Im too small - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2004, 00:48 Thread Starter
Rookie

Im too small

Hey everyone
Im a freshmen playing on my varsity high school team. I have the skills to play on the team, but I am really short (5'4'') and only weigh 105. To top that off, I am not very fast. This translates into not much playing time. Im in a weight training program to get stronger and to weigh more, but does anyone have tips on how to get faster? Im getting burnt a lot just on defense because of everyone speed and size, and it'sn not hard to chase me down or push me off the ball when I have it. Does anyone have any tips on how to not make my size such a detriment? Does anyone know any dirty tricks that work well for small players or any tips just on my overall game? BTW, I am a central midfielder/ left midfielder. All advice will be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2004, 04:34
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
Ouch buddy. I'm not going to lie to you because thats not how i am, i hope you do not prefer the sugar coated "don't sweat it" to the stuff i spew.

You're not as badly off as you think you are, which is a great. you're only a freshman so you have lots of time to improve. plus, you're not fully grown! which is a great bonus. so by the end of hs you will be taller most likely. nothing happens overnight so you have to be patient. just keep pushing yourself. as for getting faster, isn't that the question eh? well i'd suggest sprints and maybe 100m then 100 m jog, 100m sprint then 100 m jog, that's super tiring tho. you should check up the threads in this forum because there have been many many topics on this with lots of good suggestions. as for gettng burnt, if you want to play those positions you will have to be better at defending. u wanna learn to slide tackle well, and how to nick the ball from ppl running at you. if someone take you on, keep a good distance between you two and don't get caught out. make sure you're in the stance that will allow you to break on either side as quickly as possible if he tries to pass you. and ultimately, learn to read them, let them make the first move and when they pull the move stick your foot out and poke the ball. if everyone is trying to push you off the ball you should learn to spin off people. or pull the ball back so they keep moving but you change direction. learn to use your arms so that you are doing legal arm movement and keeping space but not fouling them, i don't know how to explain this you should watch some games where defenders need to keep the attacker away from the ball in their own half, usually near the corner spots. if u're slow don't run in a straight line is all i gotta say. make sure u can ball control well, and use the outside of your foot and go around in a circle, very useful for CMs. if i were you i'd try to develop speed because you will need that to beat a defender and cross from the LM spot. CM's need to be fast too, you're still growing, take advantage of that. hope this helps and goodluck.

alm:
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2004, 23:26 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll try to get a tape and watch that hand movement thing you talked about. That sounds like it will help a lot. BTW, I should have been more specific before. I'm not incredibly slow. I am the 2nd fastest freshmen. I'm just one of the slower varsity players.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2004, 07:16
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

yea everyone who says theyr'e slow here aren't really that slow

if u can move fast and change direction fast you are going to be at an advantage, football isn't about straight lines.

as for the hand movement it is more like using your arms to hold off opponents. u're not exerting force on them but u're using ur arms so they can't get into your space and push you. once u start pushing it's illegal. maybe you've seen your varsity team mates do it legally. look at a lot of player's pictures, they have both arms out, one reason is to keep balance, the other is so they give themselves more room to manuever and keep the ball. if you can't hold em off anylonger i'd suggeest changing direction, the worst feeling is to get muscled off the ball.

alm:
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2004, 02:43
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
Well, it really all depends on what position you're playing. You can't be a centre back and be 5'4! Look at some of the best attacking players, Owen, Larsson, and Scholes are all 5'7. Speed is easy to change, just work on your sprints as well as agility. I think you'll do fine.

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2004, 04:47
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

he is LM/CM

alm:
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2004, 10:38
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
Zola is the same height as you and not particularly fast either, so you'll be ok as long as you are a genius

seriously you have some great advantages in being a small stature, low centre of gravity is a great gift to have, if you get chased down, just guard the ball and lean against your taller opponents, also you should be able to turn and feint much faster than bigger guys.

as you get older this will become less of a problem, i know a lot of coaches don't pick small guys for young teams, but they are just braindead idiots.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2004, 19:27
BANNED!
Star Player

You know a player is special if he plays for Chelski and Jern compliments him.

Like he said, size isn't everything. I'm 6'0" and sometimes I find it difficult to not be hassled off the ball by bigger players as I am not built big and I'm so far from the floor. You, however, at your short height have the great advantage of a low centre of gravity. So just bulk up a little bit, run a bit more, and you should be quite a force.

Football isn't just about size, speed, or build though. It's about your brain. Making the right pass, the smart run, or a clinical finish isn't about your physical stature. It's about your footballing smarts. Develop those, then worry about the rest.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2004, 20:05
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jern Lizardhous
so you'll be ok as long as you are a genius
Haha thats what I thought

But lets be honest guys, Physical traits are very important in modern football, If you grow then you have a chance but 5'4 is very short especially for someone who lacks pace.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2004, 20:11
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Hey everyone
Im a freshmen playing on my varsity high school team. I have the skills to play on the team, but I am really short (5'4'') and only weigh 105. !
make a career in the horsetrack as a jockey. Youll thank me later.

Certified thread killer - Best on the web.

No one ever says "It's only a game!" when their team is winning .

Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind. -Kipling
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2004, 22:10
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid & Spain

Evil !

VIVA ESPAŅA Y HALA MADRID :fero:
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2004, 22:58 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies guys. I played almost the whole game today at center midfield and played a lot better. I think all of your advice has really helped.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2004, 23:11
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Is that the positive or the negative advice given?

hey isn't Claude Makelele like 5'4? if u can build ur body like him u'll be set

alm:
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2004, 03:20
Star Player

Teams: Chelsea and I love you - Champions
Low sense of gravity cab help you.

I'm 5'7 but I can battle with anyone but i'm strong.

"Suck me beautifal"

- STIFMEISTER
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2004, 08:02
Xtratime Legend

Teams: teh AFC lolz
Shaun Wright-Phillips is about 3'11.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2004, 17:57
Star Player

How high is 5'4 in Meters?Am pretty low but I have very good technical skills and I am one of the speediest on my team,but my low hight does bring some problems on corners etc but if you are aggresive and use what you have of your weight and hight I don't belive it's such a big problemif your MD it's a another thing ofcourse..
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2004, 02:42
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

i'm about 5'9 and a half and i still find it hard defending corners. my weakest skill is probably heading. 5'9 isn't that tall but i wish i had a bit more hops

alm:
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2004, 11:40
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
I'm over 6 foot and my weakest skill is heading, i'm just no good at it, my timing is excellent except heading i just seem to get it all wrong.

And i played with a guy no bigger than 6'4 (if that), he played centre mid and was one of the best headers of the ball i have ever seen, he is quite skinny as well but is an animal, he never backs out of anything, and at 18 and being that small and quite skinny playing in a mens league against big blokes, he's winning most of the headers and going right through people with his tackles, i don't know how he does it....he's some sort of freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 04:43
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenization-NRG
i'm about 5'9 and a half and i still find it hard defending corners. my weakest skill is probably heading. 5'9 isn't that tall but i wish i had a bit more hops
start playing basketball, it usually helps you jump higher an makes u taller if u play for a while
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 05:14
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

i played a lot of basketball in my growing days, i've turned to soccer now.

alm:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in