My 11-A-Side Team - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2004, 23:17 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

My 11-A-Side Team

As the season is to start very shortly, and in the mould of The Green One's 5--A-Side team thread, I thought I'd detail the team I will be on this fall, our results, etc.

My High School side (I'm 15, second year of four before college) begins play on thursday, with a game against regional side West Plains. We play 22-25 games, with it all rounding off November 1st with the District Play-offs.

Our team has many problems facing us ahead of this season, many off the pitch, that could hinder a very promising side's progress.

First off, our school is in poor economic shape. We only got enough players to put together a football side two years ago, and we've struggled to provide appropriate supplies ever since. One problem facing us is with the money to purchase uniforms and warm-ups for our side. We've ended up having to use kits from the past that we will not be able to keep. Another problem is our training facility. We train at a park in the middle of what many might refer to as the "Ghetto," as it's the only location available to our team due to the financial troubles facing the school. The park has a history of gang problems, and the homes surrounding it are not the most inviting. There is no track to run on, so instead we have to run laps around the park, which typically ends up very dangerous due to a large portion of where we run having many potholes. The field itself is not in the worst shape, but still has many problems, like thin, patchy grass, nothing but dirt on the corner spots, and an uneven pitch.

After training on it for 3 weeks (max amount of time allowed for training with coach before season begins) it's amazing we haven't had any serious injuries. The only one suffered is someone snapping tendons and that was off the pitch, so we've done remarkably well.

Despite all of these problems, we've still managed to put together a solid, youthful team that stands a chance of reversing our bad past record, and doing relatively well. The core of our team is in their third year, and still has another year to go next year.

With the experience we gain this year, by the time next year rolls around it could be a very very good team that we're sending out.

Now to the details of the team:

GK - Ariel - 3rd Year: Never played goalkeeper until he arrived at our school, he's made remarkable improvement, largely due to a very good goalkeeping instructor our coach somehow got us. With his tutelage he's made great improvements in his play. A very aggressive keeper, although slightly short, he's good at claiming crosses and at one on one situations, although sometimes drops or lets in shots that shouldn't otherwise go in.

Left Back - Craig - 1st Year: You may know him as premleague1438 from Xtratime. He's the only Freshman on our squad, and is a very good addition. Although poor at dealing with long passes in the air, his overall height and leg length makes him a pain to get past at the back. Good knowledge of the game, great speed, and a decent touch and passing ability make him a good player.

Sweeper - Panfilo - 3rd Year - Very fast sweeper, great dribbling skills, and a good passer of the ball with a great shot, he's one of our best players. Solid at sweeper, he can also move up to stopper should the need arise. Great header of the ball, keeps a cool head. Can't really be run past.

Stopper - Jessie - 3rd Year - Not the quickest, but always seems to get to the ball. Can be run past, but is usually given good enough cover by Pan that it's alright. Good on the ball, clears well.

Right Back - Julio - 2nd Year - Quick, passes well, although dwells on it a bit much at the back. Good positionally, although he'll likely need help from our right wing or stopper in dealing with really talented players.

Left Wing - Isaac (me) - 2nd Year - I'm not the quickest off the ball, but on it I can be quite a nuisance. I run at people very well at pace, and have a good enough arsenal of tricks to slick my way past a guy if I need. Good enough shot, I can time my runs alright, pass well, and even though I'm on my weaker foot I usually can get in good crosses from the left. Not the best defender, however, and sometimes I try to be too tricky.

Defensive Centre Mid - Chris - 3rd Year - A fast player with a terriffic right footed shot and a great range of passing. However, for some reason is hesitant to shoot much of the time, and doesn't get stuck into many tackles.

Attacking Centre Mid - Zach - 3rd Year - Our captain, this short, fiesty little player is the heart of our team. Very fast, good on the ball, and an amazing talent of passing and shooting, he'll lead us much of the time. A problem is his tendency to curse and get booked, as he gained 7 yellows and 1 red last season for cursing. Just why this is a problem I'll detail later.

