The "Skills Development" Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 23:19 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Parma
The "Skills Development" Thread

This can be a thread to help others, and others to help you develop yourself.

Right down what skills can be used effectively in a match, and break them down into steps so other users can understand and practice to develop their play, i.e - The best time to pull off the trick, the positioning of yourself and the defender.

Practice methods would also be good, so we can try them to get better at the skill.

Basically a thread where you can ask questions and read advice for skills to get away from someone in a game.

Hopefully this can turn out helpful to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 23:22
Legend

Teams: Albania NT, Parma
As a right winger, run down the flank and when a player is chasing you, you just stop, normally he can't stop at the moment so you can cut in to the centre and either take a shot or pass or dribble again. You can do the same in the other flank too.

I don't have a sig.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 23:32 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

The most obvious one in beating a man, is the "dropping of the shoulder" technique. Although it is very simple, it is still very effective.

If you run at a man straight, and then drop your shoulder for instance, and move your body left, and then take the ball away with you to the right.

So when you head towards him, slow down and make it look like your taking the ball left by exaggerating the movement, and leaving the ball infront of you, then jink back right, and take the ball with you.

I started with an obvious one, but like I said, it does work.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2004, 12:15
Arsenal Fan
International

Teams: Arsenal
when running towards a defender, roll the ball from right to left by brushing the top of the ball with your right foot, then stepover it with your left foot and run to the right of the defender whilst the ball goes left. it should look smooth and also quite complicated, but is very easy to do.

Quote:
Being self sufficient is important, I agree, but being retarded is something else.
Benjamin, 2011
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2004, 20:20
BANNED!
Star Player

Ummm is it just me or does that sound like you're losing the ball with that move?

Okay, here are my recommendations:

Stepover: While this move can be used just about anywhere, I find the best place to use it is when on the flank and you're trying to get a cross in. Should you be on the left flank, stepover with your right and go left, getting a quick cross, and vice versa. Another great way to use this is throwing one with each foot, that move never really fails, it always gets you that half yard of space you need.

Pendulum: You might not know this move by name, but using it rapidly typically works wonders on a defender, especially in tight spaces. Lets say you receive the ball on your right foot. Well then tap it from your right to your left, then back you your right, then back to your left, then accelerate and you're gone. If you do this really quick, it's nearly impossible for a defender to stop, and they don't see it used much.

Rollover: This is just the rolling of the ball from one foot to another. This move usually works as a fake, as you act like you are going to strike the ball but instead you roll it across your body and go. You can also throw a stepover into the mix to really throw off the defender.

Pirouette: I'm not sure what you might call it, but it's also known as the Maradona or Marseille Spin. Zidane does it a lot. There are many ways to do it, and many situations. However, just doing it when running at a guy usually doesn't work. One situation I've found it effective is when a pass is played behind you and someone is tracking back from the oppositition to try to get the ball. First off, get to the ball first! Then, first taking a touch on your right foot, spin 180 with the ball while transferring it to your left. When on your left, spin another 90 and you're facing the goal. Sounds complicated but it really isn't. Another good time is as two defenders converge on you, but there's space in between them. Use the move and split the defenders. If you are to do this right footed (right foot to left foot spin) then start out by touching the ball slightly to the right of the defender on your left. This gets him leaning, ever so slightly, to this side. After this touch, do your pirouette and split the men. Do the move quickly, or they'll realise what you're doing and hack you.

Cryuff Turn: This move is really good when on the wings and you're trying to throw the defender off so you can get a cross in to the middle. The way I find most effective goes as follows: Let's say you're on the left wing, and there's a defender on you. First, go sideways to him (left shoulder facing him) to shield the ball. Then, roll the ball back away from the goal with your right foot, making him think you're going to pass the ball. Then, drastically fake the pass before performing the turn by using your right foot to pull the ball back behind your left foot, almost always opening up space for the cross.

That help anyone?

Last edited by Gio Zola; August 31st, 2004 at 20:31.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2004, 13:14 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Good explanations Gio. I am sure these moves suggested from everyone can be helping people beating players.

I don't have it a name but I think this is very effective:

Say you are running from the right flank inside at a opponent, then you do this all on one foot. If your running from the right - use your right foot and vice versa.

Run at him and knock the ball inside, but not too far and very quickly back outside with the same foot - this has to be performed at high speed!.

If you can keep this close control this will fool a defender 95% of the time. Because you are sharply turning inside and as soon as they can react to that, you have already gone back the other way. It normally leaves you with a good 2/3 yards of space.

