest shot-hitters I know swing almost their entirely body towards the side of the leg their kicking with. In other words, if you're kicking with your right boot, you would expect the follow-through to be so huge that your entire body would be lifted up (including your left leg), and you would almost become unstabilized and fall when you land because your body would be swung way off centre towards your right side. I wish I had a video to show but I don't. Hope you get the idea.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 11:45 Thread Starter
Rookie

You know, as I explained few times b4, I "totally" get the part wherein you put humangous kick in the ball that you end up having lifted off the pitch and so forth. Thank you for reiterations, but I see that done all the time by soccer stars and I know how that looks in video.

But, again, there is a big difference between kicking the ball w/ where the laces are AND the toe area. The ball will ROCKET from anywhere in sharpest pointy toe area (but with least control) On the contrary, you can HARDLY get the ball to goal with lace area. I read that R. Carlos uses what Brasilians call 3-finger shot or sth like that, that, he hits with smallest three fingers off his feet at the edgy part of the cleats. I think there's a brasilian term for that. But he uses this shot for his ultimate spinny swervy dead kicks from far away. I need to learn the same shot but the one that goes kinda straight with more control! Anyways, its hard to explain. But thanks for your post indeed.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 14:33
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Parma
Strike through the ball, and follow through to get maximum power.

BUT TECHNIQUE IS VITAL! ACCURACY OVER POWER!

Strike through the ball with your head down and body over the ball to keep the shot low. Work on your accuracy first and your power will naturally come with it.

I hope that helped .
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2004, 00:30
Rookie

Dont kick the ball with your toe. You will never get to be able to kick the ball accurately, and although you dont think the laces works, it does, it just takes a lot of practice. If you can't kick it as hard with your laces as your toe, your technique isn't right. Lock your ankle. Locking your ankle is basically making pushing back your ankle so that a straight line is formed from your toes to your knee. If you watch Roberto Carlos, or just about anyone, you can see how this is done. Feel the top of your foot without the shoe on,and try to find the place where the bone is the largest. This is where you should kick it with. When you get it right, you'll see what the previous poster meant about "sweet spot." Also like someone said, curl your toes down. Also, don't lean to far over or back of the ball. Keep your eyes on the ball and knee over the ball and hit the ball dead center. With practice, you'll be able to hit the ball so hard it can knuckle, and you'll be able to pick out a spot on the goal and get it there most of the time. I hope this helped.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2004, 00:31
BANNED!
Star Player

Absolutely right. Technique over power holds true in all sports. In baseball, Ken Griffey Junior never swung hard, but it was so fluid he hit tons of home runs. In golf, Tiger Woods swings smooth as cream and you can see it in his huge, accurate shots.

It's no different in football. Steven Gerrard hits a ball well but it's his perfect technique that makes his shots so great.

When striking a shot, make sure you plant your non-kicking foot even with the ball, although not right beside it. Then bend that striking boot back, and swing through. For added power, jump up after shooting, and land on your kicking foot. It's hard to describe, but go to the Video Clips forum and download shots and you'll see what I mean. It's that jump follow-through that adds the power to your shot.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2004, 17:30 Thread Starter
Rookie

Zola, and especially Masterplanner: Thanks much for your inputs. I read your post twice and tried to vision it, Masterplanner. I will try it the way you explained it and I think it will work because it makes sense. It is exactly what I needed.

Logically-and fr. experience- speaking, kicking the ball w/ lace area slows down the ball big time. I think, the largest bone and flat part of your feet right between lace and toe section is the part that is called sweet spot. (I know that ball dies when the same contacts the lace area, it kinda cushions down the speed) I mean, I am no sissy kicker, my football buddies come to me when a ball (football ball) needs to be kicked fr. 40 yds. I can do that w/ ease, but of course, kicking techniques are different stories in football and soccer. Anyhow, thanks for your feedback a lot and I'll hit the field and give a shot! I'll mainly work on technique with above-described "sweet spot". That is the only way to find out for real, after all. I'll post again herewith
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2004, 17:40
World Class Player

The sweet spot isn't the laces alone but on the flat part around the lace area and near the big toe.

Trust me you will know when you hit it sweet and clean
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2004, 20:20
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
there are few sensations in life better than hitting the sweet spot on a ball

timing is imperative too. as is your steps. you need to time ur kick so that the point of hitting the ball is in the most powerful stage of your leg swing. that you will have to wokr out urself because it's folly for me to try and describe it to you. also, you must time ur footing so that your less-domininat foot steps beside the ball but is closer to yoru target than the ball is. that way you can transfer all the power from ur leg to the ball.

its really hard to explain, i've tried asking ppl myself. scan the forum if u can for previous threads. but a well hit shot is way better than a ballooning rocket.

alm:
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:05 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, I hit the field today and experimented with the kicking techniques explained herewith. It aint easy finding the sweetspot and even though I find it, the shots are more like sissy shots, no pace and speed at all. I am still working on the technique of kick-and-get-elevated with same shooting leg sorta and land on same foot first (the one that is explained here and also you see soccers stars do the same thing)

Ironically though, I find sweetspot shot to help me with banana-swerving corner kick shots, made 2 goals (no goalie) out of 3 corner kicks. I kick with lacey sweet spot from left to right (for spin) and making banana swerves are actually ez.

One thing I observed is: Shots hit by sweet spot appear to gain velocity slightly after it leaves the foot (like it builds momentum gradually), and it is more predictable to a goalie, unlike toe shots which rocket away right on. I know that a toe shot is not the way to go and sound very amateurish. I don't kick with dead center of toe but slightly on sides, thus adding a spin factor and unpredictability. The ball does not balloon away unlike when you kick with pointiest point of toe. I bet this kicking style (kicking slighty on the sides of toe, where shoe sole meets the leather upper) is utilized by pro soccer players, because it is too good to pass. I was wondering if anyone witnessed to this kinda kicking style utilized by any pro soccer player.

Well, I'll keep training as per "real" techniques explained herewith. I dont mean to reinvent the wheel, but I'd like to include my own "edgy pointy shots" also in my repertoire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in