Right Wing - Mike - 3rd Year - Pacy wing, good crosser, great at getting in the box and scoring. Not to mention has a really really hot girlfriend. Can get back and defend, but is injury prone. He'll struggle to stay fit.

Striker - Herson - 3rd Year - Part 1 of our great Hispanic strikeforce, Herson is our moustached little man with a great shot. He links well with Tobi, and is quick enough to get onto through balls. Good passer, although sometimes takes shots when he should be looking to pass, and vice versa.

Striker - Tobi - 3rd Year - The second half, Tobi scores bags of goals in a tandem with Herson. Fast, good finisher, although overly tricky, and is too selfish on the ball a lot of the time. Should score bags of goals, however.

Now there's a weird rule here where if you receive 10 yellows as a team then your coach is suspended for a game. This is a problem as we don't have enough players for an assistant, so we'd have to forfeit our match. It's BS, but that's Missouri rules.

We should be good this year, and really good next year as we gel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2004, 23:35
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Parma
Good luck Gio, hopefully you can find some funding for at least new kits.

Where abouts in America are you?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 00:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Good luck, hopefully we'll both be toasting success soon! Report back with match reports, I look forward to it.

~ The Green ne

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 03:43 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Of course Green One. Thanks for the support, we'll need it, $$$ wise.

I'm located in Springfield, Missouri. If you've heard of the Ozarks, that's where I am.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 23:35
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Not at all heard of it sory Gio. Have you read my report yet? We finally won! I'll make sure I keep reading yours, these things are always interesting.

~ The Green ne
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 23:39
Missing Guidolin.
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Parma
Can't say I have heard of it Gio no. Couldn't you get a local business to sponsor your team at all?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2004, 20:35 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Well it's where they get all of these "Hicks From The Sticks" things yadda yadda. The Beverly Hillbillies were located in MO apparently before they moved to Beverly, and they've shot an episode down here.

Yeah I heard Green, I'm glad, sounds like your team is coming along. Also, even though you're bottom I'd love to be in that whole relegation/promotion thing, it sounds so exciting We don't have that here...the only promotion they do is to put girls teams in boys leagues!

We're working on sponsors - we're also just working on doing well so we can get more funding.

A problem has also come up. Tobi (one of our fowards) has gone down with an ankle sprain. He's limping right now even when walking, and although he can play, he's in obvious pain and can't really run. We really need him as we don't have another able foward. We don't really have the talent to revert to a 4-5-1 or a 5-4-1, so we're in a bit of a dilemna. Pray for us that he'll be better by Thursday!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2004, 00:07
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

respond to my topic, its falling down Gio!

~ The Green ne
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2004, 02:20 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Central 1 - 2 West Plains

In a bitterly fought out first game, we lost, not by lack of effort, but due, largely in part to poor refereeing.

A common problem that faces our school is a large anti-Hispanic and Central feeling because we are predominately African-American and Hispanic, and in these parts a lot of officials tend to be kind of biased against us, as I suppose they are either racist or just don't like us because, economically, we aren't always the best off.

Throughout the game we got fouls called against us that shouldn't have been called, fouls not called that should have been, and offsides ruled when players were clearly onside or not involved in the play.

Early they got one from a shot from the edge of the arc after our sweeper came when he shouldn't have, and their second off of a goalmouth scramble.

They dominated the first half, and could've had another two or three before the night was done.

However, just seconds into the second half, we got a bit of a break after a long ball wasn't properly dealt with, and Herson went around the keeper and scored. Just about a minute later, Tobi went through, but on his sprained ankle he could only roll the ball wide tamely. We dominated play, and Mike sent a shot off the bar with the keeper beaten.

In a end-to-end second half, we had the better of the play, but were denied several genuine opportunities by poor calls.

The biggest incident of the half occured when one of their players shoulder barged Tobi after he spun him with a delightful turn, bringing him down extremely painfully on his already badly sprained ankle, leaving him writhing in pain. It's a possible break. Less than a minute later, the same player brought down Herson, another Hispanic, however the play went on with Mike going through and scoring, only for the call, amazingly, to go against us.