Do you understand, or want me to explain further?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2004, 20:21
Rising Star

Teams: Bolton Wanderers, FC Barcelona & Brazil NT
Cheeky Nutmeg

When running at an opposition player, step over the ball to the left with your right foot (which should open up his legs), and tap the ball through his legs with your left from the first motion. You can also do it with opposite feet, doesn't matter.

I had a teammate do this to me and I just hung my head in shame.

Tricky move, but simple. :smileani:

So good they named him twice. Augustine 'Jay-Jay' Okocha is considered to be one of the most skilled players that the English Premier League has to offer. With his dazzling tricks, blazing speed, and rocket of a shot, he is a deadly presence on the pitch. Captaining both club and country by his "lead by example" type of play, any club would be more than eager to sign the Nigerian wizard.

[I]"Th
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2004, 20:39 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Cool Rooty. These are good, keep the unusual skills coming!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2004, 00:36
BANNED!
Star Player

Okay, I had some more time so I thought I'd add something else

Elastico: This extravagant move, when pulled off successfully, usually makes the opposition look like a fool and yourself look like the extremely suave player you want to be known as. If you are not familiar with this, it's a move Ronaldinho does frequently, where you push the ball, in the air with the outside of one foot, then quickly snap it back with the inside. When well executed quickly it's nearly impossible to defend. The best time to do this is when faced up with a defender on the opposition's box, and you're trying to beat him and get a cross in. It's not the best move for when you're just running at a guy, but works well on the flanks.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:39
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio Zola
Okay, I had some more time so I thought I'd add something else

Elastico: This extravagant move, when pulled off successfully, usually makes the opposition look like a fool and yourself look like the extremely suave player you want to be known as. If you are not familiar with this, it's a move Ronaldinho does frequently, where you push the ball, in the air with the outside of one foot, then quickly snap it back with the inside. When well executed quickly it's nearly impossible to defend. The best time to do this is when faced up with a defender on the opposition's box, and you're trying to beat him and get a cross in. It's not the best move for when you're just running at a guy, but works well on the flanks.

In the Nike commercial he pushes the ball in the air but usually he does it on the ground(the ball never leaves the ground).
I think in the commercial he messed up on the move a bit(which is why it went in the air) but he pulled it off anyways and it looked very nice so they left it like that.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:26
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
I was gonna mention the Piroutte but Gio already covered that. I don't really understand the Cruyff turn, maybe you could take another stab at explaining?

Meanwhile I got a very simple move for you.

The lob
It's ridiculous how simple it is if you think about it but the fact is that just about all short passes are played on the ground. So when you're in a tight spot with maybe 2 guys on you and you want to release the ball to a teammate, don't *always* look for the horizontal pass, when they think they have you pinned down as good as can be, lob it at knee height and it just about guarantees success. Best of all, they never ever expect it. Obviously you can also use this for higher lobs as well, provided it's good and your teammate can handle it, it's a very effective way of getting by.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2004, 16:09
Rising Star

Teams: Juventus and Korea
a simple move that might have been mentioned already:

I usually do this when i'm in a defending situation, tracking back with an opposition attacker closing in, and i'm facing my own goal with the ball in front of me. Just say you're on the left side of the field (from your own point of view). Fake a pass to your own keeper with your left foot, but step over the ball, then quickly turn around and take off with the ball using your right. It's pretty simple, and forwards aren't usually very good at reading moves (myself for example)

to live is Christ and to die is gain -Philippians 1:21

Christ came to pay a debt he didn't owe, because we owed a debt we couldn't pay.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 16:01
World Class Player

Teams: Internazionale
I'll post a move that I use often in games.

Fake Kick: I'm a right footed player playing on the left wing, my left foot is nothing to brag about so I try to avoid crossing with it. We play a 4-5-1 so I get plenty of support and my left back is left footed so many times he overlaps me and what not, this move is an easy way to get a shot on goal. If you've got a defender on you and he isn't too close, you're on the wing with an angle to take a shot you give the ball space and just act as if you're going to blast the ball but rather you just kick it lightly leaving your defender in the air.

I'm a very technical player but Gio has basically posted all the moves, good stuff . :thmbup:

Nulla impossibile per questa Inter
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 20:29
BANNED!
Star Player

Actually, I'd love to hear what you have to say on the moves I've posted. Different people use the same move in different manners at different times.

For example, some people stop the ball with their first touch on a pirouette, things like that.

As to the cryuff turn, numerodix, think of it like this. Plant your feet and your body as in you're going to shoot the ball. Then, right as you get prepared to strike the ball, when planting your non-shooting foot, instead of planting it straight, instead turn it outside, preparing yourself for the turn. Then, instead of striking the ball with your right turn your hips as late as possible and pass the ball back behind you with the inside of your right foot, and turn.

