Planning A Training Session - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2004, 18:09 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Parma
Planning A Training Session

I am looking to plan an hour/two hour session. I would like input from everyone for short drills to include. The drills must be drills I can work alone on, or with one more person.

10Mins - Jogging/Warm-UP

10Mins - Stretching

5Mins - Ball Juggling

5Mins - Ball Control

That is my standard first 20 minutes, I would like drills to fill up a few training sessions. Thanks.

My Resources: Large field, one ball, boots, cones. I also have two large boards for shooting against.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2004, 18:28
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
My personal favorite is free kicks

But just passing for instance could be a useful excercise, if you're playing with another person you would want to move around making passes, getting into different positions, being creative about ball reception and passing techniques. You could try all kinds of arrangements like long balls, on the run flicks, side ways, with your back to the teammate, turns etc. Is that any good?

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2004, 18:54 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Yes thanks Numerodix, indeed helpful. When my mate is with me we work on a Mini Soccer pitch. I would for instance stand in one goal area, and he at the other end in the other goal area. We would then try dropping the balls into the area, with a touch for control and a touch to distribute.

But I can use some more of you're suggestions to try and add to a schedule.

I am looking at any aspect which would help me in a game. That means running/shooting/dribbling/heading, I will be grateful for any suggestions.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2004, 00:16 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Can anyone help me with some more suggestions?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2004, 02:17
BANNED!
Star Player

I have a huge one:

WORK ON YOUR WEAK FOOT

It makes you, seriously, like 50% better as a player. No matter what the situation, being better on your weaker foot changes your game as a player and makes you that much better. Think about it. If you're going at a guy and you can go to either side of him, then it's going to be 2x as hard to defend you. If you can cut inside from the right and cross with your left as well as a right footed cross, you're a lot more dangerous. Better control, everything to help your game.

Spend a good amount of time on this, and you'll become a lot better.

It's ironic you're doing this Amiumtaur, as a friend and I are starting an extremely rigorous training program in November. I'll fill you in on it as we plan it out further.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2004, 03:36
World Class Player

Yeah work on your weaker foot alot and technical things like passing,one touch passing, shooting, volleys, headers etc

When your by yourself or with a mate its best to do these sort of things because theres not much you can do apart from this without more people or/and a coach.

Oh and when you are jogging take the ball with you

Do ballwork and especially work on your weaknesses

BTW do you have a bleep test? That are great for testing and building up your level of stamina with a friend.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2004, 04:16
BANNED!
Star Player

What's a bleep test?

Oh, and if at all possible get an agility ladder. Quick feet = better footballer.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2004, 04:25
World Class Player

Thanks to google...

The Multi-Stage Fitness Test, also known as the ‘bleep’ or ‘beep’ or ‘shuttle run’ test, is often used by sports coaches and trainers to estimate an athlete’s VO2 Max (maximum oxygen uptake).

The test is often recommended for multiple-sprint game players, because it is similar to such activities, for example rugby, soccer or hockey. The test is, however, not necessarily applicable to endurance activities such as cycling or running.

Description

The 'bleep' test involves running continuously between two points that are 20m apart. These ‘shuttle’ runs are done in time to pre-recorded ‘bleep’ sounds on a pre-recorded audio cassette. The time between the recorded ‘bleeps’ decrease after each minute.

The test usually consists of 23 levels. Each level lasts 60 seconds. A level is basically a series of 20 meter ‘shuttle runs’. The starting speed is normally 8.5 km/hr and then increases by 0.5km/hr with each new level.

The audio tape used for this test gives a single ‘bleep’ at intervals, which indicates the end of a shuttle, and 3 ‘bleeps’ indicates the start of the next level.

Equipment

You will need the following to do the test:
Tape measure
Flat, non-slippery surface of at least 20 meters in length
Markers or cones or lines
Recorded ‘bleep’ audio cassette and a tape player

NOTE: The ‘bleep’ audio tape may become stretched over time. These tapes are calibrated at a timing of one-minute intervals and may lose this accuracy if used over a long time. It is best to buy a CD-recording, which offers far better accuracy.

Procedure

1.Measure out the 20m running track using markers, cones or lines to indicate the beginning and the end.

2. The athlete must start with his foot on or behind the starting point.

3. Start the test.

4. If the athlete arrives at the end of a shuttle before hearing the beep, he must wait for it before he starts running again.

5. The athlete must carry on running for as long as possible, until he can longer keep up with the speed set by the tape.

