The influence of boots - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2004, 19:43 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
The influence of boots

Hi guys,

how do you think boots influence your type of play? I myself has bought new Adidas Pulsado boots (indoor) to replace my old (5 year old) Adidas shoes. Now one of my strong points are the long shots (I'm an indoor GK so I should shoot from distance). I noticed that with these new boots my shots are even better. Today, I scored no less than 3 screamers. Also the shots that didn't went in, went in the direction of the goal. I just love these new boots, since they make my shooting better. But.....do you believe boots make you better in a particular discipline, or do you think it is a hype?

Cheers

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2004, 19:57
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Parma
Feel good in your boots, feel good on the pitch.

I love my vapor's now, I feel really confident in what I can do in them. I don't think my long passing is as good, (that's the only thing), compared to my Total 90's Air Zoom II, probably because there is no cushioning on the front of the boot.

But yeah, I think you generally try more stuff and play more confident if your happy to your boots performance.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2004, 11:44
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Parma
I love the Mercurials right now, but last season I was in two minds, and chose my Air Zoom's over them. I think playing in what position would affect my desicion also.

My friend is a goal-keeper and he has just bought the Adidas Copa, boots and they do look like a good sterdy pair of boots, another friend has had his for over two years and there like brand new still.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2004, 18:41
Rising Star

It's 90% mental
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2004, 18:48
World Class Player

More than 90% I would say

Most boots nowadays are of a good quality, They make a difference but not much unless you are a elite player were every little thing can mean the difference between glory and failure.

But if you belive your boots make a difference then wear them because its giving you confidence, And we know how important confidence is in anything not only sports
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 00:15
Star Player

Teams: Chelsea and I love you - Champions
I have Adidas DeltraNova's which are the version behind SUpernova..

Only problem is the moulds position.. sometimes controlling the ball to do skills is harder, which is why sometimes trainers are worn

"Suck me beautifal"

- STIFMEISTER
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:43
BANNED!
Star Player

For me it's all in the mindset.

For example, when I switched from Manias to Vapors I noticed a change in some of the styles of my play. While with Manias I did more moves with the sole of my boot, now with the thinner vapors I do the elastico more and more moves where I take advantage of the thinner boots.

Also, in Vapors I feel faster. I think it's just the Nike BS, but they feel better to run in so I guess I think I am faster in them.

Also, with Manias I felt more confident in taking free kicks, and with Vapors I've had to work a lot on my free kicks to get to and exceed the level of my Mania FK's. I know it's just the thought process, but it's something I've noticed. I also seem to strike my free kicks more with Vapors and bent them more with Manias.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 14:24
Star Player

F50 are good shoes...but I would prefer Copa shoes,Copa rocks!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 17:39
Star Player

Teams: Chelsea and I love you - Champions
If you like Copa's go for Supernova's it's absically the modern version of them.

"Suck me beautifal"

- STIFMEISTER
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 17:59
BANNED!
Star Player

Something that has always intrigued me is the influence of the Adidas Predator on the game and the way boots are made since it's introduction ten years ago.

Always revolutionary, boots haven't been near the same since.

The first, and biggest change, was the Predator technology itself. At the worst, it inflated the egos of player's worldwide, making them think they were capable of things they in fact, were not. At best, it has truly changed the game, bringing more bend and swerve into the game, and revolutionizing free kicks.

Another major change must be in the sole of the boots. For better or for worse, it's never been quite the way it was before the Predator revolution. Before the "traxion" idea, all boots were made with Round studs all across the bottom of the shoe. But with this new bladed stud technology, seemingly all companies have reverted to the blades instead of the rounded spikes, a huge change as any player will know.

A last thing is the idea of introducing something to hold down the tongue during play. Initially using Velcro for the 2000 European Championships model, and since adapting an elastic band for World Cup 2002, it has really changed the game, in a major yet subtle way. As any footballer will tell you, to don't want the tongue flopping around in a game. So before these Predator introductions, you had to either tuck your tongue inside your boot or tie it down with your laces. Both situations were not ideal because of increased pressure on your foot. But with the predator, now you had a way to keep it out of your mind and out of your way, leading to cleaner strikes and better play.

Many other changes have come from the Predator, including the heel counter, split sole, etc. It's often replicated, by companies such as Kelme and Hummell.

What changes will Adidas come up with next to change the way of the game?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2004, 18:27
Rising Star

Teams: Melchester Rovers
Here’s a bit of a rant on the subject of boots, which may be of interest. For years I’ve suffered damage to ankle ligaments, broken toes and bloodied nails whilst playing in the latest scientific, super-sleek, ultra-modern football boots, but this season I‘ve found the answer to my problems by wearing an old pair from the 1950s. The boots are no-frills, heavy duty and cut high enough at the ankle to give protection where it’s needed.