Dissapointing result, however we get another bite at the apple tomorrow, against Lebanon, a team that beat West Plains 3-2 in overtime.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2004, 03:07
Rising Star

Teams: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio Zola
Central 1 - 2 West Plains

In a bitterly fought out first game, we lost, not by lack of effort, but due, largely in part to poor refereeing.

We can't totally blame the officiating, though it was a large obsticle. Teams that totally blame the men in black are just coming up with reasons why there weren't good enough. We were good enough and yes the officiating did hold us back, but we should have made more of some of our chances.

Sometimes finding you is like trying to smell the color nine.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2004, 16:37
Star Player

Teams: Chelsea and I love you - Champions
I'm about to start a season with a new team, if I get into shape properly I have a feeling I could really get into top performance, and if I wanted i'm sure I could take the step up into the proffesionals. Howver i'll never reach the top and the pay is crap at the lower echelons of football, so I hink i'll keep it with banter

"Suck me beautifal"

- STIFMEISTER
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2004, 20:27 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Craig, that's why I said "largely in part to" Yes, it is fair to say that when it denied us several clear goal-scoring opportunities.

We leave in 10 minutes for our second match. I think we'll do better against the 4-4-2 Lebanon plays as opposed to 3-4-3 run by West Plains.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2004, 01:12
World Class Player

Teams: Internazionale
I've just started training with my U-17 club last week. It's my first season playing with this team so I had to get my papers in and all sorts of that good stuff, but I am now registered and have had two full practices under my belt. We were supposed to have a scrimmage today but due to the Hurricane it was delayed (which is actually taking forever to come here, latest news is it'll be here on Sunday and I'm starting to think that they made us panic just to get us to go to the store and buy crap.. simple way to help the economy).

I play the same position as you on this team, left wing. I'm right footed but I find it pretty easy to play at this spot because you can cut in, but of course my crosses with my left foot aren't that special so I can't really be much of a threat in that department. I've always been a skilled player but I have to work on my stamina and my fitness in general, on my first week of training I was getting tired way too easily but this week on Monday when we trained after running 7 laps, training on the ball and eight minutes of sprinting at the end of practice I wasn't even tired. I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

Keep us updated on your story, Gio. Best of luck to your school, try outs for our High School Varsity squad isn't up 'till October 20th. Almost two friggin' months.

Nulla č impossibile per questa Inter
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 00:53 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Central 2 - 4 Lebanon

A match that ended in the most controversial of circumstances, we were forced to forfeit the match after our coach was ejected 15 minutes from the end, with the score at 4-2 in Lebanon's favour.

After Zach got a yellow card out of nowhere, our coach got into a debate with one of the two (grumbles at only having two referees) officials after he wouldn't tell her why he got booked. First she got a yellow, then apparently he told her to walk away, so she did, before he gave her a red card.

As our school doesn't have enough players to have a real "assistant" the game was over then. Extremely bizzare ending to a game we essentially threw away.

As to the game itself, we were outplayed by a team much better at posessing the ball, but in the end we gave up goals that shouldn't have been conceded, and that was what made the difference in an electrifying contest.

Early on it was rather end to end, as they held the ball more consistently but we broke at electric pace through two substitute fowards, as both Tobi and Herson were unavailable through injury after the poorly officiated West Plains game.

Good skill from Zach brought a free kick on the right side of the box, which was cleverly bent in with the outside of Zach's right boot. A glanced header from Gabe was saved excellently onto the post but he was right on hand to tap in right on the goal line to put us into the 1-0 lead.

Lebanon pushed up in an effort to equalise, but we defended well against the excellent pace of their fowards. Morris stayed on one of their men on the ball well before winning the ball and being pushed over. I took the free kick from about 5 yards within our half immediately, looking for Gabe and to catch their defense off guard. Gabe knocked the ball ever so slightly into the middle, where Zach's wheel's got him in, before he rounded the goalkeeper and knocked in.