6. If the athlete fails to reach the end of the shuttle before the beep, he should be allowed to try two or three more shuttles to try and make up the pace before his test is ended.

7. Write down the level and number of shuttles the athlete has completed.

8. Compare the athletes results with the results of previous tests. As the athlete’s training progresses, he should show better results every time he is re-tested at a later stage.

NOTE: This test is a maximal test, which requires a reasonable level of fitness. It is not recommended for recreational athletes or people with health problems, injuries or low fitness levels.

I don't know where you can buy an audio tape for this test in your country, but I recommend that you contact the local athletics organizations or sports authorities. They should be able to assist you.

-------------------------------------------------------------

BTW This is more fitness related than football but its a good thing to do with a mate once in a while
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2004, 12:02 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Yeah the bleep test is good, but you really need to be in a gym, so you can have a cassette player.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2004, 23:54
BANNED!
Star Player

Ahhh, the pacer! That's what we call it in America. Yeah, that's good, but you'd only want to do it like once a week to test your fitness and to see how it's improving, it's not an everyday thing.

Work on passing of all lengths like you said. Having a large range of passing is vital to becoming a better player. And also, taking balls out of the air. Struggling when the ball comes at you in the air is a big problem in footballers.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2004, 05:39
Legend

Teams: Arsenal & Sydney FC
dont do a beep test before the game, that'll really tire you out.

whats your guys record on the beep test?

i got up to level 9-10.

i hear proffesional football players can finish the whole tape!

Missing the old crew: GarethUK. Wakky, Steph!, Chris, Jern :depress:
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2004, 05:51
BANNED!
Star Player

9 - 10 being 90 to 100? Here it only goes to 125, and I have a mate who does that at a jog, so I wouldn't look into it that much as they are professional players and do have to have a great amount of fitness. It's still something to aim for as a youngster.

The last time I did it I had off-season slag on so I did poorly, but I reckon I could get 90 to 100.

Speaking of running, I think something you should do, especially as you're on a little field, is suicides. This involves starting at one goal line, then sprinting to the edge of the box and back, to the halfway line and back, to the opposite box and back, then the opposite goal line and back. Do 2 of these I reckon to end your training to just add additional fitness to your practice.

Another thing I highly recommend is the purchase of more footballs. Me and my mate have something like 20 footballs between us, so we don't have to worry psychologically or physically about missing shots because we know we'll have more balls to shoot if we miss, and not hit one and not be able to shoot right away. If even if you only have 5 balls, then that'll help your shooting excercises a lot. If you can shoot 5 balls in the time it'd take you to shoot and shag 1, it's going to help you as a player.

Something else that will help us help you in working on your training regime is giving us a detailed analysis of yourself as a play, complete with strengths and weaknesses, as this way we'll be able to pick out drills that will suit what you need a lot better.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2004, 13:00 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

At college last season I got the best in my year of the football academy, but I can't remember what it was exactly. It was high though.

Cheers for the help Gio, I normally take 1/2 balls.

I would say my strengths are passing, I can pick a pass well. My shooting has improved alot also - weakeness's are heading, that's my main one. I can improve on everything though, so anything is helpful.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2004, 14:08
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio Zola
Something else that will help us help you in working on your training regime is giving us a detailed analysis of yourself as a play, complete with strengths and weaknesses, as this way we'll be able to pick out drills that will suit what you need a lot better.
Alright, here goes. I'm a possession player, in a match situation I need to get a few moments on the ball before I can really do anything useful with it, so not very good at moving the ball quickly. The strongest part of my game is shooting, I guess I've practiced that the most over the years. I mostly rely on my pace to go past opponents, I have some basic dribbling capability but in that one on one situation with a defender facing me I'm not very good. I also suffer from bad timing when the keeper rushes out, always too late and can't get a shot in. Long range passing is pretty good, short passes with moving targets is not as good. Not very good at distributing the ball either, in a playmaker role I most often go head on and try some dribbles and a shot rather than pick out a good pass.

My positioning is dreadful, thus I succeed most easily playing on the wing or up front (esp. on counter attacks), in the the middle of the park I get lost. Ball control is decent, ball reception is sometimes very flaky. Heading ability is about zero but I don't care about that anyway.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2004, 14:57
BANNED!
Star Player

Alright, thanks guys, I'll try to give some help on what to do to improve your respective games.