That explain it better?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 20:39
BANNED!
Star Player

This is sort of a skill, but not like...dribbling at a guy, but it's dead useful in a match, so I thought I'd share how I've found out how to do it best.

Chip: Numerodix has explained this to an extent, but this is a way you can get the ball very high and to drop very suddenly. As opposed to following through as you clip under the ball when chipping, instead lean back and after you hit the ball, flick your kicking foot back and don't follow through. The ball will go very high and drop very suddenly. Use this when chipping a goalkeeper or trying to play a high pass.

Now, you can also use this to add dip to a powerful shot. When striking the ball, hit it with your laces in the middle of the ball, but don't follow all the way through. The ball will dip very well.

That help?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 20:46
World Class Player

Teams: Internazionale
Ok, here's a move that I love to use.

Roulette: Yes, it's the move that Zizou does oh so often. It's the move that gives you goosebumps when done correctly. I like to use this move when I've got a circle of 2 or 3 defenders in front of me, and if they are not all that experienced your sure to gain some time confusing them. This move doesn't work quite like Zidane for me, but it's definately usefull.

To do this I first plant my left foot on the ground then slightly give it a touch backwards. Without looking, I nudge it with the outside of my life foot turning 180 and turn my body around. Voila! I've got the ball at my feet and managed to make a fool out of a few defenders.

Many times I hit it too hard with the outside of my left foot when turning because sometimes I don't do it too quick and my feet are too careless.

Nulla impossibile per questa Inter
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 12:11 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

There must be a video Numerodix can view?

The Cruyf is easy yet one of the most effective. I use it alot. Especially when trying to make that extra yard for a shot.

You really have to throw to the defender that you are going to cross or shoot, convince him with your body shape, and as you go to strike the ball, simply put your standing foot next to the ball and then with the foot you was about to cross/shoot, then flick the ball between your legs, behind the standing foot, so you can sharply turn and get your cross/shot in with the other foot.

Guaranteed to get you that extra yard, but don't over-use it, cos' it looks better when you crack it out!

There is also another common more simply skill you may of see John O'Shea do against Newcastle.

Imagine you are on the left flank close to the throw-in line, you have a defender to the right around 5 yards away, and another defender infront of you about 5 yards, so it looks something like this:

[____ DF
[_________DF
[_____AT

What you can do to get out of this situation is a double movement.

Firstly role the ball with the top of you right foot to the left to evade the first man then immediately tap it back inside with your left foot. Very simple!

You have to role the ball with the sole of your foot accurately to the inside of your left foot then push it back across in-field. So you make a movement outside-inside using that simple technique. It is a good way of getting out a trapped position.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 13:27
Rising Star

http://www.strongsoccer.com/Kingdril...pspractice.htm

theres cruyff turn and others clips of moves....description on " how to do it" included i think...

have a try
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 15:01 Thread Starter
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Looks like a fairly good site.

Not the best clip ever for the Cruyff turn, but it gives you more of a visual image to the instructions.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 15:48
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
I wonder if anyone is doing this one... much like the Cruyff turn but do this for ball reception. The ball is headed towards you, position yourself facing it so that you can take it down with your right leg. As it comes, take it down flat with your right leg, then move your foot backwards and slide the ball to the left, behind your other foot. I can do this like half the time now and it's cool for a situation when you're under pressure, you're expecting a tackle to come once you get the ball so you just pass it on right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio Zola
As to the cryuff turn, numerodix, think of it like this. Plant your feet and your body as in you're going to shoot the ball. Then, right as you get prepared to strike the ball, when planting your non-shooting foot, instead of planting it straight, instead turn it outside, preparing yourself for the turn. Then, instead of striking the ball with your right turn your hips as late as possible and pass the ball back behind you with the inside of your right foot, and turn.

That explain it better?
Oh *that*, damn I didn't get it the first time. Yeah sure it's a popular move, seen all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiumtaur
There is also another common more simply skill you may of see John O'Shea do against Newcastle.

Imagine you are on the left flank close to the throw-in line, you have a defender to the right around 5 yards away, and another defender infront of you about 5 yards, so it looks something like this:

[____ DF
[_________DF
[_____AT

What you can do to get out of this situation is a double movement.

Firstly role the ball with the top of you right foot to the left to evade the first man then immediately tap it back inside with your left foot. Very simple!

You have to role the ball with the sole of your foot accurately to the inside of your left foot then push it back across in-field. So you make a movement outside-inside using that simple technique. It is a good way of getting out a trapped position.
Oh yeah I've seen Mido do that one, it looks very slick.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in