2-0. They came nearly straight back and scored with a header from their 7'6" centre midfielder from a corner. At this point they were just coming at us nearly non-stop, and it was only a matter of time before they got the equaliser. About 10 minutes later, a slight deflection after another header from another corner made it 2-2.

About 5 minutes later (all first half) a goalmouth scramble ended in Jessie blasting into our own goal. 3-2. An amazing first half came to an end with the same scoreline, terriffic stuff.

A more spirited side came out in the beginning of the second half, as we went close several times. The biggest chance, in my mind, was the denial of what was a penalty perhaps five minutes in.

It was a borderline call, but a call that likely would have been made had there been a linesman rather than 2 centres. After being played through on the left, I cut back inside on one, and as splitting two while stepping inside the box, I was cut down. However, with the ref nearly 35 yards away he couldn't see where I really was (inside the box) and indicated for a free kick to be taken nearly 2 yards outside the box. From the freekick Zach rolled the ball into the keeper's hands, but with a penalty the stakes would obviously have been so much more likely for us to have gotten the equaliser.

Not too long later their 8 broke through and finished to put them into a 4-2 lead, and they continued to really control much of the game, but it was still an injustice to have the game end the way it did.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 22:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Woah thats bad! You've had a bad start, but don't worry. From what I hear you're doing pretty well, and pushing teams all the way. A little bit of luck and you could get a few points on the board. I am sure you'll do well once you gel. It took my team a while to gel, and now we're winning games.

I hope you gel anyway, as you might get points deducted for forfeiting, you never know. Anyway, keep on plugging, cos I'm sure you're good enough to start winning matches.

~ The Green ne
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2004, 00:59 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

I'm too knackered to type it all out, I will give you a report tomorrow however.

Just let me say, we won 3-2 with a golden goal in an incredible match, having already had a goal called back just minutes earlier.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2004, 01:36
Rising Star

Teams: United States
Victory is ours at last and oh how sweet it is

Sometimes finding you is like trying to smell the color nine.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2004, 23:05 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

Central 3 - 2 Greenwood

So I finally got some free time to type out this report, thanks to a Mouth Bling appointment getting me out of school early.

Central 3 - 2 Greenwood

We finally gathered our first win of the season in the most exciting fashion, with a golden goal eight minutes into overtime sending us on our way.

Just minutes earlier a perfectly legal goal had been ruled out by the officials because a whistle hadn't been blown.

But in the end, we got the three points out of the gripping game.

The first five minutes we were highly shakey, and were repetitively torn apart by the opposition's #12, who tore us apart again and again. Inside of the first two minutes, he broke free and scored from less than six yards out, despite appearing offside. Just a couple of minutes later, Ariel came up with a huge save on another 1on1 opportunity, keeping us in the game when we were doing nothing.

However, after these poor first minutes we seemed to gel, suddenly gradually gaining posession and pushing the opposition onto the back foot. Several half chances ensued, but no clear cut opportunity broke until Zach finally went past their last defender and bore down on goal, only to tamely roll the ball into the goalkeeper's hands.

Despite this let off, we went into halftime highly spirited, as we'd had all of the play for the first half bar 5 minutes.

For the third successive game, we came out of the gates firing as the second half started. Immediately we seized the ball and just went right at their throats, pushing for the deserved equaliser.

It was to come less than five minutes in, with Zach getting into another breakaway situation, this time making no mistake, beating the goalkeeper with ease. 1-1.

Then, nearly immediately we got the second goal. I played a very long ball down the left side, but too far for our chasing foward to get to. However, their goalkeeper came way out, and then did nothing but kick it to Gabe. After rounding the goalkeeper, he went to goal, and after cutting inside, he totally whiffed the ball, rolling it slowly into the near post past the covering defender. Never mind, it's 2-1.