Before wearing them I followed the old rules for breaking them in by soaking them in tepid water, wearing them around the house and softening the leather through liberal use of dubbin - although I didn’t go so far as to urinate in them, which apparently was an old way of making thick leather boots even more pliable. Before games I lace the boots up to the last eyelet, thread the laces through the leather loop at the heel to prevent them riding up and wind the long laces around the sole before tying them in a double knot. I clean and oil the boots immediately after playing.

This may seem a bit eccentric, but science appears to support what I’m doing. A podiatrist acquaintance of mine reckons that the fact that the boots are heavier than modern pairs is immaterial because the feeling of comfort doesn’t relate entirely to size or volume of footwear, but to compression of the outside of the foot by the boots. The buffer surface created at the instep by long laces gives a force of friction by increasing the sweet spot when kicking the ball. Winding the laces around the foot several times cradles the middle foot and acts like a retinaculum and supports the joints, locking the lateral side of the foot and stabilising the foot and ankle.

To be honest, I wouldn’t know my metatarsal arch from my elbow, but as long as boots are durable and offer comfort and protection they are fine by me - even though other players find them amusing. There are also other bonuses - the reinforced cap means that I can toe-poke the ball a la Ronaldo without doing myself an injury and I’ve noticed that normally reckless tacklers now approach with caution. As one of those namby-pamby flair players - or should that be “tanner ball player”? - that suits me just fine.

The crux of the matter is that too many modern football boots are like slippers, which reflect the fashion sense of the wearer rather than work as a functional and effective piece of equipment. Manufacturers don’t seem to realise that football for most of us is totally different from the relatively non-contact sport played at the highest professional level. I mostly play on pitches which are not kept regularly by a groundsman and quickly become victims of the climate - either quagmires or hard as concrete. Lightweight boots are of little use in such circumstances. Isn’t it about time manufacturers went back to producing football boots that are both effective and protective? Someone should start a campaign!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2004, 05:20
Premier Player

Teams: Barcelona
Boots= Express who you are

When Talking To A Girl Take Notes From Mufyn

i L L punisha (10:55:50 PM): and you have the cutest little white girl ass

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2004, 20:10
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAQUEST
Boots= Express who you are
Primadonna..plz
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2004, 01:06
Rising Star

Teams: Boca
Unless they are total shit, the effect of boots is completely mental. In football, though, confidence is everything. So, boots do have some impact. But, a shit player in great boots will remain a shit player. Maradona could have glued cardboard to the bottom of his feet and still have been Maradona.

The only real impact boots have is studs vs. molded. Obviously, if you're trying to play with molded cleats on a muddy pitch you're not going to do too much.

"Es para vos gallina p..., la p... que te parió",
"River no rompas las pelotas, a vos te faltan huevos para ganar la copa."

Greed is a contradiction.

Aguante Los Naranjos. Aguante la casa Diostede.

The Real Axis of Evil:

WTO
World Bank
IMF
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2004, 22:55
Rising Star

Teams: Liverpool FC, Italia
Yeah, I used to love the Copas. They were my previous boots before my Predators. Although I loved how form fitting the leather in the Copas were and used to be hardcore Copa, I definitely noticed a big step up in the Predator Pulses. Crossing and striking seem better (although it's hard to tell if that's because of the boot or if it's a mental thing).

-Scott
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2004, 12:58
Rookie

Whats the benefit of having blades instead of just round studs? And does moving the laces to one side in the Nike boots make any difference (or its it just cosmetic)?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2004, 20:49
BANNED!
Star Player

I believe that Nike says that if the lacing is off-centre then you get a cleaner strike than should the laces been there. Having never played with off centre boots, I wouldn't know. Anybody else know about the truth to this?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2004, 06:39
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
adidas has the asymetrical lacing too. its just a gimmick perhaps but i'm hopng to try it out soon on my preds

btw, does anyone know which preds have "clip in" studs and which have just "normal" XTRX blades? i'm thinking of buying a replacement pack just in case but i don't know which kind i need for Predator Manias. (on sale ) and do the shoes come with a stud key? thanks

alm:
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2004, 08:55
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolga
The outside of my right foot is my left foot!
lol

Yeah, I was just curious since I'm thinking about getting a new pair of boots and I'm skeptical of all these fancy new technological "improvements". As it is, there isn't much choice in Australia, and all our grounds are hard anyway, so its the length of the stud that probably matters more.
A good pair of black boots with round studs and i'll be fine :thmbup:
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2004, 09:45
Rookie

Yes, Paul's definitely crap. I've only been there once, a few years ago. I've gotten most of my boots from Rebel for years. I must admit I haven't heard of Peter Wynn's - should check it out. Thanks for the info :thmbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in