Amiumtaur
If your main weakness is heading, then I know it sounds obvious, but work on your head balls! If you can't really juggle the ball on your head for a long time, then work with a brick wall. Toss the ball off the wall, then head the ball off the wall and back to your hands, then you do it again and again. Pick an average distance that you can easily achieve when the ball comes back off the wall. Work on this for a while. Then start testing yourself by pushing yourself further back to where you really have to get a good header to get the ball to come back to you without bouncing. This way you work on both the accuracy and power of your headers.

Numerodix
It sounds as if you have very powerful legs, which often let you down trying to do more finesse-oriented plays but help you when it comes to long-balls and shots. My advice to learn how to control these legs is to work with an agility ladder. This way you're working on the speed of your feet and making them nimble to fit rapidly into the squares. Also, work on juggling the ball close to your body with your feet. This way you're working more on finesse on the ball, so your short range passing will raise in quality. This will also help your ball reception.

As to your difficulties with moving the ball quickly, I recommend as follows. Find two good solid walls across from eachother. (Reasonable distance, i.e. 15 yards or more) and one ball. What you do is pass the ball off the wall to your left, then when it comes back, recieve, and immediately pass it off the other wall, then when it comes back do it again. Keep doing this back and forth between the two walls (Never more than 2 touches) as you will work on making quick passes and not taking too long on the ball.

Tell me how it goes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2004, 16:12
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Thanks, Gio! Let me elaborate on what you suggested. When it comes to ball reception, it's not so much a lack of ability as it's a mental thing, don't perform well under pressure so stress gets to me in a match. Clearly the objective would be to learn it so well that it will never let me down but that's tricky, already do practice ball reception and general ball skill a lot though.

Actually, do you have any hints on tactics? That's a big weakness of mine, bad positioning and poor at picking out good passes.

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2004, 16:59 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

The thing is juggling the ball on my head I can do well. But accuracy isn't good or not great power. It was just a thing if I play centre-midfield this season that I can work on. I have a good leap, it's just an accuracy issue.

My feet are getting quicker again, and my best asset is beating a man, and getting in a good delivery/shot. They are my strongest things. I have good vision, and always know what is around me, first touch is 90% good, but I try to continue to work on that.

Positional sense is generally good, but considering I always change position, then it doesn't really help me. I am not really a leader on the pitch, I am influential in my play, as I always get involved in everything, but my communicational skills could do with being alot better.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2004, 18:07
World Class Player

I've said it many times and I will say it again, Confidence is key

Sure you have to know your weaknesses but do not let them put you off and Im telling the best thing to do is imagine your not you, I know it sounds abit odd but imagine your someone else, someone that has the ability to do great things on the football pitch.

Like when you are trying to be a playermaker or pick those passes and first touch imagine your a player who does these things with ease

Do this not only in games but in training aswell, Never things twice and just try to perfect the technique beliving you can alway do one better
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2004, 18:21 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

I am confident on the pitch most time, but I am not the greatest believer in my own abilities off the pitch.

Weird.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2004, 19:00 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

I started my one session in my 5th week today, I did a short session than normal, but was enjoyable and worthwhile.

I started off with a ten minute bike ride to the field, then a five minute jog, followed by a 5/10 minute stretch.

5 Mins - Kick-up's, one left, one right for 5 solid minutes.

5 Mins - Ball control - generally hit the ball in the air and certain distances from my body and try and bring the ball down succesfuly.

1xSprint Track - I did the jog/sprint drill, where I would jog three sides of the pitch, sprint one, then jog 2, sprint 2 e.t.c. I did this around the outside of a Mini Soccer pitch.

I then started with the ball at my feet at one goal-mouth of a Mini Soccer pitch, and did what Gio calls "Suicides", but with a ball running high pace looking up. I did it to the edge of box and back, to centre line and back, to opponents box and back, then to the opposite goal-line and back.

5 Mins fluids.

I then use the length of a Mini Soccer goal-area to do in-betweens to the line and back x7.

I then have a twenty/thirty minute shooting/passing session. (I have these two big white board/blockers, which the Cricketers use, do you know what I mean? I couldn't find a pic on the net to show). I just use my trainers to create a goal, and this board reflects any shots, and there is a little square where I try to drop long balls into.

There is metal rail along the bottom so I use it as a barrier for the shots & passing. So I now do one-touch one left pass, one right pass low against this barrier from about 5 yards away.

I then did my warm-down. Not much today but that was a general gist of one of my easier sessions.

Total time of around 1hr30 mins.

Last edited by Dean; October 4th, 2004 at 19:08.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in