We kept pushing foward for the third, but were shocked instead to concede a very soft equaliser ten minutes later. Seizing the ball about 22 yards out, their 12 struck a half decent shot right at our goalkeeper, totally handleable, however, he somehow let it right through his hands, a totally David James-esque blunder.

We didn't let the mistake affect our game, however, we continued to play our game and were unlucky not to get the winner in regular time.

As the final whistle blew, our whole team was entirely frustrated at letting the points slip through our hands. However, as we walked off the field, our coach said "Keep up the good work." It was then I remembered that we'd play two 10 minute extratime periods, with the first goal winning, and no penalties.

About five minutes into the first period, as we broke on a counter attack, but were stopped by an opposition handball. Incredulously, first off the referee's blew for a free kick against us. However, they reversed the decesion, giving us the free kick, which Chris took quickly, sending Zach through, who finished brilliantly, giving us our first win. Or so we thought. As we all grouped together, celebrating our first win, the referees suddenly blew their whistles and told us that they "hadn't blown their whistle" to restart play, giving us a free kick at the spot of the infraction. We were absolutely stunned. Never before, even with the poor officiating we endured, had we had a decision like this go against us.

However, this was a day when no matter what happened, we were determined to finally get our first win. Less than three minutes later a short string of passes saw Herson break free through the middle. Despite being held back and pushed the whole way, the man fouling him slipped, leaving him free from less than six yards, and he comfortable scored the winner, sending us into our second frenzy of the match. And this time the goal stood.

A big thing about this win is that Greenwood is a Lab (private) school, run in part by a local University, so they are $ $ $ So beating them is great because we are definately their opposite. (NOT the money school)

We now have a lengthy off period, which I will need for my busted knee, mouth, and hip from the game.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2004, 13:58 Thread Starter
BANNED!
Star Player

So our lengthy break is finally over. We had a really really long time to endure no football matches, but now we have three in the space of two days, in a 6 team tournament. Last night was our first game, then today we play at 11am then either 4pm for the Championship or 2pm for Third Place. Wish us luck.

Anyways, to last night's match:

Central 4 - 0 New Covenant

Simultaneously a brilliant yet poor performance. A strange match played on a nice but vastly undersized field saw up te the whole game but end up struggling to get goals.

In the absense of Zach, I slid inside into the whole between midfielder's and foward's, and Nick went out left. While not a left footed player by any means, he always works his butt off and passes a lot so he's a great player to have.

We started the game off very well, having all of the ball and creating several half chances through free kicks and crosses. The breakthrough came quickly, with Gabe sending a brilliant through ball for Herson to run in and tap in past the goalkeeper after just seven minutes.

After the goal, we continued our tion but just couldn't get the second goal. We struggled with the dimensions of the field to an extent, and also the extremely physical and dull approach of New Covenant. Most of the time we were attacking, they had 8 men behind the ball, in a 50x40 area. It got pretty congested. The other thing about them was their very rough style of play. Every single tackle they just swung through the ball, often going through you as well. Several times our men were unfortunate enough to try to go around these guys...some very bad fouls ensued.

Although initially thrown, we were able to see out the half still having the better of the play. Dissapointed to see the scoreline only reading one goal in our favour, AGAIN we came out and started the second half in brilliant fashion.

Dominating the play, we exhausted them by working our outside wings to perfect, repeatedly pushing play out wide, making them do the running, and wearing them down.

We were still held, however, until about twenty-five minutes into the second half. Then the floodgates opened. In ten minutes we got three, sending a narrow victory into a romp.

More importantly, however, is just how well we played overall. A repeat of that performance against Cassville, and we're in the final.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:10
Premier Player

Teams: Germinal Beerschot, Avenir Beggen!!
i like this:
"Right Wing - Mike - 3rd Year - Pacy wing, good crosser, great at getting in the box and scoring. Not to mention has a really really hot girlfriend. Can get back and defend, but is injury prone. He'll struggle to stay fit."

It is important that you have a hot girlfriend. That way when you lose, at least you have a hot girlfriend.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in