Central Midfield Positioning? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:47 Thread Starter
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
Central Midfield Positioning?

hey guys, anyone play Central midfield?

we all know that central midfielders always put in the tackle, break up the play and support their teammates, but its really teh positioning i'm thinking about. this is always a position i wanted to excell at but didn't because I'm running around like a headless chicken most of the time. How do you play this position and how do u not get caught out of positoin is what i'm wondering. thanks.

alm:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2004, 15:38
Rising Star

Teams: FC Porto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolga
It's just about reading and anticipating the play basically, and understanding when to be aggressive and when to hold off..
Absolutely agree, and also knowing the right time when to fill in gaps whether attacking or defending. I think the only way to get better at it is to keep watching others, and to keep playing, gaining experience.

Also you say that you sometimes feel like a 'headless chicken', could this be because you are not 100% concentrated? If you are constantly thinking about the match and try to think one step ahead of the play, watching what your team-mates and opponents are doing, you can be in the right place at the right time, and won't be wasting energy running around where that action 'might' be and you will be focusing energy on where the action 'will' be.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2004, 19:06 Thread Starter
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

hehe thanks. yes i've been watching gerrard for a while, but it is different than on the pitch, just a work of angles really headless chicken may be a bit exaggerated on my part, i let the play develop sometimes but my strength is mobility and getting to the ball. i think as you mentioned, when to be agreessive and when to hold off is where i need to work on.

and its true, when you watch ur favourite players they always rub off on you. i notice that when i get the ball in teh center i just break out in breakneck speeds and run to the opposition's goal line take a shot or pass it off. god save gerrard

alm:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 00:12
Star Player

Teams: Chelsea and I love you - Champions
I'm just a ball chaser, if it means I lose position, then so be it... if I think I can win the ball or close down space I will.

Just keep yourself in and around your opponent and you'll be fine.

"Suck me beautifal"

- STIFMEISTER
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:27
BANNED!
Star Player

Yeah, if you are to play centre midfielder, then you have to have an incredible workrate and amount of fitness. Because any good centre midfielder will be up for every attack and back to defend.

Something I do to study the position is something you can do while bored in class. Like place where the ball is, like some random point on the field. Then figure out where a good centre midfielder would be. Do this for tons of spots all over the field, and you'll get a better sense of where you should be on the game. Then just practise this in training, and execute it in games.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 19:44 Thread Starter
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

good suggestion i will defintely try that.

alm:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 19:52
World Class Player

Yeah Gio Zola gave good advice, Your fitness and tactical awareness and positioning on the pitch has to be great in this position.

BTW your positioning will also depend on the instructions given by your coach and your teammates positions(not only the ball's) on the pitch.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 23:50
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal
BTW your positioning will also depend on the instructions given by your coach and your teammates positions(not only the ball's) on the pitch.
Yeah. You REALLY have to communicate your teammates so you guys can decide where and how you're going to pressure the ball.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2004, 14:57
Xtratime Legend

Teams: teh AFC lolz
You really need good anticipation and awareness to play in the middle. I've played there for a number of years now (my best position is the top of the diamond, like the midfield playmaker). It's hard work, but you have to be sort of one step ahead of your opponent or you'll get skinned every time. First time, watch what he/she does with the ball if you can ... it gets easier the more you go against them.

Awareness is key.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2004, 18:13
International

Teams: AC Milan, Barcelona, Melbourne Knights
Watching Gerrard must be the most pointless exercise in the world if you want to learn the basics of being a central midfielder. It's like watching Roberto Carlos if you're a leftback - it doesn't help your legs to become tree trunks and watching Gerrard won't help your aerobic endurance to get to the level that he has.

The prototype isn't Vieira or Gerrard, it's Makalele Easily the craftiest and most efficient player out of the three, and I dare say possibly the best player by allowing everyone else in the team to play. It requires a level of appreciation that's Zen though, even Robbie Savage might work as the model of how to get the best out of your talent. Kick people, be dirty, dive when you lose possession, etc.

Also when the ball is being carried towards you, whatever you do, don't be moving fast (i.e. run towards him) because a good 7 yo can beat you just by changing direction. When he's close enough that he has to play the ball either by passing or by trying to dribble past you, take a step forward, cut off the angle and/or BREAK HIS #%[email protected]#[email protected] LEGS :evil:

The very most important attribute to a good central midfielder is all in his head. Knowing when to pressure, when to drop off, where your team-mates are and if they have them covered, where to run and where to pass to. The key technical requirement is a good first touch. If you have the ball going where you want it to 99/100, you can play for Real Madrid

how strange it is to be anything at all
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2004, 22:03
International

Teams: Blackburn Rovers
The most important thing for me is communication with your partner (the other MC). What you need to make sure is that one of you always sits in front of the 2 centre backs, and so long as that happens its ok for the other to run around like a headless chicken closing down thier back 4, helping out a full-back or whatever. People talk about central defensive partnerships or striking partnerships but central midfield parings are just as important.

Just try to remember at all times, one of you stays and one of you goes.

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST HAVE NO FUTURE

Champions of England, 1994/95
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2004, 10:41
Xtratime Legend

Teams: teh AFC lolz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politician
The prototype isn't Vieira or Gerrard, it's Makalele Easily the craftiest and most efficient player out of the three, and I dare say possibly the best player by allowing everyone else in the team to play. It requires a level of appreciation that's Zen though, even Robbie Savage might work as the model of how to get the best out of your talent. Kick people, be dirty, dive when you lose possession, etc.
That's completely useless if you're not a defensive midfielder. If you are an attacking central midfielder in the sense of a Pablo Aimar then what good is watching a DM? Useless.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old October 6th, 2004, 10:15
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
unless your legs are five feet long then don't even attempt to play like Patrick Vieira or you will end up looking stupid, he doesn't even have to be in position a lot of the time, he just sticks out one of his telescopic legs and takes the ball.

you could try to stretch them by using one of them medieval stretching machines, it could be painful but your lack of positional play would become less of a factor in your game.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2004, 04:13
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jern Lizardhous
unless your legs are five feet long then don't even attempt to play like Patrick Vieira or you will end up looking stupid, he doesn't even have to be in position a lot of the time, he just sticks out one of his telescopic legs and takes the ball.

you could try to stretch them by using one of them medieval stretching machines, it could be painful but your lack of positional play would become less of a factor in your game.

Interesting point, though, Jern. To really study someone and try to replicate their whole game, you'd need to be the same size and have the same relative physical skills as them.

Like I'm very, very tall so I could study Viera because I have huuuuuuge legs. However a 5'6" centre midfielder couldn't replicate the Frenchman because so much of his game involves the length of his legs. It'd be better to find someone closer to your physique and then replicate them.

However, I am a believer in studying more than one player, as your game will become more of a mix of the better elements of all of them, making you a more complete overall player. If you can tackle like Viera but can't pass or get foward worth anything, you're not going to be useful. It's better to have good all around skills than to be great at one thing and poor at others.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2004, 16:55
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
I play the holding role, stay deep just in front of the defenders, to protect and break up the play, as long as i don't get a rush of the blood and go charging forward i don't get caught out of position, sadly i often get a rush of the blood especially if we're winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in